1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

4 hours ago, pcj said:

imho, I think your being a tad pessimistic. Back in January at Innings Festival, Billie Joe said we'll be back next year. Rob Cavallo confirmed this by saying the new album will be released early next year. That's early not late as you suggest. We already know on here that the album is finished. So, for me that's Jan/Feb for new album and start of US/World tour. I'm drooling already.

As for anniversary celebration, Dookie 30th & AI 20th. Well in the past it's only been for 25th, for Dookie, Insomniac & Nimrod in various forms to celebrate. Although, having said that, back on April 19th they celebrated the 33rd anniversary of 39/Smooth by issuing the never seen before video of a live performance 'Paper Lantern' in an Oakland backyard just before the album release, March 25, 1990. Released on IG. Awesome.

What would be really really special to celebrate next year, especially for the fans, is a 'Bullet In A Bible 2'. Say next fall/autumn. A CD/DVD, of a full live show of the new album. Uncut this time, from start to finish. Especially for the fans that can't get to see them live for whatever reason. Maybe for that show, to include some Dookie/AI classics. That would be really cool. Dreamland, I know. But if you dream and wish long and hard enough, they sometimes come true.

And if they’re following the same schedule as FOAM, maybe a single in August/September?!?!?!?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

And if they’re following the same schedule as FOAM, maybe a single in August/September?!?!?!?

Exactly like FOAM would be a Tuesday, September 12th, 2023 single.   "********"

Then the as-yet-untitled album released on February 9th, 2024.    Nice! 

1 minute ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Idk why people want the same schedule as FOAM. Do you really want the album to release 5-6 months after the first single?

Because we'd be hearing something in less than 3 months versus if they go an American Idiot route and wait until a month before hand, which would put what this thread has rambled on about for 500 pages firmly and possibly well into, 2024. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Idk why people want the same schedule as FOAM. Do you really want the album to release 5-6 months after the first single?

But what would you prefer? Same schedule as FOAM or a September 2024 announcement with a November(2 months away) album release? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

33 minutes ago, BratReject23 said:

But what would you prefer? Same schedule as FOAM or a September 2024 announcement with a November(2 months away) album release? 

Or what if the single comes out in late October or early November, then the wait for a February album wouldn’t be as bad! Or another possibility is that, if it’s a longer album this time, let’s say 14-18 songs, maybe we’d get 2 pre-release singles!! 1 in September, the second in November!!!

Someone posted the cello clip by itself

• Like 2

Wonder when that “not Green Day” thing people on here were teasing will pop up.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Or what if the single comes out in late October or early November, then the wait for a February album wouldn’t be as bad! Or another possibility is that, if it’s a longer album this time, let’s say 14-18 songs, maybe we’d get 2 pre-release singles!! 1 in September, the second in November!!!

Jan - March are horrible months to release an album...

3 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't understand this either. That was the worst "marketing" scheme/timeline ever. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Wonder when that “not Green Day” thing people on here were teasing will pop up.

Before or after the album?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Before or after the album?

Sounded like before from what people said.

• Like 3

A Trilogy, but each album is under a different band name?    Green Day, Foxboro Hot Tubs......uh.   There aren't really any other side projects with all three Green Day members attached other than Rodeo Queens, and with Jesse's medical issues, that's not happening.   Maybe it's time for Billie, Mike and Tre to form a new band that's different than Green Day and Tubbies.   Something really wacky or crazy.   Maybe not even admit to it being them.   A band that doesn't appear in videos or do live performances, maybe.  Keep their faces hidden somehow.    You know how Green Day and the Network pretend to hate each other?  I hear Billie actually really loves their sound and is even a bit jealous of it.   I think if Green Day really tried, they could probably do something kind of like the Network and it would sound pretty good.    Throw some big rap features and I think it could even crossover into the mainstream pop charts.   And I'm sure Mongo and the Van would being willing to drop the faucet if Green Day wanted to.   We all know it's kind of a ruse for the rubes.   It's time to coffee and repent, make some songs for a-holes.   Do the Mutron Jam.  

2 hours ago, Squashie said:

Jan - March are horrible months to release an album...

I don't understand this either. That was the worst "marketing" scheme/timeline ever. 

Although Fall Out Boy just released their album, So Much (For) Stardust in March. With the first 2 singles in January, and the 3rd on the same day as the album. Maybe Green Day would follow a similar schedule to this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_Much_(for)_Stardust

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Although Fall Out Boy just released their album, So Much (For) Stardust in March. With the first 2 singles in January, and the 3rd on the same day as the album. Maybe Green Day would follow a similar schedule to this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_Much_(for)_Stardust

Yes!  Except Green Day should do 6 singles this time.     Maybe 8 or 9.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hope that the next singles have a proper promotion at least, full with tv and award performances. The band should be everywhere again.

But for now, I'll be good with the follow up for Love Is For Losers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alf said:

I hope that the next singles have a proper promotion at least, full with tv and award performances. The band should be everywhere again

And a new NHL on NBC theme song. I would also love to see them dominate the Grammys again!!!

• Like 1

I hope that Bill Maher theme whatever is on the new album.  Duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh 

Just remembered it for some reason. 

I know it's Wikipedia.   I know. 

But Wikipedia makes it sound as if whatever Green Day are recording now is separate from the 1972 RAK stuff.  

December 18th, Green Day put out a video with the caption "RAK Studios. London, England. Green Day. 1972"   We never get any official confirmation on what that means.  

Then in November of 2022, the band say they are recording for a new album coming in 2024.      Was the EP scrapped entirely so a full, cohesive album could be made?    What if 1972 is to the new album what Cigarettes and Valentines is to American Idiot?       Green Day made a six song EP.   They were going to put it out.   And then somebody said 'hey.  you know what? Screw six amazing songs.   Let's throw them in the trash and put out the record of our lives.   Or at least fire on a dozen cylinders out of 13."    And despite Tre Cool's screams of terror, Mike and Billie threw the masters out the window.   Straight into the hands of a wandering vagabond with amnesia.  

Hmm.    Or maybe we're getting a dirty christmas polka album THIS Christmas and despite the sound of it, it's actually a crazy good rock opera with some Polka and Christmas elements, but otherwise very punk-rocky.  

Or maybe they drop the new single as an EP with an album announcement

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flashback said:

The whole promotion of FOAM was so weird from start to finish. Beer pong with Post Malone. Billie as an extra of a rap music video. The sudden love for Billie Eilish that completely vanished a few weeks later. Playing a song on television in which Billie only plays one chord. Hopefully they don't repeat that. Nevertheless I liked the leopard print jackets...

Hahaha, what was the one chord song? I wanna watch that back.

EDIT: Wait, never mind, I now realise you’re talking about the Maher show theme tune.

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Hahaha, what was the one chord song? I wanna watch that back.

EDIT: Wait, never mind, I now realise you’re talking about the Maher show theme tune.

I think they're talking about Oh Yeah

• Like 4

Shazam can't detect One Eyed Bastard :( 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Shazam can't detect One Eyed Bastard :( 

Neither can Google.   It suggested Rocket by Def Leppard, Takeover by Zardonic and Microwaved by Pitchshifter.       Guess I'll go see how badly Green Day plagerized these bastards.   Or how badly these guys plagiarized P!nk.     I don't know how old these songs are, haha.