Dookie 30th Anniversary

Liam

Is that vocal slowed down for the video or is it fake ? Also the guitar doesn't sound like billies playing or guitar tone to me . Sounds like the 120 mins with added instruments on top of it

• Confused 1
  • Surprised 1

"Walking the Dog" was a little disappointing with how low quality it sounded, but I guess that's why it's the only outtake listed as a "demo". Finally hearing the "Christie Road" re-recording after all this time was amazing, I see some people complaining about the slower pace but I actually really like it, I think it helps make this version sound a little more unique compared to the Kerplunk version. I always loved the "409 in Your Coffeemaker" re-recording, so hearing it get properly mixed and released on streaming is so great.

I'm a little shocked the "J.A.R." outtake appears to have been left off? "On the Wagon" and "Tired of You" are already available because of "Shenanigans", but I wonder why they didn't release "J.A.R." with this, unless it just sounds the exact same as the already released version?

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Cooper Castille said:

"Walking the Dog" was a little disappointing with how low quality it sounded, but I guess that's why it's the only outtake listed as a "demo". Finally hearing the "Christie Road" re-recording after all this time was amazing, I see some people complaining about the slower pace but I actually really like it, I think it helps make this version a little more unique compared to the Kerplunk version. I always loved the "409 in Your Coffeemaker" re-recording, so hearing it get properly mixed and released on streaming is so great.

I'm a little shocked the "J.A.R." outtake appears to have been left off? "On the Wagon" and "Tired of You" are already available because of "Shenanigans", but I wonder why they didn't release "J.A.R." with this, unless it just sound the exact same as the already released version?

When I read that there was to be a J.A.R. outtake, I was both excited and surprised. I really love this song coupled with it's sad and emotional connection. 

Surprised as I already have 4 sound variations of the song if my memory is correct. There's the acoustic version from the 3 song demo cassette '92, the Art of Ears and Dancing Dog studios demo versions '93, and the latest version recorded for Angus soundtrack '95.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Clockwise said:

Billie's vocals changed quite a lot between Kerplunk and Dookie. 

Better recording equipment might have had something to do with that

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Walking the dog sounds like a lou reed or velvet underground song

The original song is from 1963 by Rufus Thomas, it has many covers. Damn, Green Day did something really different compared to the rest of the songs from Dookie Sessions recording this cover, you know... experimental Green Day stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOHofU8CQYs&ab_channel=The45Prof

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Insomniac1984 said:

The original song is from 1963 by Rufus Thomas, it has many covers. Damn, Green Day did something really different compared to the rest of the songs from Dookie Sessions recording this cover, you know... experimental Green Day stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOHofU8CQYs&ab_channel=The45Prof

Green Day's version appears to be inspired by the Rolling Stones' version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEoowY9hXuM

But yeah, I was shocked that the band didn't have a high-quality version. They must have lost the master copy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

True. From producing themselves with Andy Ernst on an indie label, Lookout, with a limited budget; to a major label, Reprise, collaborating with Rob Cavallo for the first time, in a different studio.

Still love that original raw sound from Kerplunk, and just about prefer the first version of "Welcome to Paradise". Sold 10,000 on first day of release. And currently has sold over 4m. Is that a record sales for an indie label?

Christie Road was everything I wanted it to be. Finally a good Christie Road version I can listen for the rest of my life that isn't live version from Awesome as Fuck.

• Like 3

So we've had 13 songs released in advance of 30th to drool over, 4 track & outtakes.  Thanks GD.

They are all amazing recordings. But if I had to choose a few favs, for me,

Basket Case would have to be first. (I'm in raptures with Billie Joe's guitar playing, amazing). Followed by 409 In Your Coffeemaker, Christie Road, When I Come Around.

I'm sure yours will differ, which is cool.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Not only equipment but guitar tuning as well, Dookie was actually the first album where Mike and Billie used a tuner on their guitars so Billie may have changed his vocal pitch to match the tuning better. I guess before Dookie Mike and Billie just tuned to each other without using a tuner lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, pcj said:

True. From producing themselves with Andy Ernst on an indie label, Lookout, with a limited budget; to a major label, Reprise, collaborating with Rob Cavallo for the first time, in a different studio.

Still love that original raw sound from Kerplunk, and just about prefer the first version of "Welcome to Paradise". Sold 10,000 on first day of release. And currently has sold over 4m. Is that a record sales for an indie label?

I think Offspring hold the record but of course their label was much larger than Lookout and could meet the demand quicker. 

The Offspring rocked though so it’s totally deserved.

• Love 1