Dookie 30th Anniversary

Liam

52 minutes ago, That Dude said:

We never heard much about that one at all.   They said they recorded a bunch of dirty polka Christmas songs and then....that was it. 

The Green Day vault is crazy.  Songs for A holes, Dirty Polka Christmas, Cigarettes and Valentines, Coffee and Repent (it's real in my mind)....

Green Day probably have more than 14 albums of completed songs on ready at any given moment.

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (Green Day Polka Version). It would be a hit.

• Like 2

Last bit of info:

There is some substance in Roshambo and Supermodel Robots potentially being for C&V.

I think it’s fair to say that Governator is a true AI B-Side due to the timing and it’s possible Shoplifter is too (although the Jimmy part could have been a reworked lyric).

There’s also a theory that Wake Me Up When September Ends was actually for C&V as it’s always been the one song that they admit strays from the storyline and of course we know the concept dates back before AI.

So I think John’s list is mostly C&V but theres elements of it that are untrue - for example Letterbomb was on there but cannot be listed on that tracklist as it was already selected for AI. And if Roshambo and Supermodel Robots were intended for it then theyre not submitting it as they used it elsewhere.

• Like 2

there's just no way they would throw in a full-on long lost album as bonus material included with an anniversary release, right? especially not in a year where a real new album is coming out. the most we could hope for are outtakes and demos from the sessions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billy1986 said:

Why did Mike and Billie fight? And over what? Source?

Where was this mentioned?

All I know is that there were tensions in the band heading into C&V and AI. Billie was somewhat the target of the frustrations. 

Ironically that happened again during the trilogy with his issues and I know Mike went at it with Billie then. 

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

56 minutes ago, billy1986 said:

Why did Mike and Billie fight? And over what? Source?

I dont know if I read it in an article or book from „Ben Myers“. I tried to find an article but only found about the „wrestling fight“ between Mike and Billie Joe after the iHeart Show

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

Just now, Radiation Fear said:

there's just no way they would throw in a full-on long lost album as bonus material included with an anniversary release, right? especially not in a year where a real new album is coming out. the most we could hope for are outtakes and demos from the sessions.

Probably not but why shouldn’t they? The fact the story is tied to AI will warrant a ton of streams and publicity. Great way to stir it up and ramp up before an album.

There’s literally no reason right now to keep this vaulted especially after their last string of albums. They gained the band little to no traction. The biggest thing for the band in the past decade has been the rock n roll hall of fame induction.

2 minutes ago, Insomniac90 said:

I dont know if I read it in an article or book from „Ben Myers“. I tried to find an article but only found about the „wrestling fight“ between Mike and Billie Joe after the iHeart Show

Considering Billie’s legs were like linguine I think it’s safe to say Mike came out on top.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sheenius said:

I saw your interview with Mike a while back. Thanks for that awesome interview!

Very rare you see someone know the band in that detail and pull out that kind of info from them.

I knew there were some Christmas songs floating around. Did they intend to actually release an album for those?

Songs for Assholes was actually stolen from Otis

Ironically at that time I was listening to The Network and Green Day not knowing The Network was Green Day.

Roshambo was in an NHL game and it wasnt till I started becoming more of a mega fan did I realize hey hold on… I know that voice! 

It's a running joke, and I get it. Mongo, Van and Snoo kind of, sort of in a way look like Green Day. They even put on fake tattoos to further the speculation and I think a time or two, Green day wore the outfits.    

3 hours ago, Insomniac90 said:

That wasn't a fight, it was more trying to burn off energy, keep Billie awake, and it was before the show.

Edit- Found it in Rolling Stone (interview with Mike)-

What was it like for you that day in Vegas, even before the show?
It was very tense back there. They locked us in a room for about six hours. [Pause] I won’t say “locked.” But I didn’t want to hang out in the hallway with everybody’s entourage. I felt like a rat in a cage. It was a confined space with a lot of weird people around, people we didn’t know wandering in and out [of the dressing room].

When Billie showed up, it was, “You’re not right. What’s going on?” I kept an eye on things, and it just went progressively downhill. Me and Billie – we don’t play like 12-year-olds anymore. But at one point, I was like, “Let’s goof around.” Somehow, we ended up wrestling backstage. I thought, “If I can just get some of this out of him . . . ” But with the mood depressants and alcohol, it doesn’t end up in a jovial party.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sheenius said:

Considering Billie’s legs were like linguine I think it’s safe to say Mike came out on top.

Linguine kept in motion by nothing but pure rage

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alf said:

always the secret source... haha 

No way MM2020 was intended to be the so called C&V... and even since John Roecker shared a picture of the 'demos' he has, it became kinda obvious that Cigarettes and Valentines in fact existed and was recorded and it's not what became to be The Network

I think this may be correct. A couple years back there was a fan on here telling a story of how he got to meet the band backstage on the RevRad tour through some charity connection. He asked Billie if we might one day hear C&V and he said that we already have, that it’s MM2020. So that confirms this.

And those pre-AI tensions have been well documented by the band. Mike and Tre were being very critical of Billie’s songs to the the point where he was afraid to play them for them, they didn’t know how to treat each other with respect like adults and they had to grow up a little, work together more and make a conscious decision to continue with the band. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I think this may be correct. A couple years back there was a fan on here telling a story of how he got to meet the band backstage on the RevRad tour through some charity connection. He asked Billie if we might one day hear C&V and he said that we already have, that it’s MM2020. So that confirms this.

And those pre-AI tensions have been well documented by the band. Mike and Tre were being very critical of Billie’s songs to the the point where he was afraid to play them for them, they didn’t know how to treat each other with respect like adults and they had to grow up a little, work together more and make a conscious decision to continue with the band. 

just assumptions, anyone can come here and claim he met the band somewhere backstage and tell they said this or that. This proves nothing

• Like 1

So Green Day went through a major recording binge in 2003 or so.     Cigarettes and Valentines, Dirty Polka Christmas, American Idiot, and let's say they helped the guys in the Network get their career going.    

This makes me wonder what we don't know about.  It's possible Green Day have done this every year of their existence!    4 albums worth of stuff for 36 years, whoa!    Maybe that's their secret in being the best band ever. Like Billie Joe says, anything great is a series of mistakes.    Green Day have a land fill of mid-albums out there.  With Cyclops, coffee and A holes. 

Isn’t it pretty well known that Billie was known as the “band nazi” around the Warning/C&V era? I seem to recall reading something about a phone call between them where they asked if they wanted to keep being in Green Day or hang it up. Seems like AI was really the fresh start they needed at the time.

• Like 3

I think you are pretty exact there, there was clearly a need for them to reestablish their relationship as adults, not surprisingly, and successful ones.  I’m sure I’ve read they said something along the lines of it being their moment like Metallica having therapy, they didn’t need that but they did have to sit down and really open up to each other it appears.

• Like 3

On 8/24/2023 at 11:43 PM, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Can't believe they changed the lyrics of Basket Case!

And still no mention of "basketcase" in the lyrics, ridiculous! 

Basketcase if the song actually said the title.   Also, I just figured out what is happening with the whore and shrink.   The whore is telling Billie to stop whining to the shrink, because the shrink likes Billie and wants to hook up with him.    

Do you have the time to listen to me whine
About nothing and everything all at once?
I am one of those
Melodramatic fools
Neurotic to the bone
No doubt about it

Sometimes I give myself the creeps
Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me
It all keeps adding up
I think I'm cracking up
Am I a basketcase
Or am I wrong? 

I went to a shrink
To analyze my dreams
She says it's lack of sex that's bringing me down
I went to a whore
He said my life's a bore
So quit my whining 'cause it's bringing her down

Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me
It all keeps adding up
I think I'm cracking up
Am I a basketcase
a basketcase!!!
a total basketcase!!!!!

Grasping to basket
So I better hold the base

Sometimes my mind’s a basketcase
It all keeps adding up
I think I'm cracking up
I am a basketcase
a stoned basketcase

YEAH!

OR 

they could go the HERE COMES THE SHOCK route:  

Do you have the time to listen to me whine
About nothing and everything all at once?
I am one of those
Melodramatic fools
Neurotic to the bone
No doubt about it

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE! 

I went to a shrink
To analyze my dreams
She says it's lack of sex that's bringing me down
I went to a whore
He said my life's a bore
So quit my whining 'cause it's bringing her down

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE! 

Grasping to basket
So I better hold the base

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE! 

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE! 

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE! 

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE!

BASKETCASE! 

Happy for finally live versions of songs never released before (disapearing boy, Road to acceptance and only of you). Almost every live release in the past has the same songs and there many great songs played live never released (at the library, 80, one for the razorbacks, i was there, private ale)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Gonzalo17 said:

Happy for finally live versions of songs never released before (disapearing boy, Road to acceptance and only of you). Almost every live release in the past has the same songs and there many great songs played live never released (at the library, 80, one for the razorbacks, i was there, private ale)

Thank you for pointing that out!

semi-related: can anyone recommend me their favorite pre-dookie shows available to watch? I’m talking the full on classic performances up there with the likes of Milton Keynes and Irving Plaza, only it’s 39 smooth/kerplunk era grit! Thank you!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Radiation Fear said:

Thank you for pointing that out!

semi-related: can anyone recommend me their favorite pre-dookie shows available to watch? I’m talking the full on classic performances up there with the likes of Milton Keynes and Irving Plaza, only it’s 39 smooth/kerplunk era grit! Thank you!

So many (though obv not of the quality of those iconic shows) but I can start by recommending this one:

And also this one:

Ofc this is iconic:

And MacGregor’s! I can’t stop!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Were any of you waiting for Dookie to come out in 1994?  I was vaguely aware of them after It got popular, but I didn't buy Dookie until much later.  I jumped on board with Good Riddance.  Got Nimrod, then got Superhits, Shenanigans and Warning all around the same time...and then Idiot was the first album I waited for.  I remember asking for the day off and standing outside of Best Buy thinking there might be a massive crowd of Green Day fans waiting, haha.

• Like 1