1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

2023 has had some really, really good rock releases (none of them being FOB)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

That album hasn't been released yet, how do you know it's a good rock release?

I just meant that it's coming

• Like 2

A band that treats its fans well. Doesn’t hold them hostage with fake teasing and legacy releases for over 2 yrs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 龑美優 said:

2023 has had some really, really good rock releases (none of them being FOB)

What are the best albums of the year so far for you? 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 6:01 AM, Sheenius said:

I actually had no idea about that. Is this in the same vein as that dude from Hedley?

He's known to groom young guys and trying to coerce them into sex.

2 hours ago, That Dude said:

What are the best albums of the year so far for you? 

My personal favorites:

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse
Trophy Eyes - Suicide and Sunshine
Samiam - Stowaway
Katatonia - Sky Void of Stars
Overkill - Scorched
Cattle Decapitation - Terrasite
Spanish Love Songs - No Joy
Lovebites - Judgement Day
Trespasser- ἈΠΟΚΆΛΥΨΙΣ
Gel - Only Constant
Scowl - Psychic Dance Routine
Bearings - The Best Part About Being Human
Fireworks - Higher Lonely Power
Frenzal Rhomb - The Cup Of Pestilence
The Dirty Nil - Free Rein To Passions

The singles that The Menzingers & Sincere Engineer have released are also very, very promising so I think those albums are likely to deliver on the goods when they release. 

• Like 3

Sigur Ros - Atta

Miss Grit - Follow The Cyborg

Black Pumas- Chronicles of a Diamond (Oct.)

• Like 1

i think the blink album is rumoured to come out in october

(insane ticket prices and sold out shows sadly, i hope and i am sure they will do another tour when the album is released)

for me personally blink and green day are and have always been the top tier bands of modern punk rock! while green day being more progressive/mature in their sound and blink being more "happy/funny" (+dick jokes lol)

i cant be more happier than now with both of my favorite punk bands releasing new lps soon

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 龑美優 said:

My personal favorites:

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - PetroDragonic Apocalypse
Trophy Eyes - Suicide

The singles that The Menzingers & Sincere Engineer have released are also very, very promising so I think those albums are likely to deliver on the goods when they release. 

I'm so excited for the new Sincere Engineer album, so far it's the only record I've ordered this year that wasn't a reissue lol. I'm going to order the new menzingers album though too, I just haven't gotten around to it yet

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

A band that treats its fans well. Doesn’t hold them hostage with fake teasing and legacy releases for over 2 yrs.

They literally owe us nothing. 

My album of the year so far is 

“Chaos for the fly “ by Grian Chatten…… who is more commonly known as the lead singer of Irish band Fontaines DC.. 

He has a fantastic poetry about his lyrics, the music is minimal and almost secondary. I think its great. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Va3yJwkVEFs&pp=ygUNR3JpYW4gQ2hhdHRlbg%3D%3D

• Like 1
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, 龑美優 said:

The Dirty Nil - Free Rein To Passions

This album is such a ripper

• Like 2

You guys know I have to hear every song ever, right?   Currently going through @龑美優 list and at Cattle Decapitation's The Storm Upstairs.   Not very Green Day like but holy poop, it's good.

• Like 2

Instrumentallly speaking,  what album does 1981 remind you guys of? Im feeling longshot or uno based on just a few listens. Just straight pop rock i guess. I even hear some beatles in the melody.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cav9mm said:

They literally owe us nothing. 

My album of the year so far is 

“Chaos for the fly “ by Grian Chatten…… who is more commonly known as the lead singer of Irish band Fontaines DC.. 

He has a fantastic poetry about his lyrics, the music is minimal and almost secondary. I think its great. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Va3yJwkVEFs&pp=ygUNR3JpYW4gQ2hhdHRlbg%3D%3D

Thanks! I’ll have to check this out!

5 hours ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Instrumentallly speaking,  what album does 1981 remind you guys of? Im feeling longshot or uno based on just a few listens. Just straight pop rock i guess. I even hear some beatles in the melody.

Good call! Are there any Beatles songs that come to mind to You?

I feel like the trilogy sounds like the boys just being true punks making fun music for the first time I a long time, and ‘81 sounds like true to that notion

My top of the year is So Much for Stardust, but im sure the new blink will prob overtake it and if the new Sum 41 and gd come out this year, those prob will too.

• Like 1

I would love to have a new Blink, Sum and Green Day record at the same time. Feeling like 2000's.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I would love to have a new Blink, Sum and Green Day record at the same time. Feeling like 2000's.

Makes sense since they're all playing When We Were Young!!!

• Like 1

For me FOB. I have my doubts for blink cause I dont really like the last stuff with Tom (especially his singing voice) and I hate „Edging“. Miss their old stuff….

But hope the last Sum 41 album has a lot of heavy stuff

• Like 1

I've still not heard the new FOB or Foo Fighters albums. Idk why. I really liked the new Paramore album This Is Why though. It took a few listens to really grow on me but I definitely think it's in their top 3

I don't like Edging either. The only way I think the new blink album can impress me is if the rest of the album is very different from Edging. I do have pretty high hopes for Sum 41's album because they have been doing interesting things for their last few albums

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I've still not heard the new FOB or Foo Fighters albums. Idk why. I really liked the new Paramore album This Is Why though. It took a few listens to really grow on me but I definitely think it's in their top 3

I don't like Edging either. The only way I think the new blink album can impress me is if the rest of the album is very different from Edging. I do have pretty high hopes for Sum 41's album because they have been doing interesting things for their last few albums

Oh, Fall Out Boy and Foo put out some bangers....but I wasn't too impressed with Paramore and really love Edging, so you may feel differently.  😄 

7 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Who engineered the Trilogy and FOAM?

Both engineered by Chris Dugan as well, didn't mention the trilogy because I didn't want to start that debate haha (I actually love the sound of those records other than some weird vocal editing). Trilogy was mixed by CLA as well.

For FOAM I'm not sure how much Dugan was involved after pre-production, I know I heard in an interview with Butch Walker that the title track was using recordings from the band's rough demo done at Otis by Dugan but I'd imagine he was along for the recordings of other songs as well as he's credited as engineer. Maybe not though as I do think sonically the title track wins over everything else on that record. Obviously very different production overall on FOAM though as a result of Walker and that one was mixed by Tchad Blake which I don't personally think was a great fit for GD - but again, hard to tell considering the production style, would be curious to hear a more traditional Green Day sound mixed by him.

• Like 1