1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

4 hours ago, Sheenius said:

The thing about the trilogy was that you had 3 albums, a lot of material and a feeling like you had your favourite band back without all the posers who liked them during AI and 21cb.

I liked them going back to basics with a bit of a new spin. The thing is the actual progressive parts of the trilogy weren’t bad at all. It was nice to hear Mike’s bass playing more than just the root while still covering new ground.

The issue was the back to basics moments weren’t their best and there is a lack of cohesiveness mixed in with some weird moments (like nightlife). The production didn’t help. It made the albums sound choppy. This production ruined a song like The Forgotten. The piano sound is terrible especially next to the sound you heard on 21cb just a few years before.

I dont agree 

i think the two main problems of the trilogy were the promotion and the amount of songs.

the promotion was cut because of Billie’s health so they could not goodly promote their work 

and there were too many songs, it would be better if they released only one album with 18 songs. Considering the lack of promotion, it would be more understandable for peoples. 

But imo the production was a good choice and a great direction for them. 
Trilogy is in my top 5 Green Day album. 

• Like 4

I love the trilogy, and don't think one album would have worked.   Maybe a double that came packaged together?  I tried making a double album version, but even that is tough.   

• Like 2

22 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

And a new NHL on NBC theme song. I would also love to see them dominate the Grammys again!!!

The NHL is not on NBC anymore and hasn't been for the last 2 years...

15 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I think if they just could have promoted Uno as the album, released Tre as a bonus disc of outtakes for a deluxe package and released Dos at a later date as a FBHT second album that might have been the way to go.

Maybe so. Hindsight. If only we could turn the clock back, how many times have we wished we could go back and change things. Maybe GD would've liked to go back and change Trilogy like you suggest. But at that time, it was right for them. Overall, I'm happy how it turned out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CtvH0z5PrZj/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

Imo Dos is a good album and i dont think it had to be released with Foxboro 

moreover I never understood why Nightlife was so hated. I think it’s a good song and one of my favorite. Everytime my friends, who don’t really listen to Green Day, are listening to it they like it. 

I think Dos is a good garage rock album and for me, it has contributed to make Green Day more accessible to a larger audience 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I think if they just could have promoted Uno as the album, released Tre as a bonus disc of outtakes for a deluxe package and released Dos at a later date as a FBHT second album that might have been the way to go.

Oh, you're right, Dos being released as a Tubbies record would have been perfect!  Then nobody would have been overwhelmed with too much Green Day, and for me, I can craft the perfect Trilogy album, now called !8th Avenue Serenade! A concept record about going through a bunch of relationships, haha.  

1.      Oh Love 

2.      X-Kid

3.      Missing You

4.      Loss of Control

5.      8th Avenue Serenade

6.      Sex Drugs Violence 

7.      Stay the Night

8.      Troublemaker

9.      Dirty Rotten Bastards

10.  Walk Away

11.  Brutal Love 

12.  Kill the DJ

13.  Fell For You

14.  Sweet 16

15.  Rusty James

16.  The Forgotten

How'd we get deep into Trilogy talk in 2023?   WIll 1972 feature any kind of lyrical or musical reference to the Trilogy?   Just because they ignore on tour doesn't mean they don't think about those records in the studio.  It was 50 something songs.    Maybe something from those sessions has been revisited, reworked to give it a few more firing cylinders.    

• Like 1

I wish they left Crush Management that marketing company sucks they have no idea what they are doing 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Harry said:

Hahaha, what was the one chord song? I wanna watch that back.

EDIT: Wait, never mind, I now realise you’re talking about the Maher show theme tune.

I mean Oh Yeah. They played the song multiple times on television and Billie just played the one chord during the sampled part 😅

• Like 2

For me, the best era of Billie's voice was in the Trilogy, especially the album Uno. I'm currently listening to Carpe Diem, and his voice is flawless.

I might even learn how to use those AI voice generation websites to create a song based on that period 😅

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

What occurrence of talking about the Trilogy in this thread is this? The fourth? All discussions seem to somehow circle back to that and the same stuff is repeated.

Dude, create a forum just for yourself, so you can talk about whatever you want and the topics you want. Or close this thread here and include only the people and specific subjects you want

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, redline punk said:

Dude, create a forum just for yourself, so you can talk about whatever you want and the topics you want. Or close this thread here and include only the people and specific subjects you want

To be fair, we can say the same for the trilogy, we already have talked a hundred of times about it, not just in its own tread but in other threads as well 😂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sanity Loan said:

What occurrence of talking about the Trilogy in this thread is this? The fourth? All discussions seem to somehow circle back to that and the same stuff is repeated.

Whilst waiting for any further updates on the new album, and the speculation on a single, the discussion is bound to drift, especially when talking about comparisons. 

I think we where talking about promotion of releases, and what to expect/hope will happen with new album. It started comparing with FOAM, and then drifted on to Trilogy. 

@Sheenius gave an excellent viewpoint on the Trilogy's production and resulting sound. Some points I hadn't realised before. 

I've even learnt more about Billie Joe's singing techniques and tips on guitar playing. Hardly on topic. 

Imho, I think it adds character to the thread. If you removed all the pages that are off topic, I wonder how many pages will be left.

• Like 2

How many ballads are we thinking?  1, 2, more? I think 1.

Will there be any wild experimentation or no?  I think there will be one song that is zany. 

Cursing?  I'm thinking 12 curses.  

Mike lead vocals, saxophone, bow guitars? 

Detailed bass bassing?

• Like 1

I hope the new album has wild bass solos like the one on Dirty Rotten Bastards!!!

6 hours ago, Sanity Loan said:

6 hours ago, BratReject23 said:

To be fair, we can say the same for the trilogy, we already have talked a hundred of times about it, not just in its own tread but in other threads as well 😂

4 hours ago, pcj said:

Whilst waiting for any further updates on the new album, and the speculation on a single, the discussion is bound to drift, especially when talking about comparisons. 

I think we where talking about promotion of releases, and what to expect/hope will happen with new album. It started comparing with FOAM, and then drifted on to Trilogy. 

@Sheenius gave an excellent viewpoint on the Trilogy's production and resulting sound. Some points I hadn't realised before. 

I've even learnt more about Billie Joe's singing techniques and tips on guitar playing. Hardly on topic. 

Imho, I think it adds character to the thread. If you removed all the pages that are off topic, I wonder how many pages will be left.

This is also our longest album speculation thread since it all started at the end of 2021!!!!

• Like 2