1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

17 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Was it an exclusive event or was it public?

It was public at Hot Topic or something. People brought their pets and one couple got engaged. There’s videos around

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

This title was known many months ago.

How long ago did they stop calling it 1972?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlienVisitor said:

What if American Dream is just a 30 sec song with the lyrics "The American dream is killing me" on repeat till the end with intense handclapping in the background ??

With a background vocal saying "I wad a teenage teenager teenaging"   

18 minutes ago, That Dude said:

With a background vocal saying "I wad a teenage teenager teenaging"   

With semi-background vocal saying "bottle rockets and razor blades"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Not sure I completely agree with that. I had no issues with the lyrics for the title track, no issues with the verse lyrics from Oh Yeah, Junkies On A High, Take The Money and Crawl and Graffitia.

I think the issue is around complete and whole songs. For example a song like Letterbomb is a complete piece of music. Lyrics are great, composition is great and the music is awesome. Even the production of the song is near perfect. 

With foam when there were good lyrics the composition or music itself were lacking. Or when the musical parts were better or promising the lyrics were more cringe. It just wasn’t a cohesive record but the lyrics are not any worse than trilogy era or even rev rad. 

Maybe not AI or 21cb standards but honestly, people underestimate how deep Billie went to write those. It took a piece of out him. This isn’t Blink with a reunion every 10 years, Social D who puts out a record every 10 years with 13 songs on it. Green Day has been making records (along with consistent singles) every 4 years with massive world tours. Not to mention we also live in one of the most uninspiring times in human history. There was a song on tv in some awards show last year called wet ass pussy. Anything on Foam is a lyrical masterpiece compared to what’s out there today.

Maybe not a finer moment but I did like the “kick the dog when the whistle blows” part. Considering it was used as a hockey song but the saying also has multiple meanings relevant to events of that time. 

Overthinking Fire, Ready, Aim - I like it!   Maybe we will get Fire, Aim, Ready this time around.    I'm ready for track lists.  Real, fake, tentative, anything!   

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 11:51 AM, legendary said:

You guys need to go to a Nobody's Church to The Lord listen to your prayers. 

And this shit is real too?

24 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Not sure I completely agree with that. I had no issues with the lyrics for the title track, no issues with the verse lyrics from Oh Yeah, Junkies On A High, Take The Money and Crawl and Graffitia.

I think the issue is around complete and whole songs. For example a song like Letterbomb is a complete piece of music. Lyrics are great, composition is great and the music is awesome. Even the production of the song is near perfect. 

With foam when there were good lyrics the composition or music itself were lacking. Or when the musical parts were better or promising the lyrics were more cringe. It just wasn’t a cohesive record but the lyrics are not any worse than trilogy era or even rev rad. 

Maybe not AI or 21cb standards but honestly, people underestimate how deep Billie went to write those. It took a piece of out him. This isn’t Blink with a reunion every 10 years, Social D who puts out a record every 10 years with 13 songs on it. Green Day has been making records (along with consistent singles) every 4 years with massive world tours. Not to mention we also live in one of the most uninspiring times in human history. There was a song on tv in some awards show last year called wet ass pussy. Anything on Foam is a lyrical masterpiece compared to what’s out there today.

Maybe not a finer moment but I did like the “kick the dog when the whistle blows” part. Considering it was used as a hockey song but the saying also has multiple meanings relevant to events of that time. 

Have to agree, kick the dog... was a definitely a good line. I know I cherry-picked from one song, it was just the first thing that came to mind

6 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

Have to agree, kick the dog... was a definitely a good line. I know I cherry-picked from one song, it was just the first thing that came to mind

How about “Rip it up on retribution, turn it up sideways!!!!”?

• Like 1

I agree with @Sheenius that the problem with the songs were that he gave up on good ideas halfway through. Half the songs feel like they’re missing something, a bridge, another verse, a change up in the chorus whatever. The album just leaves me feeling unsatisfied in both the songs and the overall short runtime. It’s like an elevator pitch of a great album.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Clockwise said:

Longer titles are kinda in now! I like it, but I’m guessing it’s just a lyric in the single.

Longer titles, Long songs?! Let’s hope Billie is back to this philosophy. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

On the other hand, a secret show seems more likely, because if they have the date already planned out for October 24th, then the music video was probably already filmed weeks, if not, months ago

I don't know about that. 10 hours is a long fucking shoot for something that is already done. 

Just now, AlienVisitor said:

Billie - I hate long songs.

*Proceeds to make Jesus of Suburbia part 2 *

That’s why you should never believe a word he says, or at least not for very long

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I don't know about that. 10 hours is a long fucking shoot for something that is already done. 

I wrote this before I noticed the 5pm to 3am availability

If the song is great and I actually enjoy it I will donate to the charity of @GDFan2019s choice.

If it isn’t good, I’m using that money on Pokémon cards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DJ Rosstar said:

I’m a lyrics guy, and I hold Billie Joe to a higher standard than any other band I listen to. When people tell me they love the FOAMF record, it makes me think that they do not care about lyrics the way that I do. They are cringey throughout the whole thing!

19 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don’t think that’s entirely true, like always there are some gems there, but you have to dig a little deeper to find them. “Rock and roll fantasy, I think the next one could be me”, “All hell is breaking loose and heaven only knows” are my favorites

When you look at the lyrics of the title track, I think it’s a message directed at Warner. “Huh-uh come on honey! Huh-uh count your money! Huh-uh what’s so funny? There’s a riot livin inside of us!!” And I’m sure there were heated contract talks so Billie labeled them the “Father of All Motherfuckers”!!!

• Like 1