Green Day surprise show at the Metro Chicago 7/29

pacejunkie punk

10 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Any chance it's not American Idiot and just a recognizable Green Day logo?

I would say slim but never lose hope

Even if it isn’t full American Idiot it’s still sounds cool in a small venue. I’ll try for 2 as well

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Any chance it's not American Idiot and just a recognizable Green Day logo?

Exactly my thoughts. Just using an GD icon while still not fully revealing it to keep suspense. 

• Like 1

inb4 its the same lame hellamega setlist again :D

+ maybe one new song 👀

they probably just want to warm up again after 1 month break before headlining Lollapalooza

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

My guess is there's gonna be something special about this show, so if they don't intend to play all of AI, then they might play a new song or two. It won't be the greatest hits set they've been doing. This is an audience for deep cuts.

Yes, I think the same

• Like 1

I’ve been looking at my phone all day sneaking it at work but knowing my luck it’s gonna hit and be sold out the second I look away from my phone at work.

It's temptingly close, but unfortunately this weekend just isn't gonna work. Darn. :( 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Mato said:

That's weird. Why now and not for 20th year anniversary? 🤔

On the other hand, Homecoming, Extraordinary Girl, She's A Rebel and Whatshername haven't been played in 12 years so I can't fuckin wait to see videos of them playing those :woot:

Because probably they don't want to tour for it, as they didn't for Dookie. They didn't go in a large tour in 2014. Also, they could want to focus in the new record as they couldn't promote the last one properly.

Anyway, the chance is great to hear those less played songs and I love that. Bring it on

American Idiot songs that aren't ST. Jimmy and the hits?  

Like Billie Joe says around thanksgiving, it's all that I waaaanted. 

For the deep cuts, Are We the Waiting and Letterbomb have had the longest stage-life over the years, with hundreds of performances.     The real deep, juicy stuff lies in Give Me Novacaine, Homecoming, Whatshername, Extraordinary Girl and the the oh-so overlooked She's a Rebel.   I was going to say these were largely ignore because of the slower elements, but She's a Rebel is a face paced rocker, and it's gotten the least stage time.      This makes this song a perfect candidate to be added into regular rotation.   Now I know Green Day have a hard time changing their set, so they can keep playing St. Jimmy into oblivion.    Just add the short and sweet She's a rebel somewhere around the same part of the set and be bop a lulla baby, we've got a win.   

• Like 1

I'd absolutely be dropping my plans on that night and road tripping to Chicago if my plans on that night didn't involve Rage Against the Machine.

Disappointed that it had to be on the same night, but excited for anyone who gets to go and hopeful for more club shows in the future.

Edited by 2klightyrsaway
typo
  • Like 1

Holy shit! If they play all of AI I will throw a fucking fit! I've been wanting this so badly! I LOVE all those songs and have been so sad that we haven't seen them play them in over a decade. Whatsername, Homecoming, Extraordinary Girl, GMN, Letterbomb, She's A Rebel. I'm dying to hear these songs again.

If this is actually going to happen, I can't wait. However, I'm just going to assume it's not because GD has a history of teasing stuff like this and then letting us down.

If it DOES happen, I hope to god someone films it! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

It's always in the US. 

ALWAYS.

Not true. They last did a secret show in Spain

• Like 4

And there was the one in Italy where they took over Prima Donna's stage.

Edit- and of course the Foxies in London.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Not true. They last did a secret show in Spain

Never in Canada.

NEVER.

• Like 1

I hope this show means that they will bring back these songs on a regular tour as well. At least some of them. They so badly need to switch up their setlist.

• Like 1

They did Shepherd's Bush and Brixton in the UK too. There was one for Paris but it got cancelled 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slave To The Network said:

Holy shit! If they play all of AI I will throw a fucking fit! I've been wanting this so badly! I LOVE all those songs and have been so sad that we haven't seen them play them in over a decade. Whatsername, Homecoming, Extraordinary Girl, GMN, Letterbomb, She's A Rebel. I'm dying to hear these songs again.

If this is actually going to happen, I can't wait. However, I'm just going to assume it's not because GD has a history of teasing stuff like this and then letting us down.

If it DOES happen, I hope to god someone films it! 

I would kill to hear all of the above expecially Letterbomb and Extraordinary Girl!!!!

• Like 3

Someone on reddit pointed out they may not be selling tickets online but only at the door, giving out wristbands. That’s how they did it with Metallica there they said and it’s how it was done at the Whiskey A GoGo Hella Mega show. This makes it very hard for working people, you have to show up in person and you can’t buy a ticket for someone else.  It’s also makes it risky to travel without a ticket. How early would you have to line up to be guaranteed a wristband I wonder?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Someone on reddit pointed out they may not be selling tickets online but only at the door, giving out wristbands. That’s how they did it with Metallica there they said and it’s how it was done at the Whiskey A GoGo Hella Mega show. This makes it very hard for working people, you have to show up in person and you can’t buy a ticket for someone else.  It’s also makes it risky to travel without a ticket. How early would you have to line up to be guaranteed a wristband I wonder?

Also, keep an eye out for an email, or maybe they'll warn fans at the door, if they say cell phone video isn't allowed, you know they'll be playing new songs!!!!

• Like 2