1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

I don’t get the excitement for the song, can someone explain it to me ? 

I don’t want to judge the song now, I’ll wait for the studio version, but I haven’t heard anything encouraging for now 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Didn't they play like a ton of unheard songs during 21CB era too? Ik there were a ton of trilogy songs played live before they released on the trilogy. And I'm pretty sure a lot of these songs were played like a while before they ended up even announcing the trilogy, like a year before or something. And even Dreamcatcher, Olivia, Oh Girl were unreleased songs played live around that time too, right?

I don't see this song being a lead single, it just doesn't sound like something you'd release as a lead single, but then again Green Day's lead single choices have been weird. But this doesn't sound like the type of song you'd introduce a new album or a new era with imo.

We first heard Stay the Night at the soundcheck for the 2010 Dublin Marlay Park show. It’s on YT.

When they played  in Mainz later that summer they also debuted Fuck Time as Green Day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I think just the fact they played a new song out of nowhere is the excitement. I mean what the fuck and why?

Yes but knowing how Green Day can do things randomly I don’t think it means much.

i don’t take it as a hint for any announcement soon. So except the song played live we’re still at the same place. Many questions, no answers (for now)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nohamxx said:

Yes but knowing how Green Day can do things randomly I don’t think it means much.

Can. But that spontaneity seemed to have been drying up lately, especially with that Hella Mega setlist. It’s just nice to know that cool shit that comes out of nowhere like this can still happen at any given show

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, nohamxx said:

i don’t take it as a hint for any announcement soon. So except the song played live we’re still at the same place. Many questions, no answers (for now)

Hans Buscher kinda confirmed that they‘re gearing up for the album promotion. 

This is the price you pay when you tease something too early.

They raised anticipation for so god damn long and now some people are disappointed already.

I hope 1981 is just a filler song on the album

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

I don't care that you don't like the song, it's fun and catchy but it's not their best work, whatever, it's power pop/catchy punk rock, there's only so much you can do with the genre, I was just annoyed by your comment that it's "typical green day" and nothing new. What sort of new thing were you expecting? I love green day so "typical green day" to me is a good thing. There's bound to be different sounding stuff on the album, but they almost always have the first single from an album be more of a classic green day sound, so this is the kind of song I expected 

yup and after all the experimentation they had on FOAm, it's not a bad thing to be a typical Green Day, because the chances of being awesome stuff is great

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

I don't care that you don't like the song, it's fun and catchy but it's not their best work, whatever, it's power pop/catchy punk rock, there's only so much you can do with the genre, I was just annoyed by your comment that it's "typical green day" and nothing new. What sort of new thing were you expecting? I love green day so "typical green day" to me is a good thing. There's bound to be different sounding stuff on the album, but they almost always have the first single from an album be more of a classic green day sound, so this is the kind of song I expected 

Something can sound like Green Day and also feel varied and thoughtful. See American Idiot, see 21CB, see RevRad.

• Like 2

Correct me if I’m wrong… but isn’t this the first time the lyrics of a Green Day song are about a character since the trilogy? 

• Like 1

How often has Tre destroyed his drum kit during the last couple of years at the end of a show? Has he done it before in 2021/22? I don't remember 

Wondering if it means it was the last show with the leopard print (which I've always hated lol) meaning that in September he'll be playing on next era's kit already

• Like 4

Swedish House Mafia often premiered new songs live and released them several YEARS later. So let's be happy if they release the song just a few months later 😅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BratReject23 said:

People on gdc: this band is boring they don't love us why they wait too long for drop new music.

Also gdc when an actual new song comes out: I can't get the hype of the new song, never thought to say that foam was better, I don't like short songs, it's typical green day...

🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

What are you talking about? The vast majority of people here are appreciating the new song and there are a few people like "It's ok", "Meh", "I'd prefer the song to be longer" or "Idk how I feel about this song". Which are perfectly fine responses to this song. There was way more vitriol when other songs were released like Here Comes The Shock. I don't think I've seen a single person say anything like "never thought I'd say that foam was better". Now, apparently just not having an especially positive view of this song is bad or something, I don't get it.

I honestly think FOAMF has really just lowered everyone's expectations. If we heard this after RevRad or something, way more people would be saying "This sounds like shit" but after FOAMF, it's all "Well it's better than FOAMF so I guess I'm happy with it"

2 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Because Genius would know lol

That GD14 album on genius at one point had Here Comes The Shock, Pollyanna and Holy Toledo on it. It literally is just a user-edited tracklist

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

What are you talking about? The vast majority of people here are appreciating the new song and there are a few people like "It's ok", "Meh", "I'd prefer the song to be longer" or "Idk how I feel about this song". Which are perfectly fine responses to this song. There was way more vitriol when other songs were released like Here Comes The Shock. I don't think I've seen a single person say anything like "never thought I'd say that foam was better". Now, apparently just not having an especially positive view of this song is bad or something, I don't get it.

I honestly think FOAMF has really just lowered everyone's expectations. If we heard this after RevRad or something, way more people would be saying "This sounds like shit" but after FOAMF, it's all "Well it's better than FOAMF so I guess I'm happy with it"

That GD14 album on genius at one point had Here Comes The Shock, Pollyanna and Holy Toledo on it. It literally is just a user-edited tracklist

And plus we're hearing it out of someone's phone way back in the crowd, so of course it's not going to sound the best. The studio instrumental track, which Billie accidentally leaked last year, already sounds better than this, and even then, we heard it through Billie's phone!!! Just wait until we get the final product!!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M1KEY said:

Not just lead singles, singles in general. 

Redundant over Prosthetic Head (which WAS going to be a single) or maybe Scattered...
Last of the American Girls over songs like The Static Age, Peacemaker or Before the Lobotomy...
Forever Now not getting a single/video release like was considered...
Graffitia being entirely overlooked and giving us all garbage singles...

Honestly don't have an issue with Redundant being a single. Prosthetic Head doesn't sound like a single track to me at all. Scattered could've worked in place of Redundant but I don't really have a problem with them going for Redundant there

Last of the American Girls is also fine as a single imo. It's a radio friendly song, fine for a 5th single release for the album. The Static Age could've worked in its place too. Peacemaker and Before the Lobotomy are better songs but don't sound like singles to me either. The main mistake with 21CB singles imo was having KYE be the lead single. That song still works well as a single but it wasn't the best way to introduce people to the album. The title track absolutely should've been the lead single

• Like 3