Green Day records new theme song for Bill Maher’s Real Time

Jon Benjamin

A return to the 2007 Denim Era where the band were scarfing it up with black and white polka dots and doing righteous covers.  

BOO CHA HEY

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sanity Loan said:

Leave it to people here to take something new that is fun and innocent and “cancel” it because of who it is for. Good god, lighten the f*** up.

Especially the fact we finally have some "new" material!!

29 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Especially the fact we finally have some "new" material!!

This is no more new than their cover of the Simpsons theme. It was a pre-existing tune.

2 hours ago, Sanity Loan said:

Leave it to people here to take something new that is fun and innocent and “cancel” it because of who it is for. Good god, lighten the f*** up.

NXAF.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Gwen Stacy said:

Or are we not allowed to dislike things anymore?

Well once things become affiliated with Green Day there is a tendency to like them on gdc. Sometimes it’s kinda unfortunate :P

5 hours ago, Sanity Loan said:

It's totally fine to be critical of something that absolutely sucks

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Harry said:

It's totally fine to be critical of something that absolutely sucks

As long as said criticism fits the pop culture narrative

• Confused 1

At least, from an audio perspective, this silly snippet somewhat fills the craving for new tunes as well as an approximation of what the band may sound like, production-wise, coming up ahead. 🤩 

then again, it may be another attempt to throw us off track from 1972 speculations! 🫣

• Like 1

I remember when Bill Maher was considered extremist left wing. Now he's alt right? Man do things change.

• Like 3
  • Surprised 1

4 hours ago, Cunt said:

As long as said criticism fits the pop culture narrative

OK, cool. If you think some old white dude who lets the N-word slip out of his mouth from time to time on live TV is a cool guy and not worthy of criticism, then that’s your choice. Weird hill to die on, though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

OK, cool. If you think some old white dude who lets the N-word slip out of his mouth from time to time on live TV is a cool guy and not worthy of criticism, then that’s your choice. Weird hill to die on, though.

Maybe you need to go read the lyrics to American Eulogy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Liam said:

Maybe you need to go read the lyrics to American Eulogy

You’re right - that really sucked as well, plus I’m pretty sure I read somewhere about BJ regretting his word choice in that song

Edited by Harry

1 minute ago, Harry said:

You’re right - that really sucked as well

At least you're consistent in your feelings. Credit where credit is due

Just now, Liam said:

At least you're consistent in your feelings. Credit where credit is due

I adore this band wholeheartedly, but Christ alive, they’ve made some bad choices in the past few years. Collaborating with Morrissey being one of them (which they also said they regret in hindsight).

I’ve got to ask, though - are people here only supportive of Bill Maher because he’s a prolific weed guy? Because other than that, as far as I can tell, he doesn’t really stand for anything that’s good. I’m just curious. Please tell me why you like him because I’ve genuinely wondered this for years now.

4 minutes ago, pcj said:

When your famous and in the public eye, a "bad choice" is jumped on and criticized. But Billie Joe publicly conveyed his regrets for this and for the lyrics in the song mentioned before. It shows he cares what he says, not wanted to cause offense, rather than just saying fuck you.

We are all human, we all make mistakes, we can't help it. Trying to put things right if we can, if it's possible, shows we care. It's all we can do.

When I look back on my life and see the shit I've done and the hurt I've caused and think, how did that happen, if only.......

So, what right have I to judge. Only love will put things right, hopefully.

This is genuinely one of the loveliest things I’ve read on this site. Thanks for writing it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When did Billie Joe talk about that lyric where he used the N word? I don't remember him ever talking about that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry said:

I adore this band wholeheartedly, but Christ alive, they’ve made some bad choices in the past few years. Collaborating with Morrissey being one of them (which they also said they regret in hindsight).

I’ve got to ask, though - are people here only supportive of Bill Maher because he’s a prolific weed guy? Because other than that, as far as I can tell, he doesn’t really stand for anything that’s good. I’m just curious. Please tell me why you like him because I’ve genuinely wondered this for years now.

Omg I forgot about the Morrissey thing 🤦‍♀️

Yeah this is quite a strange choice for the band. And you'd think they'd be a bit more cautious with who they work with after the Morrissey thing and having to explain themselves using the Gary Glitter sample. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, The Grohl said:

Omg I forgot about the Morrissey thing 🤦‍♀️

Yeah this is quite a strange choice for the band. And you'd think they'd be a bit more cautious with who they work with after the Morrissey thing and having to explain themselves using the Gary Glitter sample. 

Not to bring it all up again but all that stuff about Morrissey was in the British tabloid press. Americans knew nothing about it because he’s so irrelevant here. Like Billie, all I thought was that I loved The Smiths so I could see him wanting to work with him without even realizing he had to be vetted. Seems like everyone has to be vetted these days. The Gary Glitter thing was different since the dude was literally in prison it made news everywhere and was more widely known.

• Like 1