1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

15 hours ago, Maddie86 said:

I really hope they don't do anything like that, I feel like Dookie would overshadow the new album and they've been delaying the new album because they feel it's special and want it to get the most attention. It makes more sense to me to release the new album first but idk, I've never been in marketing or anything, maybe White Tim could give his opinion on this since he's worked with labels. 

I agree with you, but I don't trust Crush to not attempt something wacky like this to drive new album sales

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, That Dude said:

21st Century Breakdown followed by 8,000,000 pages of speculation as we wait for the 9th Green Day record.     Imagine if Breakdown was the last time we heard from Green Day.   Last of the the American Girls the last single.  

Dang.

LOTAG as the final single? Yeesh. Way to end on a whimper instead of a bang.

1 hour ago, That Dude said:

21st Century Breakdown followed by 8,000,000 pages of speculation as we wait for the 9th Green Day record.     Imagine if Breakdown was the last time we heard from Green Day.   Last of the the American Girls the last single.  

Dang.

And if this was true Last of the American Girls would also be the last song about a girl.

But luckily Chinese Revolution would have a cover of About A Girl once the album was released in 2025.

Albums with potential quality take 16 years to make!

38 minutes ago, The Grohl said:

LOTAG as the final single? Yeesh. Way to end on a whimper instead of a bang.

We’d have 16 years to play our vinyl records singing songs of Chinese destruction.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, localinsomniac said:

What if Crush is trying to Mickey Mouse a package of the anniversary and new albums together. Release them on the same day as standalones and as some deluxe thing they slap together, with one or two live tracks shoehorned in there for good measure

Crush nor Green Day own Dookie they can’t release it Reprise owns Dookie so couldn’t be a package thing 

If there’s an actually release of Dookie 30th Crush could release the new album same day but it would just be sabotage for the band 

22 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Crush nor Green Day own Dookie they can’t release it Reprise owns Dookie so couldn’t be a package thing 

If there’s an actually release of Dookie 30th Crush could release the new album same day but it would just be sabotage for the band 

Reprise ownes nimrod and it got a package

1 minute ago, Insomniac90 said:

Reprise ownes nimrod and it got a package

Nimrod does not have a package with a new Green Day album… 

Dookie can get a package like Nimrod’s but as far as a Dookie 30th being packaged with 1972 or whatever the new album is called isn’t possible unless GD resigns with Reprise… 

I just messaged Hans on Instagram to see if he could give any insight on the release schedules for both Dookie 30 and the new album

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Surprised 1

24 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Dookie can get a package like Nimrod’s but as far as a Dookie 30th being packaged with 1972 or whatever the new album is called isn’t possible unless GD resigns with Reprise… 

Oh yeah sorry I misunderstood 😂

Thought you meant just as a standalone package

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteTim said:

Do we have any indication of them not being under reprise anymore? Crush is their management company, and despite the fact that they are also a label, most of their big names like Sia, FOB and Lorde publish records with other labels. Weezer did publish Van Weezer and the following EPs under Crush, but as a co-production with Atlantic. 
And anyway both Crush and Reprise are owned by Warner, and Reprise nowadays distributes through Warner Records, so I highly doubt a right issue would arise here even if the next record is solely published by Crush music. It’s more of a Chinese box situation then anything else. 

Edit: Green Day are still listed under Warner Records (parent company of Reprise, which doesn’t even have a website anymore) roster: https://www.warnerrecords.com, and from this article it looks like Crush Music as a label will not distribute records on its own, but always use Atlantic or Warner Records for that: https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/sia-management-company-crush-music-launches-new-label-with-warner/

So essentially the distribution strategy is in Warner’s hand and they can do whatever they want, regardless of which label, Crush or Reprise, is publishing it. And anyway Warner owns those too. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, HAPPY FINKING UNICORN said:

Do we have any indication of them not being under reprise anymore? Crush is their management company, and despite the fact that they are also a label, most of their big names like Sia, FOB and Lorde publish records with other labels. Weezer did publish Van Weezer and the following EPs under Crush, but as a co-production with Atlantic. 
And anyway both Crush and Reprise are owned by Warner, and Reprise nowadays distributes through Warner Records, so I highly doubt a right issue would arise here even if the next record is solely published by Crush music. It’s more of a Chinese box situation then anything else. 

Edit: Green Day are still listed under Warner Records (parent company of Reprise, which doesn’t even have a website anymore) roster: https://www.warnerrecords.com, and from this article it looks like Crush Music as a label will not distribute records on its own, but always use Atlantic or Warner Records for that: https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/sia-management-company-crush-music-launches-new-label-with-warner/

So essentially the distribution strategy is in Warner’s hand and they can do whatever they want, regardless of which label, Crush or Reprise, is publishing it. And anyway Warner owns those too. 

Crush is independent

Warner does not own Crush 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteTim said:

But they are still with warner

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alf said:

But they are still with warner

Are they? They had seemed to be confusing on that end 

14 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Are they? They had seemed to be confusing on that end 

was told here in this thread that warner is holding back '1972' release, so yeah, we're pretty sure

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Crush is independent

Warner does not own Crush 

Crush as a management company is independent. Crush music the record label is a Warmer joint venture and is not independent, it distributes records through other Warner labels like Atlantic and Warner Records (which still has Green Day in its roster, wether as under Reprise or directly under WR we don’t know): https://www.wmg.com/news/crush-music-launches-label-warner-music-group-21181

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, HAPPY FINKING UNICORN said:

Crush as a management company is independent. Crush music the record label is a Warmer joint venture and is not independent, it distributes records through other Warner labels like Atlantic and Warner Records (which still has Green Day in its roster, wether as under Reprise or directly under WR we don’t know): https://www.wmg.com/news/crush-music-launches-label-warner-music-group-21181

Distribution doesn’t mean Warner owns Crush 

if that’s the case Warner owns my label which they don’t they just distributed 

1 minute ago, WhiteTim said:

Distribution doesn’t mean Warner owns Crush 

if that’s the case Warner owns my label which they don’t they just distributed 

Man, I don’t wanna be a pain in the ass but I just shared with you a Warner music group press statement that says “Warner Music Group (WMG) has announced the creation of a joint venture with Crush Music co-founders, Jonathan Daniel and Bob McLynn.” and “Warner Bros. Records Chairman & CEO Cameron Strang. “This new label will make an excellent addition to the family, and we are all looking forward to working together to nurture exciting artists and release amazing music.”

On top of that, Warner distributes its records, and a label to be independent cannot operate with a major in the funding or distribution of its music. Crush music is both funded and distributed by Warner, so it is not an independent label by definition. And as you were arguing there could be issues in creating a 1972/Dookie bundle, this is clearly not the case. 

• Like 2

Ok after reading the article it seems they have entered into a ownership deal up

16 minutes ago, HAPPY FINKING UNICORN said:

Man, I don’t wanna be a pain in the ass but I just shared with you a Warner music group press statement that says “Warner Music Group (WMG) has announced the creation of a joint venture with Crush Music co-founders, Jonathan Daniel and Bob McLynn.” and “Warner Bros. Records Chairman & CEO Cameron Strang. “This new label will make an excellent addition to the family, and we are all looking forward to working together to nurture exciting artists and release amazing music.”

On top of that, Warner distributes its records, and a label to be independent cannot operate with a major in the funding or distribution of its music. Crush music is both funded and distributed by Warner, so it is not an independent label by definition. And as you were arguing there could be issues in creating a 1972/Dookie bundle, this is clearly not the case. 

Yes I was driving so didn’t read the article so yes it appears Crush Label is co owned but not all distribution deals are ownership deals like you applied some are just that distribution 

As far as the bundle deal yes it is the case there’s a reason why Ray Charles has two separate box sets one for his Warner Bros Records albums and one for his Atlantic Records albums and not as a combo while they’re owned by the same parent company they do operate differently now could they come to a deal yes but they can’t just flat out bundle without agreement 

I’ll also add in without seeing the specific contracts it’s all just speculation as well 

I’m also hoping Green Day isn’t actually apart of Crush as a label 

2 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I just messaged Hans on Instagram to see if he could give any insight on the release schedules for both Dookie 30 and the new album

Well, he actually replied!!! But he said he‘s more in the dark than we are!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Surprised 4

42 minutes ago, Squashie said:

How about we not willing bother or message a guitar tech for "information"

Boundaries, dude. Bound. air. ies. (learn them)

The guy has replied to multiple fans multiple times. Why are you judging so harshly?

13 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Well, he actually replied!!! But he said he‘s more in the dark than we are!!!

Wow! That’s so cool he answered again! Weird he’s in the dark.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

The guy has replied to multiple fans multiple times. Why are you judging so harshly?

Wow! That’s so cool he answered again! Weird he’s in the dark.

That's funny coming from you who judges PaceJunkie and Mikey when they comment about "information"...

Hans is not in Green Day. He's a person on salary/payroll in the background. Commenting on his public posts and him replying back, publicly is fine, but willingly going into his DM's and asking for information is disrespectful, and crossing a boundary

• Like 2
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, Squashie said:

That's funny coming from you who judges PaceJunkie and Mikey when they comment about "information"...

Hans is not in Green Day. He's a person on salary/payroll in the background. Commenting on his public posts and him replying back, publicly is fine, but willingly going into his DM's and asking for information is disrespectful, and crossing a boundary

What boundary? People DM all the time. He’s willfully answering fans. He could easily ask them to stop or block them.

• Like 3

Could it be an EP and album packaged together?  I was thinking one could be very Dookie like and the other be either a new sound or American Idiot like.    

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Could it be an EP and album packaged together?  I was thinking one could be very Dookie like and the other be either a new sound or American Idiot like.    

That would be fun!

• Like 1