Dookie 30th Anniversary

Liam

1 hour ago, Jon Benjamin said:

And things like Black Eyeliner show that things being reworked from them don’t rule out them being released 🙌🏻

Exactly my thoughts. To get C&V untouched would be the biggest gift they could give us

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Alf said:

I don't thik he ever sung 'better not come around', this is just a bootleg title for the song when no one knew the real name of it

Like "what are my líes" and "Road to nowhere (jaded)" 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, trambopoline said:

That said, I would've eaten up a demos / outtakes disc for the insomniac reissue. Is there any specific stuff we know of that would've gone on that hypothetical disc?

Been thinking about this... here's all the outtakes I can think of from the Insomniac sessions:

1. I Wanna Be On TV

2. Don't Wanna Fall In Love

3. Do Da Da

4. Good Riddance demo

5. JAR(?)

am I missing anything? Maybe there just weren't enough interesting scraps lying around for insomniac's reissue to be more than what it was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trambopoline said:

Been thinking about this... here's all the outtakes I can think of from the Insomniac sessions:

1. I Wanna Be On TV

3. Do Da Da

4. Good Riddance demo

5. JAR(?)

am I missing anything? Maybe there just weren't enough interesting scraps lying around for insomniac's reissue to be more than what it was.

"You líed" and "rotting". J.A.R. Angus versión is also from insomniac sessions

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trambopoline said:

1. I Wanna Be On TV

3. Do Da Da

4. Good Riddance demo

5. JAR(?)

But a possible reason could be the short break. They had a stressful tour for Dookie and maybe not much time and just recorded their finished songs. I mean I could be wrong but I think there isn‘t much to release for Insomniac. When you think of the early performance of Armatage Shanks, Geek stink Breath and Stuart and the ave. the writings seemed almost finished. Maybe the Demos sounded like the official recordings just in bad quality cause they wanted to finish the record as fast as they can but thats just speculation. For sure I want to have more songs from that era cause I love Insomniac but just Demos? I prefer live recordings/a full show from that era

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gonzalo17 said:

"You líed" and "rotting". J.A.R. Angus versión is also from insomniac sessions

Yup, these two along with the other ones listed are all of the outtakes from Insomniac. There was an interview a few years ago with Kevin Army, the engineer for that album, and he said everything from that session was released 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2023 at 1:50 AM, Radiation Fear said:

How does everyone like the dookie demos release compared to the Nimrod demos?
and why aren’t there any insomniac demos available?

I think they’re really good together

5 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

We may never get an actual release called C&V considering what’s been said about it, it sounds like they were just recording sessions of a bunch of songs and they were not yet at the stage of finalizing an album or a tracklist when they changed direction. Do we even know if C&V was the official name of a finished album or just what we call the sessions? I don’t go by the whole “stolen masters” bullshit story.  

Judging by the deluxe editions we’ve now seen, I think an AI reissue would contain a bonus disc of mixed demos and outtakes not particularly attributed to “C&V” though the songs could have come from those sessions.  And we won’t get everything, just the few things they think are the most interesting and that haven’t been released already in some other release or form.

Tell that to Green Day. They seem to be steeped in nostalgia these days rather than focusing on the new release they’ve been silent about for a year.

No I’m pretty sure C&V was the album and was ready to ship. 

from the best of my knowledge the story is that during the finishing phase of C&V they wrote American Idiot, parts of Homecoming and a few of the progressions of the other songs. So from there the goal was to release C&V and then come out with AI near the end of Bush’s term. 

Then apparently they said fuck it let’s pivot because if they’re late to releasing AI they could miss a huge opportunity. So they decided AI first then C&V potentially after. Of course AI blew up and gave GD a whole new trajectory to follow.

I apologize as I can’t recall the source of this information but I do remember this being the story or the closest thing to it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

I think they’re really good together

No I’m pretty sure C&V was the album and was ready to ship. 

from the best of my knowledge the story is that during the finishing phase of C&V they wrote American Idiot, parts of Homecoming and a few of the progressions of the other songs. So from there the goal was to release C&V and then come out with AI near the end of Bush’s term. 

Then apparently they said fuck it let’s pivot because if they’re late to releasing AI they could miss a huge opportunity. So they decided AI first then C&V potentially after. Of course AI blew up and gave GD a whole new trajectory to follow.

I apologize as I can’t recall the source of this information but I do remember this being the story or the closest thing to it.

That’s the first I’ve heard of that, because AFAIK they’ve only ever told the official story of “recorded all the songs for an eventual album, masters got stolen, started over and wrote AI instead”. Never heard it said they planned to release two albums

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

That’s the first I’ve heard of that, because AFAIK they’ve only ever told the official story of “recorded all the songs for an eventual album, masters got stolen, started over and wrote AI instead”. Never heard it said they planned to release two albums

From what I remember Cigarettes and Valentines was definitely the name of the album, I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in a few magazines at the time, and it was really close to being done, but I don't think it ever got as close to going into production as Sheenius stated. I do think the stolen masters thing was made up, I think they just went on to chase down American Idiot, I never heard anything about them potentially releasing C&V after AI, I mean, how could they after claiming the masters were stolen?

So after the burnt rubber scented “Trans Am” candle, who thinks the Dookie air freshener will literally smell like shit? 💩

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Maddie86 said:

Yup, these two along with the other ones listed are all of the outtakes from Insomniac. There was an interview a few years ago with Kevin Army, the engineer for that album, and he said everything from that session was released 

I guess that answers why we weren't given more bits and pieces with insomniac. Aside from the Prague show in full, there must not've been much interesting for that era in the vaults.

1 hour ago, Maddie86 said:

I do think the stolen masters thing was made up, I think they just went on to chase down American Idiot, I never heard anything about them potentially releasing C&V after AI, I mean, how could they after claiming the masters were stolen?

The stolen masters thing was absolutely made up. But they could still release them after they were ""stolen"" by saying the tapes were ""recovered"" at some point. They could even make up some fun story about finding them at a garage sale or in the back of someone's closet for the sake of continuing the lore lol

10 minutes ago, M1KEY said:

So after the burnt rubber scented “Trans Am” candle, who thinks the Dookie air freshener will literally smell like shit? 💩

Did that candle actually smell like burnt rubber? I never bought it, on the off chance that it really did haha.

Would American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown be the sessions with the most unheard stuff? I imagine there were a lot more unreleased songs and demos from those eras. And also the fact that the B-sides weren't released on an album like all the 90's B-sides that were released on Shenanigans means that those songs (Favorite Son, Lights Out, Hearts Collide) will likely appear on those American Idiot/21CB anniversary albums

The trilogy probably has a lot of unheard songs too but they probably wouldn't be very good since they weren't good enough to be placed on a 37 song project. And we've heard a bunch of demos for the trilogy too so I would guess that AI/21CB would be the anniversary albums with the most unheard/unreleased material

3 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Would American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown be the sessions with the most unheard stuff? I imagine there were a lot more unreleased songs and demos from those eras. And also the fact that the B-sides weren't released on an album like all the 90's B-sides that were released on Shenanigans means that those songs (Favorite Son, Lights Out, Hearts Collide) will likely appear on those American Idiot/21CB anniversary albums

The trilogy probably has a lot of unheard songs too but they probably wouldn't be very good since they weren't good enough to be placed on a 37 song project. And we've heard a bunch of demos for the trilogy too so I would guess that AI/21CB would be the anniversary albums with the most unheard/unreleased material

Don't forget the possibility of getting the "lost" Cigarettes and Valentines album in the American Idiot box set!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Don't forget the possibility of getting the "lost" Cigarettes and Valentines album in the American Idiot box set!!!!!!!!!!

Remember how The Network mocked Kill the DJ with that Pool Party song?   I bet Green Day have some songs mocking Network songs recorded during that time!  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Maddie86 said:

From what I remember Cigarettes and Valentines was definitely the name of the album, I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in a few magazines at the time, and it was really close to being done, but I don't think it ever got as close to going into production as Sheenius stated. I do think the stolen masters thing was made up, I think they just went on to chase down American Idiot, I never heard anything about them potentially releasing C&V after AI, I mean, how could they after claiming the masters were stolen?

The masters being stolen was never a true story. I need to find the source where I heard the story to A) make sure I’m conveying it correctly and B) to share it here with you all

But essentially the story is that they did not want to prioritize C&V over AI as they believed AI was better work and of course the timing for it was critical. They wanted to release it during Bush’s administration.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think theres probably a lot of solid unheard stuff between post warning - 21cb

• Like 3

4 hours ago, That Dude said:

Remember how The Network mocked Kill the DJ with that Pool Party song?   I bet Green Day have some songs mocking Network songs recorded during that time!  

Yeah that Fink guy and his masked gang stole many ideas from GD. So sorry for them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Update: Im really close to finding the source. I did run into something that says the same story on reddit and the person posted a source. I just need time to watch that video.

• Like 1