1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

You don't record only an Ep at Abbey Road. So I still think that it is an album. I also haven't changed my mind that the album is planned to be released around September - most probably with an advance single release in summer to give the fans a taste of what's coming. One thing I'm really sure is this will be a great album. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Q-Man said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Rob and am thrilled that he is likely coming back. BUT Butch Vig's production on 21CB was another level. I'd kill for that again. 

Eh I kind of disagree on this. 21CB was the start of filtering BJ’s voice to hell, and I don’t think the wall of sound approach used on it suited them all that well (not saying I don’t enjoy the album, but it’s not one of my favorites, especially sonically).

Now take a look at Rob’s output with them, and the only questionably produced project is the trilogy. The rest is A+ work from all angles. I think Rob just “gets” the band and knows how to get the best sounding (and just best period) songs from them.

1 hour ago, billy1986 said:

Bring back Butch Vig

Hard pass 

2 hours ago, Gonzalo17 said:

I prefer to wait for a Rob Cavallo produced album than having yet a butch Walker one

I’d prefer no album at all than have Butch W stain their legacy again.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Thinking about the promotion that will eventually happen with this album is it too soon for them to be honest about FOAM? Usually by the next release they're ready to admit what went wrong with the previous one.  The interviews for FOAM felt so dishonest in the way they praised it I wonder if we'll get more this time about it or if they'll pretend it never happened. 

I think so, I doubt they’ll bash it to hell but I’m sure they’ll say it was a fun project that they were ready to move on from

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

Green Day don't have to apologize for albums you don't like.

Who are you talking to? If it was me, did I say I didn't like it? I was just pointing out that they have a tendency to do this. In the RevRad interviews, they talked about how the Trilogy albums were a lot for people to absorb.  During the Trilogy they said 21CB was a bit over the top and stressful.  During FOAM they said they didn't want to do long or feel good songs anymore (references to what they did for RevRad). So I was wondering if we'll finally get to hear their unfiltered thoughts about FOAM given the reception it got in general. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dudley dawson said:

21CB was the start of filtering BJ’s voice to hell, and I don’t think the wall of sound approach used on it suited them all that well

All subjective but I thought wall of sound was complimentary for 21CB since they were going for that 70’s-arena rock type of style. I like hearing Green Day sound big. 

What I didn’t like about that album’s production is a little more ineffable, everything (vocals and instruments) just sounds so computery crisp. I’d love to hear what that album would’ve sounded like with analog production.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clockwise said:

No musician has to, right?  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

All subjective but I thought wall of sound was complimentary for 21CB since they were going for that 70’s-arena rock type of style. I like hearing Green Day sound big. 

What I didn’t like about that album’s production is a little more ineffable, everything (vocals and instruments) just sounds so computery crisp. I’d love to hear what that album would’ve sounded like with analog production.

But the production is what got us all excited for MOOTIK but we all know how that turned out 😆

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Clockwise said:

Sure, they don’t have to, but they probably will considering it got a worse reception than the trilogy from the fanbase.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

Eh I kind of disagree on this. 21CB was the start of filtering BJ’s voice to hell, and I don’t think the wall of sound approach used on it suited them all that well (not saying I don’t enjoy the album, but it’s not one of my favorites, especially sonically).

Now take a look at Rob’s output with them, and the only questionably produced project is the trilogy. The rest is A+ work from all angles. I think Rob just “gets” the band and knows how to get the best sounding (and just best period) songs from them.

Hard pass 

I’d prefer no album at all than have Butch W stain their legacy again.

The filter has been used since before Nimrod 

hell listen to American Idiot acapellas filters galore 

and the use of the vocals and the wall of sound for 21st was intentional 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, steve46 said:

Green Day feat. Beatles - Abbey Road Pt. 2 coming 😂

What if Green Day pulled a Panicland and recorded as if they WERE the Beatles?   

And Paul gave it the blessing, allowing them to actually release it under the name because it's that good??????????????????