1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

On 6/29/2023 at 6:46 AM, That Dude said:

Was your dream set in present day or the future, though?   

Unclear. Could be underlying mental health problems.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BratReject23 said:

The fact that they are bringing even more music as a side project band with a early next year new album under their sleeves is what intrigues me a lot and gets me excited at the same time. My only complain about everything is the early teasing for whatever 1972 is/was. 

IKR? We've been waiting since December 2021!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

I've been waiting a lifetime

For this moment to come I'm destined for anything at all!!!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BratReject23 said:

The fact that they are bringing even more music as a side project band with a early next year new album under their sleeves is what intrigues me a lot and gets me excited at the same time. My only complain about everything is the early teasing for whatever 1972 is/was. 

Maybe putting the 1972 teasers out there was a mistake and the band are sorry. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Green Day is a legacy band. Sad.

Sad but true. So many anniversary releases of old albums. Watch this upcoming one just be a 20th anniversary deluxe  album release of American idiot smh 

gets frustrating checking this thread every day in hopes of news 

Edited by nflsbest26
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Mercy or merch?

Sorry mercy. I got an email from the company but im unsure how to post a picture on the forum. I’m a bad millennial horrible with technology 

Dammit met merch….hopefully the free be members get is a single or song of some kind 

• Confused 1

What if... they release the initial 1972 songs before Rob Cavallo came in as the new side project?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sanity Loan said:

Correct. Please everyone stop the off-topic conversation. There are dedicated threads to talk about these things. If there isn't one that fits and it isn't related to new music, please use the "Random Green Day news" thread.

Let me say as someone that usually holds off posting in this thread and only checks in on irregular intervals, that whilst I agree with the sentiment, as entitled as it sounds for a fan like me to say, I think the band (and/or management) is also responsible, through that they have been consistently starving this thread of any oxygen for over a year, so the fact that things keep veering off topic becomes pretty much inevitable. I mean, there is literally nothing to discuss. Honestly, even the occasional album-related insta post or teaser for the hyperfans would in my opinion be enough to shut up most of the meaningless or baseless triangulation. 

As a result, my relationship with this thread for over a year now has been like to a toxic ex or addictive substance. I keep coming back for more, even though I know it will leave me feeling unfulfilled and miserable. Bring back the days when we were analysing the back of people's heads goddamnit! 

Green Day, this is my urgent plea to you: help make the 1972 speculation thread great again! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Flashback said:

What if... they release the initial 1972 songs before Rob Cavallo came in as the new side project?

Are we absolutely sure he wasn’t there for the first RAK sessions?

• Like 1

Billy Idol is fronting what is essentially the Sex Pistols in Generation Sex.  

Since Johnny Rotten hates Green Day, I think it would be the ultimate Punk rock move to put Billie Joe in the actual Sex Pistols band and make a smash hit record with them.

This could be the secret side project album....Billie Joe now fronting the two biggest punk bands because one wasn't enough.     Sex Pistols return, it's great.     Saviors is their album.

Born in 1972, Raised In Hell is the next Green Day record, coming in 2024.

Maybe this would have ripples through the world.  Butterfly effect.  The Network would reveal they were the Sex Pistols all along.  And some guys from Devo.  

The Foxboro Hot Tubs would reveal they aren't related to Green Day in any way, but are also...The Network. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, That Dude said:

Billy Idol is fronting what is essentially the Sex Pistols in Generation Sex.  

Since Johnny Rotten hates Green Day, I think it would be the ultimate Punk rock move to put Billie Joe in the actual Sex Pistols band and make a smash hit record with them.

This could be the secret side project album....Billie Joe now fronting the two biggest punk bands because one wasn't enough.     Sex Pistols return, it's great.     Saviors is their album.

Born in 1972, Raised In Hell is the next Green Day record, coming in 2024.

Maybe this would have ripples through the world.  Butterfly effect.  The Network would reveal they were the Sex Pistols all along.  And some guys from Devo.  

The Foxboro Hot Tubs would reveal they aren't related to Green Day in any way, but are also...The Network. 

I love your imagination.

• Like 1

Could Green Day release a side project album and their own album at the same time and tour with themselves?    Sure, the trilogy didn't work, but two at once under two different names might be the trick.  You gotta hold on to yourself.   Saviors open for Green Day?   Maybe they are doing like MCR....an album by the fictional band within the 1972 album.   That is actually realistic....to me.  

Mama, ooh ooh ooh.  I don't wanna die.  Sometimes wish I had never been born at all. 

• Love 1

We have the 2 shows coming this month, the Harley Davidson show and the Quebec City show, then nothing until the end of September. So I really think we’ll have a single within that time. Rob Cavallo says the album is coming early 2024 while Billie originally said 2023, but he never said early or late, so maybe the plan was always originally going to be late 2023. A delay by a few months would then make it at least a February 2024 release

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

We have the 2 shows coming this month, the Harley Davidson show and the Quebec City show, then nothing until the end of September. So I really think we’ll have a single within that time. Rob Cavallo says the album is coming early 2024 while Billie originally said 2023, but he never said early or late, so maybe the plan was always originally going to be late 2023. A delay by a few months would then make it at least a February 2024 release

Maybe the album was going to be near the end of 2023, but there was a delay in vinyl production.  Like Shinedown, they wanted everyone to enjoy the album at the same time so they rescheduled for that reason alone. 

April 22nd release to July 1st.   

2 months, 10 days or so.

• Like 1

By the way, who ended up being the "Secret Surprise Band" at the Golden Bull last night?

• Like 1

Weezer, Fall Out Boy and now Guns N Roses have revamped their set lists in big ways.  Even alternating songs each night.  Playing stuff from even their hated albums, deep cuts, rarities.    And Guns N Roses are the definition of a legacy act.    Green Day need to really alter the course of their live show.  As good or perfect as it may be, gosh darn it.    Fire on a different cylinder, man.

• Like 4