1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

Today’s Quebec City show is the last one until Louder than Life at the end of September. What are the chances we get a single before that show?

• Like 3

Will this become the longest thread on GDC ever?   Hopefully the "early 2024" is January or Febraury, but it could be March or April.    

And because we know so little, it might not be early.    Could be December 2024 for all we know.  Could Milkteenth 47th, 3030. 

We do have 500 pages about nothing though, so that's cool.  I did learn about One Eyed Bastard here, while finding it entirely on my own, so that was tres cool.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BratReject23 said:

I would like to have your optimism, you have said that since early last year and nothing happens but you still there. One of these days, dude!

Yeah but now we have an idea when it’s coming out. That article about Rob Cavallo says it’s “due out in 2024”. I see no reason they would delay it any further at this point. I think another September single-February album is plausible because I think a lot of artists nowadays are putting out their first singles early, am I right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pcj said:

Think about it @GDFan2019, the whole purpose of a pre-album single release is to sell of course, but to promote and guage interest in the forthcoming album. 

The single will get radio airtime, adding to that interest, with fans looking forward to the album coming out soon.

Fans will be falling over themselves to get to record store and grab the album, like first day of January sales. lol. Especially if the single is number 1 in the charts. And of course the record company will be rubbing their hands. So imho 2 to 3 weeks maximum before album.

But 5- months, come on man. By the time the albums comes out, everyone will have forgotten about the single. And all the hype will be missing. Could be the case of asking why a 5-month old song is on the new album, is it a filler? I think the record company will be well pissed of as well.

I'm sorry @GDFan2019,  I can't see it happening myself. It's just not financially viable surely.

I guess the 5 month thing was just to promote Hella Mega. The whole promotion behind FOAM and Hella Mega was so weird!!! This was before Covid even happened too!!! It was September 2019 and they announced the tour would start the following summer and I remember thinking, why are they announcing it now then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcj said:

It that were to happen, that's 5-months before the album release. That's never happened before in 30+ years. 2-months is the longest time between 1st single & album.

u know that father of all came out in September and the album in February? are u on crack?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, pcj said:

Think about it @GDFan2019, the whole purpose of a pre-album single release is to sell of course, but to promote and guage interest in the forthcoming album. 

The single will get radio airtime, adding to that interest, with fans looking forward to the album coming out soon.

Fans will be falling over themselves to get to record store and grab the album, like first day of January sales. lol. Especially if the single is number 1 in the charts. And of course the record company will be rubbing their hands. So imho 2 to 3 weeks maximum before album.

But 5- months, come on man. By the time the albums comes out, everyone will have forgotten about the single. And all the hype will be missing. Could be the case of asking why a 5-month old song is on the new album, is it a filler? I think the record company will be well pissed of as well.

I'm sorry @GDFan2019,  I can't see it happening myself. It's just not financially viable surely.

Muse, The Killers, Paramore and Blink 182 are all bands that have released a single long before the album was released. Muse are on the same label as Green Day and will of the people was announced 5 months before it’s release with a single coming out 7 months before it’s release. The killers announced Imploding the Mirage 5 months before release. As much as I don’t want it to happen, I wouldn’t be shocked to see another 5 month release window. 

@GDFan2019 I'm just curious, at what point are you going to stop expecting a single within the next 2 months every time you make a prediction? You've literally been wrong every time and @Sanity Loan or someone else is always there to say "It's not going to release until later". Like, all we know about the album at this point is it should be coming in 2024. Why would that lead you to believe a September single release? Is it literally just wishful thinking because you'd rather have the single sooner than later?

9 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

@GDFan2019 I'm just curious, at what point are you going to stop expecting a single within the next 2 months every time you make a prediction? You've literally been wrong every time and @Sanity Loan or someone else is always there to say "It's not going to release until later". Like, all we know about the album at this point is it should be coming in 2024. Why would that lead you to believe a September single release? Is it literally just wishful thinking because you'd rather have the single sooner than later?

I think that article with Rob said early 2024? Someone correct me if I’m wrong. If that is what it said that might lead some to believe that could lead to a February release like FOAM and then perhaps that would lead to a similar release cycle with an announcement and single sometime in September. Personally I hope that’s not what happens, but it certainly is a possibility. 

3 minutes ago, Cunt said:

I think that article with Rob said early 2024? Someone correct me if I’m wrong. If that is what it said that might lead some to believe that could lead to a February release like FOAM and then perhaps that would lead to a similar release cycle with an announcement and single sometime in September. Personally I hope that’s not what happens, but it certainly is a possibility. 

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/media/rob-cavallo-captures-big-studio-sound-with-big-six

"Due out early next year"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cunt said:

It's definitely possible. It was also possible every other time a prediction has been made. But the only reason FOAMF had a 5 month gap between single and album is cause of Hella Mega tour. Unless we're getting a similar kind of tour this time around, I don't really see a 5 month gap happening this time and even if there was a 4-5 month gap between the single and album, the album could still release in early 2024 If the album releases in April or May. Like, I just don't get why you'd expect a single by end of September unless you just wanted to disappoint yourself

• Like 2

Insiders,

Can you let us know when we are within 1000 hours of an announcement?   That's 41 days.  Thanks.

Green Day are not The Network.   

36 minutes ago, amsterdamn said:

While I'm waiting, the clock's laughing in my face

My mouth is dry, my face is numb

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reverend Strychnine Twitch said:

My mouth is dry, my face is numb

Fucked up and spun out in my room!!! On my own, here we go!!!!!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Radiation Fear said:

Hey guys! 👋 just checking in after my workshop with CLA! He said the album is done (obviously as we all know) and he seemed excited about it! 
His class was worth it for the GD stories alone 🤗 (did you know the acoustic in 21 guns is from him?) 

he also whipped out the raw tracks of holiday/blvd and played around with the mixes.

but yeah, have a good feeling about this one.

That’s so cool! Did he mention anything about release dates?

• Like 1