Green Day records new theme song for Bill Maher’s Real Time

Jon Benjamin

1 hour ago, petros said:

Green Day are the band that on their first major tour refused to play shows if they couldn't have an openly gay band Pansy Division open for them. And that was back in 1994. And now they are doing a song for that transphobic piece of shit 🙄 And people here which are fans of the band do not acknowledge what's wrong with that. If you'd like this place to be a Green Day dick riding fest just openly say it or create a rule about it.

At the end of the day I do not want to accept that Green Day changed their views on those manners but I believe as they get older they don't really care anymore. That's not an excuse but with the music they've given us lately, the boomer cringe promotion of "no swedish song writers" etc you can see they don't consider themselves or the message they once used to represent that important.

You’ve said this more eloquently than I could. Yeah. I don’t want to believe they’ve changed their views, unless they make it clear, but they just don’t seem to care anymore.

• Like 3

On 1/28/2023 at 7:34 AM, petros said:

Green Day are the band that on their first major tour refused to play shows if they couldn't have an openly gay band Pansy Division open for them. And that was back in 1994. And now they are doing a song for that transphobic piece of shit 🙄 And people here which are fans of the band do not acknowledge what's wrong with that. If you'd like this place to be a Green Day dick riding fest just openly say it or create a rule about it.

At the end of the day I do not want to accept that Green Day changed their views on those manners but I believe as they get older they don't really care anymore. That's not an excuse but with the music they've given us lately, the boomer cringe promotion of "no swedish song writers" etc you can see they don't consider themselves or the message they once used to represent that important.

I don't feel like anybody has suggested you can't be upset about that? At least not when it comes to the rules. :confused:

11 hours ago, petros said:

I didn't know you have to be an activist to not support hateful comments against an already marginalized group of people. It's called being a decent human being.

Of course it’s about feeling like you’re a decent human being. That’s why anyone says anything every chance they get because they want to feel good. I just don’t see what gain it makes bitching about it on a Green Day forum like it’s gonna change something.  It really wouldn’t be so bad but consistently these threads turn into an activism march. I mean honestly there’s maybe like 5 or 6 people on this forum who disagree with you so whose mind are we trying to change? Most of them won’t say anything because there really is no point because it’s just in one ear and out the other if someone else has a different opinion. 

55 minutes ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

I doubt that Billie doesn’t care anymore. For one, the thing with Morrissey happened before the start of the Pandemic, in which he wasn’t aware of his views.

Afterwards, he was pretty damn vocal about the need for Police Reform after George Floyd was murdered, also making a cover of John Lennon’s “Gimmie Some Truth” in the midst of it all.

He was also very loud about wanting people to vote in the 2020 election, and about his distaste for what happened to Roe V Wade.

Now, the band should still be held accountable for making a song to Bill Maher, but accountability is not the same as hatred. It’s demanding better from the artists we love. This feels akin to Tom Morello being friends with Ted Nugent rather than him not caring.

Ted Nugent is way worse than Bill Maher 🤮

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Ted Nugent is way worse than Bill Maher 🤮

I drew the parallel because both are cases of progressive viewed rockers “playing nice” (for lack of a better term) with right wing nuts.

• Like 1