Dookie 30th Anniversary

Liam

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

That was actually from the Insomniac era

''Billie Joe Armstrong wrote this song in 1993 and submitted it for the band's first major-label album, Dookie, which was released in 1994. Both the band and their label felt it was a great song but didn't fit on the album, which was loaded with punk blasters. The song was held back and didn't make their next album, Insomniac (1995) either. (first appeared on the Brain Stew single instead) It was finally included on the Nimrod album in 1997.

• Like 2

i love the oversized t-shirt and the eagle thermal longsleeve but the longsleeve is ridiculously expensive (£75) 😰

oversized t-shirt it is 🥰

• Like 2

Dookie Dog Bowl is pretty badass, too.

When Its Time piano gives me chills.

Burnout demo might be my favorite.

Is Dookie their best album?!?!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Reverend Strychnine Twitch said:

''Billie Joe Armstrong wrote this song in 1993 and submitted it for the band's first major-label album, Dookie, which was released in 1994. Both the band and their label felt it was a great song but didn't fit on the album, which was loaded with punk blasters. The song was held back and didn't make their next album, Insomniac (1995) either. (first appeared on the Brain Stew single instead) It was finally included on the Nimrod album in 1997.

I could swear I remember Billie saying in an interview that he wrote it "around the time Dookie came out", I feel like that implies that it wasn't written in time for Dookie but idk, it's gotta be pretty close because it was about Amanda and she broke up with him right after he signed the major label contract 

• Like 1

Was thinking maybe we will get a Dookie/Idiot tour where they play those front-to-back and then realized that would just be like any other tour they do. Zing! 😂 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, lucky_stars said:

the basket case demo has me absolutely shook

Right?! Entirely different subject matter and lyrics. I do get some hints at paranoia with thinking about the couple in the song. I wonder how it evolved from being about a couple to Billie Joe's anxiety.

The alternate Basket Case demo is exactly what I love for anniversary additions! Songs locked in "the vault" that we finally get to hear. I really have no interest in live stuff because I've seen them live numerous times, and we can find TONS of live stuff on YouTube. I also already own the Woodstock record and have seen/heard that set so many times over the last thirty years. So, demos and alternate versions are what make sets like this fascinating!

I think the vinyl box set is quite expensive, though it is coming with a lot of stuff. I hope the book is filled with interesting content. I see that we're getting an essay from Rob — which is awesome — but I hope we also get retrospectives from the guys and all parties involved. Throw in some retro news articles and press pieces. (I found the Nimrod book a little lackluster).

Finally, I wish that the vinyl version came with a digital download code!

I have purchased a lot of box sets over the years and think that the most interesting ones have been: the Beatles sets, especially the White Album and Revolver, Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie..., and The Beach Boys SMiLE Sessions. That latter set is the coolest of all the sets I've seen. It came with two records, two 45s, five CDs, two books, and a poster, all housed in a diorama package. And when it first came out in 2012, it only cost 149.96!

• Like 1

08c7f417a1a1e79969e7a20ef2bdef99a66359e9

61ee37be88a0fd8b119ad6cf2062a203aff86fca

c687d5d4346633ef715c1c13c28d02f1f3ce7d5a

Just in case anyone missed the previous post about 15% off at 1234Go until Friday 

e2ff44c587cbbd143e455f8ac8bec95a57f85fd1

65326639dda16c2b62bbca7f83881a2daa04e3e5

• Like 2

Damn, Basket Case had such a glow up! Crazy that the bridge is the only similar part. And considering that the first few lines of Basket Case as we know it is one of the most iconic intros in music history, it's wild to hear it as anything else

• Like 3

Only just checked the UK Store and they're asking £208 for the vinyl!! I know it's six vinyls but who has that money just laying around? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

@disappearing_boy_39 You have that Smile box set? Ugh, I hate you. That’s one of my white whales. 

Haha, it is a great set. Some moderately priced ones occasionally pop-up on eBay. Don't stop chasing that whale, haha!

To add to my earlier post, if the original Dookie album isn't being remixed or remastered, why include it? Is that just what you do? Everyone willing to buy this set has already heard this album — likely, dozens of times! 

• Like 1

Stoked for this release, solely for the demos. I'm unsure what exactly was circulating prior to the announcement but it's always nice to hear the tracks prior to their finalized formation.

Not the biggest fan of the live stuff personally, but the booklet (documenting the album and lyrics) alongside the demos, will surely be a treat! 

• Like 1

I love the Basketcase demo something very romantic yet melancholy at the same time…a friend getting high and finding love them going out on their own ad Billie watches from afar very much a story of observation I love it 

• Like 3

Excited by that post from Bob Mehr re new liner notes and interviews! Thanks @Rumpelstiltskin2000for that!

Not up on Amazon in Uk yet, not on offer on 1234Go! Do I crumple and order on GD website, knowing It’ll be late but at least I’ll get it!?  C’mon Amazon, get a grip.

• Like 2

Looks like they (almost) fixed the issue on Apple Music. You can now find and save the new album. Just In The End of the original songs is still greyed-out.

1 hour ago, jengd said:

Excited by that post from Bob Mehr re new liner notes and interviews! Thanks @Rumpelstiltskin2000for that!

Not up on Amazon in Uk yet, not on offer on 1234Go! Do I crumple and order on GD website, knowing It’ll be late but at least I’ll get it!?  C’mon Amazon, get a grip.

It's available on eBay UK for £46.77 for CD version. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374884239624?hash=item5748d78908:g:zYMAAOSwgI5k3IAx

• Like 1

I saw that listing yesterday but also saw it says it’ll be delivered late August which made me doubt the seller.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jengd said:

I saw that listing yesterday but also saw it says it’ll be delivered late August which made me doubt the seller.

eBay have confirmed that their system cannot process pre-order. So they have taken money stating delivery 21st August, with correction note stating revised delivery date of 29th September. 

You should be ok to order. Mine comes with money back guarantee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, disappearing_boy_39 said:

Haha, it is a great set. Some moderately priced ones occasionally pop-up on eBay. Don't stop chasing that whale, haha!

To add to my earlier post, if the original Dookie album isn't being remixed or remastered, why include it? Is that just what you do? Everyone willing to buy this set has already heard this album — likely, dozens of times! 

Becuse allí by myself is now a track 🤣

• Haha 2