1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

22 minutes ago, Zebahar said:

Honestly if you look at the dates, they are each about 2 weeks apart, give or take a few days. If you ask me, I still think there could be another hint, but probably at the end of the week or into the weekend, as that follows more closely to the 2 week intervals.

I've been through quite a few of these album speculation cycles, each time with new and crazy theories. They are fun, don't get me wrong, but from all my experience with this stuff, Green Day has NEVER been a band to make complex hints and puzzles for fans to figure out. They might leave a cheeky comment here or there, use some hashtags, and post some videos, but nothing more than that. It just doesn't seem like their style

Yeah but now they have more freedom without Warner. I’m sure they never would’ve done the FOAM September-February release window if they were off Warner by then

Guys, I would really hate to be the downer, but I think Feb 17 feels way to early to release an album they only just started teasing.
Okay not only that, but if I was Billie Joe, I probably wouldn't want to put my new album out on my Birthday, just like I hate going to work on my actual Birthday.
1972 is probably what the album is going to be called, and it's probably going to be a celebration of 50 years of the band members being alive, and it's fucking fantastic that you are excited... but I think you need to slow down just a tad if you think the band is just going to announce and drop a new album in such a short period of time. 

If we're lucky, I think we might get another teaser or something but please don't be disappointed if the band members don't go dropping massive announcements on their birthdays.

In short. The album hasn't even been announced yet. I very much doubt it's coming out anytime soon.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Red said:

Guys, I would really hate to be the downer, but I think Feb 17 feels way to early to release an album they only just started teasing.
Okay not only that, but if I was Billie Joe, I probably wouldn't want to put my new album out on my Birthday, just like I hate going to work on my actual Birthday.
1972 is probably what the album is going to be called, and it's probably going to be a celebration of 50 years of the band members being alive, and it's fucking fantastic that you are excited... but I think you need to slow down just a tad if you think the band is just going to announce and drop a new album in such a short period of time. 

If we're lucky, I think we might get another teaser or something but please don't be disappointed if the band members don't go giving you gigantic presents on their birthdays.

In short. The album hasn't even been announced yet. I very much doubt it's coming out anytime soon.

I think they are teasing it to frequently for it not to be a soonish release. I'd say it will at the very least be announced this month, and released next month or so. But optimistically I think it'll be announced and released this month 

• Like 1

Well I still believe in the birthday theorie, because Billie said that he would get a lot of presents and added „hint hint“. At least SOMETHING will come on his birthday!

7 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Yeah but now they have more freedom without Warner. I’m sure they never would’ve done the FOAM September-February release window if they were off Warner by then

The are still on warner

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Flashback said:

Well I still believe in the birthday theorie, because Billie said that he would get a lot of presents and added „hint hint“. At least SOMETHING will come on his birthday!

This interview was about him turning 50, this album wasn’t even conceptualized yet

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jankowski576 said:

This interview was about him turning 50, this album wasn’t even conceptualized yet

I mean, he could’ve just finished writing the songs

24 minutes ago, Jankowski576 said:

Tbf you don’t actually know how long they’ve been planning this.

It’s possible this is going to be a long game but part of their intent behind the new deal was to release music quicker. I think they were frustrated by the year long wait between recording and release of the last album and that was largely due to Warner’s artist release schedule and manufacturing of vinyl. I think they are free of those constraints now.  

Plus I know an album can take time, but Billie said they recorded six songs in London and the first teaser specifically referred to that session only so we could still be getting an EP which could drop quickly. I just think they have too much else going on beginning with shows and festivals in the spring/summer for them to release it later. They’ll want to play a new song or two at those shows and have something new to promote and need to do the promotion before.

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Tbf you don’t actually know how long they’ve been planning this.

It’s possible this is going to be a long game but part of their intent behind the new deal was to release music quicker. I think they were frustrated by the year long wait between recording and release of the last album and that was largely due to Warner’s artist release schedule and manufacturing of vinyl. I think they are free of those constraints now.  

Plus I know an album can take time, but Billie said they recorded six songs in London and the first teaser specifically referred to that session only so we could still be getting an EP which could drop quickly. I just think they have too much else going on beginning with shows and festivals in the spring/summer for them to release it later. They’ll want to play a new song or two at those shows and have something new to promote and need to do the promotion before.

Yes!! We got the Super Bowl show this month on the day before the game, and the MLB Innings Festival next month!!! I’m surprised there wasn’t any announcement yesterday at least for a new single. I remember back in 2016 Bang Bang came out on August 11th and they announced it on the 1st

• Like 2

It will definitely come out relatively soon, but the tying back to an early 2021 interview that was not about releasing music for a release date was just grasping at straws

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jengd said:

I really don’t mind how they play it but I really hate this trend of lead single one month and album not for another 5 months like happened with FOAM.

...and it's really only "necessary" for small to mid-sized artists who are desperately trying to squeeze as much out of Spotify and other streaming platforms' low pay rate as possible. Bands like Green Day, on the other hand, do not need to do this.

It's a bit like all these big (and rich) artists suing private individuals who might have infringed copyright in some way (for example by selling a 40 year old bootleg on Ebay, cough cough). 

Sure, they can do that and it's entirely in their right to do it, but it makes them come off as petty and out of touch...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

...and it's really only "necessary" for small to mid-sized artists who are desperately trying to squeeze as much out of Spotify and other streaming platforms' low pay rate as possible. Bands like Green Day, on the other hand, do not need to do this.

It's a bit like all these big (and rich) artists suing private individuals who might have infringed copyright in some way (for example by selling a 40 year old bootleg on Ebay, cough cough). 

Sure, they can do that and it's entirely in their right to do it, but it makes them come off as petty and out of touch...

It was my understanding that the five month wait was for the vinyl to be available. If the album is available to stream months before the vinyl and CD it cuts into album sales that earn more. So release them together, but with only one manufacturing plant left in the world, vinyl takes months. I think it’s also the packaging and other physical bits that take time with a big label because you’re in line behind all their other artists and they run on a schedule.    Again none of that should apply anymore if they’re only using Warner for distribution now and care more about releasing music than maximizing profits 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It was my understanding that the five month wait was for the vinyl to be available. If the album is available to stream months before the vinyl and CD it cuts into album sales that earn more. So release them together, but with only one manufacturing plant left in the world, vinyl takes months.

That's a good point, but how come the wait is so much longer now than it used to be? Not sure about Green Day (I recall past gaps being a lot shorter), but loads of artists used to release their albums on CD and vinyl at roughly the same time (sometimes slightly later on vinyl), but without a 5 month wait between the first single and album release. I think there's more to it than simply physical restraints and that marketing objectives also play a role. Single digital downloads (never mind physical copy sales) and radio / TV airplay are just not as relevant as they used to be, so the alternative is to give more time to exposure on streaming platforms and social media, which is also important for ticket sales for the tour later on. Again, as I said, all of this makes good financial sense for small to mid-sized artists, but is not necessary for bigger bands. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

They smoke too much dope for that lol

And like with Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds they find out all this stuff has meaning later and are like whoah dude 🤯🤯🤯

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

I had heard the band had a whole other album already done by the time FOAM released. Not saying this is that, but just pointing out they have a lot of stuff that we have never heard. At this point in their career, I cannot imagine the band is still at a linear process of "Write, demo, record, mix, master, release" and repeat.

Definitely agree with this last point

And if they have another album from the last session why have they even been sitting on it this long when they keep saying they want to release music more frequently  (I keep waiting for the day we actually hear some of this mountain of stuff we’re told exists but never seem to get)

• Like 2