Dookie 30th Anniversary

Liam

27 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Update: Im really close to finding the source. I did run into something that says the same story on reddit and the person posted a source. I just need time to watch that video.

yup, this was one of if not the first Idiot era interview, and the story of the stolen tapes wasn't created back then.

In this interview, Mike admits they just dropped the material to follow another path

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Update: Im really close to finding the source. I did run into something that says the same story on reddit and the person posted a source. I just need time to watch that video.

I'm doing fuck all right now, so I can listen lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sheenius said:

The masters being stolen was never a true story. I need to find the source where I heard the story to A) make sure I’m conveying it correctly and B) to share it here with you all

But essentially the story is that they did not want to prioritize C&V over AI as they believed AI was better work and of course the timing for it was critical. They wanted to release it during Bush’s administration.

This is great fan fiction. On 2004 would've been his last year before anyone knew he'd be reelected so that makes no sense if they wanted out at that time. Youre basically saying they wanted to capitalize on his presidency and the war come on. billie and Mike have told us the truth a bunch of times that they just didn't feel like the songs were that great and then he wrote American idiot and thats what changed the trajectory of the new album and if they were gonna release it after American idiot then why didn't they? Why do they some day the recordings they have on back up cds "might come out in a Beatles athology type thing" . They scrapped  a run of the mill pop punk cookie cutter green day album because they had a new ambition to make something great and new

• Like 2

Wow, I had completely forgotten this interview.  Mike says there were about 65 songs, some of which should never be heard.  Quite funny to hear the interviewer who obviously has no idea what AI will become. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Alf said:

In this interview, Mike admits they just dropped the material to follow another path

Two possibilities

1- He didn't wanted to say the tapes were stolen.
2- They really did dropped the material to follow another path.

I've never trusted the stolen tapes theory so I'm gonna with the latter.

• Like 2

So why did Green Day blame The Network for stealing the album??? Or did they just hint at it?  

Is it possible Green Day gave some songs to The Network in a gesture of goodwill behind the scenes and the feuding is fake?  I believe the two bands are at least on neutral terms with each other. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, That Dude said:

So why did Green Day blame The Network for stealing the album??? Or did they just hint at it?  

Is it possible Green Day gave some songs to The Network in a gesture of goodwill behind the scenes and the feuding is fake?  I believe the two bands are at least on neutral terms with each other. 

I'm sure that "Roshambo" and "hammer of the gods" are Green Day songs... Too good for be written by those thieves

I don't Belive that a studio has only one master copy of a record

• Like 2

3 hours ago, trambopoline said:

- "we had the songs and we turned in the record in [sic], and me and Billie got together and we started talking with Tre and we said those are really good songs, but we've got these over here, and we kinda feel like - should we put out these and then wait three or four years to put out these other songs and chase this other thing that we see going on over here? So that was kinda it, we decided to chase those".

Well dang, I stand corrected 

I'm dissapointed that there's no Ernie puppet included in this anniversary of Dookie. Fingers crossed for 40th Anniversary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

C&V master tapes stolen is bs.
The followup to Warning was Money Money 2020 but Billie was afraid people wouldn't like it so the decided to release it as a side project and write a new GD record.

There.

• Love 1
  • Surprised 1

8 hours ago, nopride84 said:

This is great fan fiction. On 2004 would've been his last year before anyone knew he'd be reelected so that makes no sense if they wanted out at that time. Youre basically saying they wanted to capitalize on his presidency and the war come on. billie and Mike have told us the truth a bunch of times that they just didn't feel like the songs were that great and then he wrote American idiot and thats what changed the trajectory of the new album and if they were gonna release it after American idiot then why didn't they? Why do they some day the recordings they have on back up cds "might come out in a Beatles athology type thing" . They scrapped  a run of the mill pop punk cookie cutter green day album because they had a new ambition to make something great and new

I mean it’s fairly hard to release an album you’re currently writing. There was relevant themes of that time/era they wanted to capitalize on. The whole point is do you release that type of album at the present time in 04 or do you wait 4 years to release it? I think part of the prioritization of AI was the relevancy of those themes and wasn’t AI out just before the election? I’m pretty sure that was strategic.

I remember AOL sessions they were asked Bush or Kerry? They all answered Kerry at the same time lol. Was that not 2 months prior to the election? I can hardly find a more relevant time for the subject matter, regardless of the results of the election.

There were other sources though and hopefully I can find time to link them.

4 hours ago, Reverend Strychnine Twitch said:

He says, the band recorded about 16 songs and then scrapped it as the few new songs that were recorded after those were more exciting.

The list of songs that John Roecker had posted as outtakes from that era has exactly 16 songs. It once again makes me think that it probably is the pool of songs that were generaly decided for C&V (with a few more additions) but scrapped later. 

Here Mike also mentions that there were around 65 songs in total recorded during that time. If lets say 16 of them were for C&V and 14 of them were for The Network, and 13 of them are for AI, then there are remaining 20-22 songs that maybe one day we will hear in their original demo form.(although some of them were developed and made their way into the following albums in a different form)

Interesting information...

John’s list was one of my other sources. They turned those into Reprise as part of that record in their deal.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, M1KEY said:

C&V master tapes stolen is bs.
The followup to Warning was Money Money 2020 but Billie was afraid people wouldn't like it so the decided to release it as a side project and write a new GD record.

There.

Source?

• Like 1

To add in as well on the C&V talk and just about demos and vaulting in general I was able to find out from the Warning EPK that:

Waste Away Sleepyhead and Clusterbomb were actually for Warning. 

So of the 65 songs was Mike including those 3? Was he also including the Stones cover?

There’s really a lot from this era - also those Greenday.com messages like Minnesota Girl and Things I Heard Today were those possibly recorded or demoed?

We also have Olivia and Dreamcatcher from which I assume were 21cb outtakes? 

This vault is massive and I have a feeling we do hear C&V and most likely soon. Green Day was in talks with the label around FOAMF and that usually is about back catalog rights and stuff.

Their new music has had very little traction and with streaming platforms and with the analytics they now have on those platforms it’s clear there’s opportunity for the band to release the unheard vaulted stuff and while doing that theyre moving the old records to the top of their spotify list.

55 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Source?

For the first statement that interview I posted confirms that they made a choice to pursue the newer project over C&V

The other part not sure. I dont think it is unlikely that Roshambo or Supermodel Robots were from the C&V sessions. For the first song I find it curious that the valentines line is used and the same year the album was to drop.

as for the latter it matches the style of some of the other songs. C&V was the first time GD was going to dabble with that FBHT and Dos like songs. They were fans of that movement in the early 2000s. Mike event gave kudos to The Strokes in that interview I shared.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Source?

First part - speculation and from things I’ve read. 
Second part - convo with a source close to the band but I won’t be naming them. 

Don't forget Horseshoes and Handgrenades was also written around 03. It would be cool to get a demo of how that originally sounded back then. It would be missing the G-L-O-R-I-A part at the end, or that part would just be different

11 hours ago, M1KEY said:

There.

I wouldn't see them releasing MM2020 as a Green Day album. Not because Billie would've been scared to release it under the Green Day name but because it's so unrecognizable as Green Day that it just makes a lot more sense to release under a side project. Like some of the songs could've been GD songs of course but basically any of the songs Mike sings just don't sound anything like Green Day, even if Billie were singing them. As different as American Idiot or any of the later albums would've sounded compared to what they did pre-AI, they still would've been recognizable as Green Day even if released back in 2003

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Don't forget Horseshoes and Handgrenades was also written around 03. It would be cool to get a demo of how that originally sounded back then. It would be missing the G-L-O-R-I-A part at the end, or that part would just be different

I wouldn't see them releasing MM2020 as a Green Day album. Not because Billie would've been scared to release it under the Green Day name but because it's so unrecognizable as Green Day that it just makes a lot more sense to release under a side project. Like some of the songs could've been GD songs of course but basically any of the songs Mike sings just don't sound anything like Green Day, even if Billie were singing them. As different as American Idiot or any of the later albums would've sounded compared to what they did pre-AI, they still would've been recognizable as Green Day even if released back in 2003

Same. You hear a few typical Green Day sounds but overall not really Green Day-ish. Imagine back then they would have release it as Green Day with that new wave sound 😂

I thought it was sort of a group therapy for them. They had a bad time as a band. Was it the time during or before recordings Mike and Billie had a fight? I read something about it but I dont know when that happened.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, M1KEY said:

Wow I would have never became a fan of Green Day if it wasn't for American Idiot. Imagine having MM2020 instead of AI in 2004... Oooof

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sheenius said:

To add in as well on the C&V talk and just about demos and vaulting in general I was able to find out from the Warning EPK that:

Waste Away Sleepyhead and Clusterbomb were actually for Warning. 

So of the 65 songs was Mike including those 3? Was he also including the Stones cover?

There’s really a lot from this era - also those Greenday.com messages like Minnesota Girl and Things I Heard Today were those possibly recorded or demoed?

We also have Olivia and Dreamcatcher from which I assume were 21cb outtakes? 

This vault is massive and I have a feeling we do hear C&V and most likely soon. Green Day was in talks with the label around FOAMF and that usually is about back catalog rights and stuff.

Their new music has had very little traction and with streaming platforms and with the analytics they now have on those platforms it’s clear there’s opportunity for the band to release the unheard vaulted stuff and while doing that theyre moving the old records to the top of their spotify list.

For the first statement that interview I posted confirms that they made a choice to pursue the newer project over C&V

The other part not sure. I dont think it is unlikely that Roshambo or Supermodel Robots were from the C&V sessions. For the first song I find it curious that the valentines line is used and the same year the album was to drop.

as for the latter it matches the style of some of the other songs. C&V was the first time GD was going to dabble with that FBHT and Dos like songs. They were fans of that movement in the early 2000s. Mike event gave kudos to The Strokes in that interview I shared.

Those songs probably include the Christmas album too 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, M1KEY said:

First part - speculation and from things I’ve read. 
Second part - convo with a source close to the band but I won’t be naming them. 

always the secret source... haha 

No way MM2020 was intended to be the so called C&V... and even since John Roecker shared a picture of the 'demos' he has, it became kinda obvious that Cigarettes and Valentines in fact existed and was recorded and it's not what became to be The Network

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Jon Benjamin said:

We never heard much about that one at all.   They said they recorded a bunch of dirty polka Christmas songs and then....that was it. 

The Green Day vault is crazy.  Songs for A holes, Dirty Polka Christmas, Cigarettes and Valentines, Coffee and Repent (it's real in my mind)....

Green Day probably have more than 14 albums of completed songs on ready at any given moment.

14 hours ago, DJ Rosstar said:

Mike references the vault in my 2011 interview https://youtu.be/8IJ7P8bxtWk💚

I saw your interview with Mike a while back. Thanks for that awesome interview!

Very rare you see someone know the band in that detail and pull out that kind of info from them.

1 hour ago, Jon Benjamin said:

I knew there were some Christmas songs floating around. Did they intend to actually release an album for those?

40 minutes ago, That Dude said:

We never heard much about that one at all.   They said they recorded a bunch of dirty polka Christmas songs and then....that was it. 

The Green Day vault is crazy.  Songs for A holes, Dirty Polka Christmas, Cigarettes and Valentines, Coffee and Repent (it's real in my mind)....

Green Day probably have more than 14 albums of completed songs on ready at any given moment.

Songs for Assholes was actually stolen from Otis

1 hour ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Wow I would have never became a fan of Green Day if it wasn't for American Idiot. Imagine having MM2020 instead of AI in 2004... Oooof

Ironically at that time I was listening to The Network and Green Day not knowing The Network was Green Day.

Roshambo was in an NHL game and it wasnt till I started becoming more of a mega fan did I realize hey hold on… I know that voice! 

• Like 3