1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

17 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Thinking about how this album could be not so much American Idiot part two, which was a coming of age story, kind of “life during wartime” thing, but 21st Century Breakdown part two checking in on the further deterioration of society.

American Dream and “The American dream is killing me” evoke these lyrics:

“Oh dream, America dream, I can’t even sleep from the light’s early dawn

Oh scream, America scream, believe what you see from heroes and cons”

21CB contains some of his most brilliant and insightful lyrics. Can we just talk about the clever way he turns the national anthem on its head when he says “from the light’s early dawn”?

In the Star Spangled Banner you wake up and see the flag in the daylight and it inspires hope (“Oh say can you see, by the dawn’s early light”)

Flipping “dawn’s early light” to “light’s early dawn” because the narrator is up all night with worry and feeling hopeless is such a subtle but powerful statement.  He does bring the hope back at the end with See The Light, calling back to the theme. 21CB is packed with goodies like this.

I’m excited for American Dream and the ways in which he might play around with these ideas in a way that feels current. 

For American Dream being the theme here, I wonder why they went with pink and black, instead of red, white and blue

10 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

For American Dream being the theme here, I wonder why they went with pink and black, instead of red, white and blue

Right now we still don't know for sure how much pink is involved, I'm thinking it's just an accent/it'll be the colour of the Green Day logo and the rest is black and white which fits pretty well with the dreary broken America vibe

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

A little too on the nose maybe? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

It's the punk way

48 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Thinking about how this album could be not so much American Idiot part two, which was a coming of age story, kind of “life during wartime” thing, but 21st Century Breakdown part two checking in on the further deterioration of society.

American Dream and “The American dream is killing me” evoke these lyrics:

“Oh dream, America dream, I can’t even sleep from the light’s early dawn

Oh scream, America scream, believe what you see from heroes and cons”

21CB contains some of his most brilliant and insightful lyrics. Can we just talk about the clever way he turns the national anthem on its head when he says “from the light’s early dawn”?

In the Star Spangled Banner you wake up and see the flag in the daylight and it inspires hope (“Oh say can you see, by the dawn’s early light”)

Flipping “dawn’s early light” to “light’s early dawn” because the narrator is up all night with worry and feeling hopeless is such a subtle but powerful statement.  He does bring the hope back at the end with See The Light, calling back to the theme. 21CB is packed with goodies like this.

I’m excited for American Dream and the ways in which he might play around with these ideas in a way that feels current. 

You just articulated everything I was feeling but couldn't...I'm looking forward to American Dream as well!

• Like 2

I love the vibe of tonight’s message boards. Last night there was so much pessimism. Time for the new era!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, nflsbest26 said:

I love the vibe of tonight’s message boards. Last night there was so much pessimism. Time for the new era!

LOL I was starting to panic when they posted that CFL Halftime show announcement. I was like. "THIS CAN'T POSSIBLY BE THE THING THEY WERE TEASING ON ISGREENDAYAWAKE.COM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GDFan2019 said:

LOL I was starting to panic when they posted that CFL Halftime show announcement. I was like. "THIS CAN'T POSSIBLY BE THE THING THEY WERE TEASING ON ISGREENDAYAWAKE.COM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

When that bullshit instagram account greenday_info posted that the CFL news wasn't the official news I was scared he was lying lol

• Haha 1

I have a feeling 1981 will be “she’s a rebel” ish of this album - imagine if they played that song as the first kick off to American idiot

• Like 2

I’ve been seeing a lot of websites and stuff refer to the album as Sweet American Dream. Any validity?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, That Dude said:

It's not their best album, but it's better than Dookie, Insomniac, Breakdown, 39, Kerplunk and Dos.  

............Where's is the price is right sound when you get the answer WRONG!!!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, 420thedoctor69 said:

I’ve been seeing a lot of websites and stuff refer to the album as Sweet American Dream. Any validity?

At this point I think its more then likely true.  I personally was thinking the song would have that title and the song was the title of the album.  But hey.

• Like 1

Where do you guys think this album will fall in your ranking of the Green Day albums?   I know we're all pretty much locked in to our Top Three albums at this point in the game, but can a new record still shatter your #4 spot?    

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Where do you guys think this album will fall in your ranking of the Green Day albums?   I know we're all pretty much locked in to our Top Three albums at this point in the game, but can a new record still shatter your #4 spot?    

Above cigarettes and valentines, but below 1972. Maybe tied with international super hits.:banana:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Chris Dugan I think mixed FOAM

Tchad Blake I think actually

7 minutes ago, Radiation Fear said:

Above cigarettes and valentines, but below 1972. Maybe tied with international super hits.:banana:

C&V is easily Green Day’s best work

19 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

How can anyone possibly answer that?

Easy. It’s below C&V.

41 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

How can anyone possibly answer that?

I guess to rephrase is do you THINK you will really love this album, really hate it or something between?  

But a ranking between 1 and 14 will sufice.  Haha

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That Dude said:

I guess to rephrase is do you THINK you will really love this album, really hate it or something between?  

Better than FOAM, not as good as Dookie. How about that?

13 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Can you make a ranking video ASAP where you rank the new record? It would also be cool to see a video of Green Day records ranked by how you think you will feel about them.

• Like 1