1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

Trying to remember discussion earlier last year in this topic that I need to clarify.

Wasn't there talk of three musicians/actors, that were going to make a docudrama of the band's early days as the project 1972?  Running separately to album 14?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pcj said:

Trying to remember discussion earlier last year in this topic that I need to clarify.

Wasn't there talk of three musicians/actors, that were going to make a docudrama of the band's early days as the project 1972?  Running separately to album 14?

There was talk of a project with Billie and Lee Kirk and photos of Billie and Tre with three young actors. We still don't know what it is for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mato said:

Whenever they decide to announce the album, I just hope they won't do the modern approach and do it 5 months before the release date, then release four singles in the meantime and pretty much ruin the whole fun spoiling the record. I hate that trend. A single a month or two before the record's out is more than enough.

I'll never forget when they announced 21st Century Breakdown at the Grammys in February '09, released Know Your Enemy, and pretty much every other information on the record we got were only bits from magazine interviews. We didn't even know the full final track list until later. It was so exciting and awesome. I want that.

Won’t happen. Streaming revenue benefits most from lots of singles before an album comes out. Brave new world

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mato said:

I'll never forget when they announced 21st Century Breakdown at the Grammys in February '09, released Know Your Enemy, and pretty much every other information on the record we got were only bits from magazine interviews. We didn't even know the full final track list until later. It was so exciting and awesome. I want that.

Is there a video of them announcing 21CB at the Grammys or something? I've heard that they announced it at the grammys but I've not seen any video of it

4 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Is there a video of them announcing 21CB at the Grammys or something? I've heard that they announced it at the grammys but I've not seen any video of it

It was just the announcer who mentioned they were ''currently completing their upcoming album 21st Century Breakdown'' while they were coming on stage to present Grammy for record of the year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mato said:

It was just the announcer who mentioned they were ''currently completing their upcoming album 21st Century Breakdown'' while they were coming on stage to present Grammy for record of the year.

Yep. And I think it was just earlier that day (or maybe a day or two prior) where GreenDay.com had been updated with some design elements and the KYE drum intro clip. Maybe the 21CB demo was out by this time too? I cannot remember.

5 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

Yep. And I think it was just earlier that day (or maybe a day or two prior) where GreenDay.com had been updated with some design elements and the KYE drum intro clip. Maybe the 21CB demo was out by this time too? I cannot remember.

Yeah, which actually had a totally different design, remember? - black and gray theme with some airplanes flying and the same band font logo as on American Idiot if I remember correctly. God I remember I was blown away with the sound of those drums..

Demo leaked somewhere in February, but I'm not sure if it was before or after the Grammys.

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Won’t happen. Streaming revenue benefits most from lots of singles before an album comes out. Brave new world

Oh for the time when a GD single included album song plus a number of live tracks. Those were the days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mato said:

Whenever they decide to announce the album, I just hope they won't do the modern approach and do it 5 months before the release date, then release four singles in the meantime and pretty much ruin the whole fun spoiling the record. I hate that trend. A single a month or two before the record's out is more than enough.

I remember that, it was descriptions of the first 6 songs, and by then, East Jesus Nowhere was still known as March of the Dogs!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

We are coming up on 3 years since Father of All.   

If the album doesn't come out in the next six months, this will be a longer wait than the average wait time between Green Day albums.    Let's give them the Rev Rad time frame, because they really bounced back with a great record following a rough time for the band.  They took 3 years and 9 months there.    So that leaves us looking at October 6th, 2023.   And the band loves October releases, so that is a good time frame.  

@GDfan2019, are you in agreement?  

If it's a Warning to American Idiot scenario, we could add 2 more months, giving us a December release, but that's kind of funky.    Don't want to bring out the Trlilogy-haters again, so best to avoid December.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, That Dude said:

We are coming up on 3 years since Father of All.   

If the album doesn't come out in the next six months, this will be a longer wait than the average wait time between Green Day albums.    Let's give them the Rev Rad time frame, because they really bounced back with a great record following a rough time for the band.  They took 3 years and 9 months there.    So that leaves us looking at October 6th, 2023.   And the band loves October releases, so that is a good time frame.  

@GDfan2019, are you in agreement?  

If it's a Warning to American Idiot scenario, we could add 2 more months, giving us a December release, but that's kind of funky.    Don't want to bring out the Trlilogy-haters again, so best to avoid December.  

I mean, October would be 2 years after the sessions started. I'm hoping for a May release, and summer tour

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I mean, October would be 2 years after the sessions started. I'm hoping for a May release, and summer tour

Yes please. I'm hoping they've moved on from that Jan 10 statement, that they are still in the middle of recording. And they are now at the end of recording.

• Like 2

How about some long song titles like Fall Out Boy?

That's a song title, not my question  😆 

Maybe some emoji titles. 

And then Flap Jack Mickey at the five and dime.

Ruckus.

3 hours ago, That Dude said:

How about some long song titles like Fall Out Boy?

That's a song title, not my question  😆 

Maybe some emoji titles. 

And then Flap Jack Mickey at the five and dime.

Ruckus.

I'm so glad the trend of extremely long song titles is over. Fall Out Boy and Panic were the biggest offenders.

• Like 3

They're still making posts promoting Nimrod, they have a festival this month I don't think they're ready to pivot to the next thing until after all that. Still betting on March. They have to be touring this summer.

• Like 4