1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

49 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

They haven’t really done a metal inspired album yet and with the teasers and the Kiss cover and the Motley Crue song the Coverups just did and with Van Weezer something tells me they’re headed that way. This may be Green Day’s Maladroit.

Green day hasn't done a anything inspired album besides punk and alternative rock. And whatever FOAMF is. I wish but highly doubt they do anything besides that for 1972

4 minutes ago, pcj said:

Some interesting and relevant points so far. But from the teasers and past albums, imho I'm convinced the next album will follow on in the vain of RevRad, songs like Bang, Bang.

Whatever this song is going to be, it sounds heavy, if not heavier than Bang Bang!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Not sure about that. First, when you say they haven’t done anything inspired by besides three things, it kind of negates your argument. I would argue Insomniac was the most punk inspired, Warning was acoustic folk inspired, AI was The Who’s mod/progressive rock, 21CB classic rock, Trilogy was power pop, FOAM was garage and funk inspired, so they’ve done a lot of styles (and that’s not including the heavily inspired side projects). I would say a metal inspired album is something they have yet to do and could do really well.

I don't see the next album to be a completely different genre for the band. The last time the band did a completely original album with a completely different genre than they're used to was Stop Drop & Roll in 2008. Every album since then has been at least somewhat of a continuation of a previous sound. What makes you think this album is going to be a completely new sound or style for the band?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't see the next album to be a completely different genre for the band. The last time the band did a completely original album with a completely different genre than they're used to was Stop Drop & Roll in 2008. Every album since then has been at least somewhat of a continuation of a previous sound. What makes you think this album is going to be a completely new sound or style for the band?

I don’t know how you can say that. I don’t think any album was a continuation of their previous sound really. What was FOAM a continuation of?  RevRad? It was a departure, and from what we’ve heard the next album won’t be a continuation of FOAM, it will be something new for them in at least some regard, while still having Green Day signature elements like always.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don’t know how you can say that. I don’t think any album was a continuation of their previous sound really. What was FOAM a continuation of?  RevRad? It was a departure, and from what we’ve heard the next album won’t be a continuation of FOAM, it will be something new for them in at least some regard, while still having Green Day signature elements like always.

21CB > Continuation of American Idiot
Uno > The band themselves described this one as classic Green Day, if you disagree with their assertion you can still consider this a continuation of some songs off 21CB
Dos > Continuation of Stop Drop & Roll
Tré > The band themselves describe this one as epic, a sort of continuation of AI/21CB but most of the album is fairly standard GD songs that easily could've been placed on Uno
RR > Somewhat of a return to AI/21CB sound but with elements of the trilogy sound in there still
The Longshot > Continuation of the Foxboro and trilogy sound
FOAMF > Outside of a couple tracks, most of the songs on this album can be considered a continuation of Foxboro/Longshot/trilogy while Graffitia could be considered a RR or AI/21CB style track
Money Money 2020 Part II > Continuation of Money Money 2020 sound

Yes, it's true that each project has their own unique elements but a metal album would be a complete drastic shift unlike anything the band has done since at least Stop Drop & Roll and that's my opinion

I truly don't believe that FOAMF is all that different for GD outside of Oh Yeah and Junkies on a High. My issue with a lot of the album is just the quality of the songs rather than the genre or style of songs they're trying to make. FRA sounds just like a GD song but not a good one. MMOTR isn't very different for GD. Get rid of the falsetto from the title track and it's a Green Day sounding track (and would be a much better one without the falsettos imo). Side B is honestly quite typical of GD except JOAH which honestly to me sounds like a mix between Restless Heart Syndrome and Nightlife

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Green day hasn't done a anything inspired album besides punk and alternative rock. And whatever FOAMF is. I wish but highly doubt they do anything besides that for 1972

Well, they inspired a lot of bands/interprets like Good Charlotte, blink, fall out boy and even madonna and lady gaga plus many

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Insomniac90 said:

Well, they inspired a lot of bands/interprets like Good Charlotte, blink, fall out boy and even madonna and lady gaga plus many

Madonna?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Insomniac90 said:

Madonna?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Insomniac90 said:

Many?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Yeah I am with you on this.

Each album has it's own flavour and Kerplunk is the only album I can think of that feels like a genuine direct continuation of the album before it in my personal opinion (besides the Tre which could be considered a continuation of Uno and Dos, but really should just be considered a single 3 part experience). I don't necessarily think Green Day are going to go with a pure metal inspired sound this time based on the teasers (Sum 41's last couple of records are definitely more metal inspired than the 1972 stuff in the teasers), but I am definitely getting some thrash, surf rock and hard rock vibes here. Could they pull off something metal inspired though? Fuck yes. I think they'd absolutely kill it.

Whatever it ends up being, I'll bet on it offering something new while also offering something familiar, just like all the records that came before.

10 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Whatever this song is going to be, it sounds heavy, if not heavier than Bang Bang!!!

Yeah, nope. I don't think this is going to be heavier than Bang Bang, at least not in terms of a punk rock song. Who knows though? maybe the final mix will pack a punch, but it will be a different kind of heavy, more of a hard rock heavy than a punk rock heavy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Red said:

Yeah I am with you on this.

Each album has it's own flavour and Kerplunk is the only album I can think of that feels like a genuine direct continuation of the album before it in my personal opinion (besides the Tre which could be considered a continuation of Uno and Dos, but really should just be considered a single 3 part experience). I don't necessarily think Green Day are going to go with a pure metal inspired sound this time based on the teasers (Sum 41's last couple of records are definitely more metal inspired than the 1972 stuff in the teasers), but I am definitely getting some thrash, surf rock and hard rock vibes here. Could they pull off something metal inspired though? Fuck yes. I think they'd absolutely kill it.

Whatever it ends up being, I'll bet on it offering something new while also offering something familiar, just like all the records that came before.

Yeah, nope. I don't think this is going to be heavier than Bang Bang, at least not in terms of a punk rock song. Who knows, maybe the final mix will pack a punch, but it will be a different kind of heavy, more of a hard rock heavy than a punk rock heavy.

But we're hearing it from Billie's phone, not the song itself. It most definitely would sound louder and punchier if you were there standing right next to Billie.

12 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

But we're hearing it from Billie's phone, not the song itself. It most definitely would sound louder and punchier if you were there standing right next to Billie.

I get what you're saying but if you played me Bang Bang from a crappy mobile phone speaker I'd still think it was a heavier overall song.

This one's a bit more Foo Fighters (alternative/hard rock) kind of heavy than an aggressive Green Day (punk rock) kind of heavy. Different kinds of heavy, but Bang Bang is a much angrier sounding song for sure.

• Like 1

Bang Bang definitely my top 3 green day song.

That song alone puts 21stcbd and the trilogy to shame.

It was truly a comeback song

bang bang was sick! i still remember hearing it for the first time ever (shame it gave us wrong hopes for the rest of revrad, but its still a very solid lp!)

and tré with his leg brace doesnt look like he will be able to play a full set by the end of the month, i play drums, and both legs need to work, you need a lot of physical work in order to play the drums

• Like 2

Hearing a heavy sounding song like Bang Bang should not be an indication that we're getting a heavy album. Bang Bang was the heaviest song on RR and no other song was close to as heavy sounding

• Like 2

Guys, Green Day are a Country band now.

The album will be a 1970s Country classics and some deep cuts that Billie rocks out to.

Heavy metal, pssssh.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Insomniac90 said:

Fuck, why did I write Madonna? I was a little bit drunk last night 😂

Next time join me in the Cocktail Thread.

I'm here 24/7

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GuitarPunk94 said:

bang bang was sick! i still remember hearing it for the first time ever (shame it gave us wrong hopes for the rest of revrad, but its still a very solid lp!)

and tré with his leg brace doesnt look like he will be able to play a full set by the end of the month, i play drums, and both legs need to work, you need a lot of physical work in order to play the drums

He’s got twenty days to be ready for the Innings Festival 

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

He’s got twenty days to be ready for the Innings Festival 

I hope he addresses what happened

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

I hope he addresses what happened

They were struck by inspiration and are starting completely over again for the 5 time. 

2 hours ago, Insomniac90 said:

Fuck, why did I write Madonna? I was a little bit drunk last night 😂

If you Google Green Day and Madonna, there are some interesting results....but I don't know what she likes in terms of music. 

Does Madonna even listen to music?

1972 ain't coming out today.  I can feel it. 

2 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I'm here 24/7

I kicked in the doors over there, and I've just been standing there at the entrance ever since. 

4 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I'm here 24/7

„The worst hangover ever“ by the Offspring was my soundtrack today. Let me think about it till next weekend 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1