1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

4 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Starting to think this side project thing is really the PHGP. 
Cometbus is in town. Maybe Jason White lied about them being back in a few years. It's probably closer.

Omg Cometbus is in town? Where did you see that?

• Like 1

But… I thought we knew Billie, Mike and Tre were involved in whatever’s coming and Mike and Tre have never had involvement with PHGP or is the timeline so confused now that they are only involved in the new GD album?

• Like 4

Just now, jengd said:

But… I thought we knew Billie, Mike and Tre were involved in whatever’s coming and Mike and Tre have never had involvement with PHGP or is the timeline so confused now that they are only involved in the new GD album?

there was never a confirmation that the three were involved. It was just a guess based on Mike's pick tagged on that studio Instagram stories

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clockwise said:

I hope it's a brand new side-project coming soon. But of course I'm stoked for Pinhead, I just can't see that coming out anytime soon if they're currently writing.

Assuming PHGP are writing the normal 3 chord, two minute songs, and not striving for 21st Century Breakdown levels of creativity, I can’t see the writing process taking too terribly long, especially if they’ve been doing it collaboratively over the past several months. 

PHGP normally hashes out a project in the studio in a couple of weeks; rarely does the entire recording process take any longer than that (source: https://dyingscene.com/ds-exclusive-jason-white-on-reissuing-pinhead-gunpowders-catalog-on-1-2-3-4-go-records-and-whats-coming-next/). Just speculation here, but I think Jason’s recent comments regarding new material “within the next few years” were a means to either dampen fans’ immediate expectations and/or maintain the surprise. If Aaron is indeed in the Bay, maybe they’ll put out an EP and play a few shows over the fall or winter, which would bridge the gap nicely to an expected 2024 Green Day release.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Correct, and was in fact an incorrect assumption 

yeah, and that is a good thing, because Billie's side projects are always the best ones.

If it's not FBHT, than Longshot or PHGP would be the best stuff that we could get right now

• Like 1

The question is when this side project stuff comes out.

• Like 2

Also the latest song on that oakland coffee playlist is called “hello hello I’m back again”

• Surprised 7

Maybe it's not gonna be called 1972 but it's still look like it's gonna be something about their life/career.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

I can't argue with anyone that interprets that as a hint.

What does this mean exactly? It's a yeah or nope? 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2023 at 9:44 AM, AnonymWarnerGermany said:

Do not share or ask for a copy of the leaked album.

Leaked album, huh?

3 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CumuXqgsrP-/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Looks like Billie is bringing back his Oakland Coffee playlists!!! Didn’t he do this shortly before the FOAM single came out?

Don’t read into that.

28 minutes ago, nflsbest26 said:

More than likely celebrating the release of American Idiot as a single. Don’t read into that.

• Like 2
  • Surprised 2

5 minutes ago, Jhonib said:

What does this mean exactly? It's a yeah or nope? 😅

I honestly don’t know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 420thedoctor69 said:

Leaked album, huh?

Don’t read into that.

More than likely celebrating the release of American Idiot as a single. Don’t read into that.

But why celebrate that now? Next year is the 20th anniversary, not this year!

20 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

19 years is still an anniversary 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

The band's probably not going to be very active until 2024 with the new album and anniversaries for Dookie & American Idiot. They're probably just getting ready for all that and releasing these shorts to get us prepared and excited

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, 420thedoctor69 said:

19 years is still an anniversary 

Yeah but not a milestone, those are special!!!

2 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Yeah but not a milestone, those are special!!!

Remind me of what the did for Dookie 10 years, 20 years and 25 years besides play the full album a couple times lol

6 minutes ago, 420thedoctor69 said:

Remind me of what the did for Dookie 10 years, 20 years and 25 years besides play the full album a couple times lol

Although Dookie was and continues to be their best selling album (from what I've heard?), American Idiot is the album with the most impact on pop culture and their most recognizable. I could see them (or the record company) pushing the album back fo a 20th anniversary kind of a thing. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sanity Loan said:

You mean Trè?

No, I thought about that.   It would be cool if John came back and they kind of became a self governing unit again with the old school lineup.    But no.   I want my favorite member of the band to leave for some reason.   Maybe Mike could take some time and put together his own musical project of some kind.     Billie and Tre soldier on.    Jason White could temporarily play bass until someone else is found.    Sean Hughes perhaps?  That might be the best option to sooth over the angry mob once Mike is  gone.  

I feel like it’s just archive footage like they occasionally post.

• Like 4

I'm sure there are more big releases yet to be announced, but 2023's music release schedule currently looks bleak.   Blink-182 is about the only sure fire one that will be good.     Other than that, a handful of albums by rock bands that are very hit or miss.     

And Blink-182 are in funky-limbo-what the heck is happening 1972 land just like Green Day, so I dunno.    I might be depending on the likes of Staind and Puddle of Mudd way more than I'm comfortable with, haha! 

(There are some 2024 albums listed online now, but nothing worth noting here)