1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

2 hours ago, Insomniac1984 said:

Something from my country, a classic song. Viva Chile!! El Pueblo Unido, Jamás será vencido!!

Viva Chileeeee😍😍

Edited by StaryedHeart
I wrote in spanish whoops sorry hehe
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Red said:

Butch Vig on the other hand produced many of my other favourite albums from multiple artists and all of them have aged like fine wine... and then of course there was 21CB which I truly believe is hands down one of the most underappreciated albums of all time, while simultaneously also being one of the best.

I cannot express how much I agree with you! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, Doggins said:

Nah you're 100% right,  but apart from Warning and 21CBD Rob did all their albums before Butch Walker, he was pretty much a member of the band 

I like to think he had a fairly hands off approach to Trilogy, as it was co produced by the band,  he probably let them take a fair wack of the creative control...

I dunno

Edit: what do you mean by TBP? The play?

Not wanting to speak for anyone, but I think he meant MCR's "The Black Parade."

3 hours ago, bastard of young said:

This. I've loved the Rob-produced albums, but the trilogy just doesn't hold up to any of them. It sucks, cause it has some good songs. Even with the filler, it would've been great if the production wasn't as lame as it was. The worst part is X-Kid is probably my favorite GD song, and the fact that it hasn't gotten an Otis Mix or was on Demolicious blows. I'd love to hear a Big Guitar version.

I loved 21CB when it came out. It was a perfect blend of Bruce Springsteen and The Clash imo. Having that wall of sound production quality was great to listen to, and going back to whatever it was that they did with the Trilogy was a huge let-down. That's why I loved RR so much. Yeah it was "safe", but production wise? It blew the trilogy out of the water. Everything was louder and actually sounded finished, as opposed to before.  

Hopefully with this new album, we get some more loud guitar/bass/drum action again.

100%.

I am a massive sucker for X-Kid, Stay the Night, Rusty James and more.. I just wish those songs got as much love as what the albums of the past had, regardless of who produced them. I think this late in the band's career, it's very important to be far more careful with what they are putting out there and making sure it's as good as it can be first and foremost.

I don't care how long it takes, as long as it's another album I can look back fondly on and the only one I can look back fondly on since 21CB came out in 2009 is RevRad, side projects aside and that's simply not good enough for a band as talented, gifted and with as much calibre as Green Day.

From what I have heard of 1972 so far, its got the potential... but songs need more than just potential to truly stand the test of time.

8 hours ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

Not wanting to speak for anyone, but I think he meant MCR's "The Black Parade."

Thanks, I should have been more specific 😅

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bastard of young said:

This. I've loved the Rob-produced albums, but the trilogy just doesn't hold up to any of them. It sucks, cause it has some good songs. Even with the filler, it would've been great if the production wasn't as lame as it was. The worst part is X-Kid is probably my favorite GD song, and the fact that it hasn't gotten an Otis Mix or was on Demolicious blows. I'd love to hear a Big Guitar version.

I loved 21CB when it came out. It was a perfect blend of Bruce Springsteen and The Clash imo. Having that wall of sound production quality was great to listen to, and going back to whatever it was that they did with the Trilogy was a huge let-down. That's why I loved RR so much. Yeah it was "safe", but production wise? It blew the trilogy out of the water. Everything was louder and actually sounded finished, as opposed to before.  

Hopefully with this new album, we get some more loud guitar/bass/drum action again.

I heard a lot of Beatles and Queen influence on 21CB as well!!! Billie’s dreamy-like guitar in the second teaser reminds me of the intro to Before the Lobotomy!!! And the harder, crunchier guitars in the other teasers remind me of American Idiot!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

I heard a lot of Beatles and Queen influence on 21CB as well!!! Billie’s dreamy-like guitar in the second teaser reminds me of the intro to Before the Lobotomy!!! And the harder, crunchier guitars in the other teasers remind me of American Idiot!!!

no return and no looking back or down

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Red said:

Late reply, but I really fucking miss Butch Vig.

I couldn't agree more. 21CB is my favorite album of all time. The production quality on that album is unmatchable by nearly any other album. It still sounds fresh more than a decade later too. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Flashback said:

To me 21CB is also the best album, the production is just so beautiful! But I also like the production of the Trilogy. After nearly a decade of heavy guitars it was time to strip everything down a bit and create a more backyard-and-no-stadium-like feeling. So at first sight the production of the Trilogy seems more simple than of 21CB and AI but at the same time, it‘s partly even more complex and has many interesting elements in it (by example, they took Billie’s background vocals to the next level). And this is why I love the Trilogy as it is.

¡TRÉ! was actually like a stadium rock record. Especially with songs like Brutal Love and Dirty Rotten Bastards. In one of the pre-release interviews, Billie even said he wrote DRB with arena shows in mind

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Flashback said:

To me 21CB is also the best album, the production is just so beautiful! But I also like the production of the Trilogy. After nearly a decade of heavy guitars it was time to strip everything down a bit and create a more backyard-and-no-stadium-like feeling. So at first sight the production of the Trilogy seems more simple than of 21CB and AI but at the same time, it‘s partly even more complex and has many interesting elements in it (by example, they took Billie’s background vocals to the next level). And this is why I love the Trilogy as it is.

Interesting take on the Trilogy! Thanks for putting into words the feelings I’ve always felt but couldn’t put into words.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

¡TRÉ! was actually like a stadium rock record. Especially with songs like Brutal Love and Dirty Rotten Bastards. In one of the pre-release interviews, Billie even said he wrote DRB with arena shows in mind

We got ripped off. I would love to hear those songs live. It’s been pretty much over a decade. I wonder if those songs are now gone forever since it’s been so long. But they’ll play Welcome to Paradise and 2000 Light Years Away constantly. About 30 years of those on every set list = washroom break. 

Say what you want about King for a Day but the costume is cute and the dancing is very great. Unpopular opinion: I’ll never get tired of KFAD.

If the new tour after Hella Mega isn’t new or interesting I’m not going. I’m becoming so jaded I might retire my Green Day fandom entirely. Like ending a 30 year mariage to save me from stagnation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

We got ripped off. I would love to hear those songs live. It’s been pretty much over a decade. I wonder if those songs are now gone forever since it’s been so long. But they’ll play Welcome to Paradise and 2000 Light Years away constantly. About 30 years of those on every set list = washroom break. 

Say what you want about King for a Day but the costume is cute and the dancing is very great. Unpopular opinion: I’ll never get tired of KFAD.

If the new tour after Hella Mega isn’t new or interesting I’m going not going. I’m becoming so jaded I might retire my Green Day fandom entirely. Like ending a 30 year mariage to save me from stagnation.

Interesting take on the Trilogy! Thanks for putting into words the feelings I’ve always felt but couldn’t put into words.

I mean, I wouldn’t say we got ripped off. It’s clear the Trilogy to him was a reminder of a tough time in his life (the iHeart Radio incident and rehab). On the other hand, maybe those Otis remixes show that he’s starting to get over it and accept the Trilogy. I hope they do something good for the Trilogy’s 10th anniversary this year

• Like 3