1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

49 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

I don’t think so. Sounds more like a failed pitch correction and they were too rushed or lazy to fix it.

As someone who has never figured out how to properly utilize pitch correction on his vocals, I endorse this post

46 minutes ago, Flashback said:

I think a separate thread about production fails in Green Day songs would be very short, because at least their albums always sound great and are almost perfectly recorded and mixed.

48 minutes ago, michael1989 said:

This thread has evolved from "speculation about the new Green Day album" to "wtf is that sound at 1:56 in The Forgotten??"

We all need something to talk about to pass the time as we wait. But don’t worry guys, we’re in the year of the new album, so it’s only a matter of time before we hear the announcement!!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

*cough*21stcenturybreakdown*cough*

Don’t agree. American Idiot is levels above. I feel that 21cb, they felt so pressured to top that, that they chucked too many songs on it & because they were out of ideas they recycled old melodies - church on Sunday / static age. 

21 guns is another attempt at a BOBD.

east Jesus nowhere was another attempt at holiday. 

it’s a shame because there’s magic like BTL and see the light but American Idiot is miles ahead of 21cb because everything on it is so inspired and fresh.

• Like 4

I feel like Billie’s lyrics hit a peak during American Idiot that he’s never been able to capture since. He’s come close, but I feel like he really dried himself out with that album lyrically.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Westerberg89 said:

Don’t agree. American Idiot is levels above. I feel that 21cb, they felt so pressured to top that, that they chucked too many songs on it & because they were out of ideas they recycled old melodies - church on Sunday / static age. 

21 guns is another attempt at a BOBD.

east Jesus nowhere was another attempt at holiday. 

it’s a shame because there’s magic like BTL and see the light but American Idiot is miles ahead of 21cb because everything on it is so inspired and fresh.

I always thought "Restless Heart Syndrome' to be another attempt of BOBD

8 minutes ago, Alf said:

That too for sure.

21CB is probably more intricate, but AI has more Green Day style, emotion, and better lyrics. And just a more succinct and forceful product overall.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I just want one more good, angry song from Green Day

not Platypus or Let Yourself Go kind of angry, but more American Idiot/East Jesus Nowhere

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't see EJN as being similar to Holiday. The only thing I can think of as a notable similarity is having a bass/drum interlude in the middle of the track but that to me isn't enough to make that conclusion. 21 Guns is similar to BOBD but that alone isn't really enough to suggest 21CB is just a recycled album that takes from older albums. There are a ton of tracks on there that are very unique, different from everything that came before. Before the Lobotomy, Christian's Inferno, Peacemaker, the Viva la Glorias.

Those recycled melodies aren't really a big deal imo because otherwise the tracks are completely different from each other. Static Age uses the melody of Church on Sunday but if you disregard that fact, are these 2 songs similar in any other notable way? American Eulogy uses melody of Deadbeat Holiday but again, these are completely different songs in basically every other way, and I can't think of any other recycled melodies in the album

21CB definitely takes elements from AI, but that to me doesn't suggest laziness, lack of inspiration or ideas. I guess it just comes down to personal opinion and preferences. Do you think these elements came from being out of ideas, or do you think it's just a logical evolution of what they were doing on AI, call backs to some of their older songs (In an album that calls back to Song of the Century and the instrumental intro to the title track in American Eulogy and See the Light, it also doesn't really seem unreasonable for someone to believe those "recycled melodies" were also intentional). I mean, Billie has compared LNOE to some of the songs from their early EPs but despite the similarities, I think of LNOE as a completely different beast. I personally think every song on 21CB is at the very least a strong 8/10, that's definitely not unique to 21CB but considering it's an 18 track album, I think that makes for a very good album. This is also going to come down to personal opinion. Are those completely original tracks good enough to compare to the fresh, original ideas of AI or older albums? I think so

Absolutely. Every GD album is different from each other, and everyone's opinion will differ, that's cool.

I think there's always gonna be similarities between songs, all bands do that. I don't think it devalues GD and Billie Joe's writing. It's a progression, from album 1 to 13, each one getting better and better.

Could you say which is the best album between all 13 studio albums. Or would you need to split them into time periods of development?

I agree, AI is one awesome album. But imho for me nothing tops Dookie. Maybe living through it when it first came out has something to do with it?

1 hour ago, Zebahar said:

I just want one more good, angry song from Green Day

not Platypus or Let Yourself Go kind of angry, but more American Idiot/East Jesus Nowhere

What about another angry song like the Grouch? “The world owes me, so fuck you!”

• Like 1
  • Love 1

We need a tracklist to talk about.    We are going to end up with way more pages in this thread than the FOAM one.    What the heck.  

Nevermore 

Dreamcatcher

Lettebomb (Address Unknown) 

Bombastic Blinks

The Story of My Life 

Strumbo Dumbo

Are You Waiting For Me?

Pound Behind Trash

American Idiot Broadway musical is Just American Idiot produced in the style of 21stcbd..  i only wished they  added Billies vocals and it would've been perfect.. She's a rebel version is just so damn good

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't see EJN as being similar to Holiday. The only thing I can think of as a notable similarity is having a bass/drum interlude in the middle of the track but that to me isn't enough to make that conclusion. 21 Guns is similar to BOBD but that alone isn't really enough to suggest 21CB is just a recycled album that takes from older albums. There are a ton of tracks on there that are very unique, different from everything that came before. Before the Lobotomy, Christian's Inferno, Peacemaker, the Viva la Glorias.

Those recycled melodies aren't really a big deal imo because otherwise the tracks are completely different from each other. Static Age uses the melody of Church on Sunday but if you disregard that fact, are these 2 songs similar in any other notable way? American Eulogy uses melody of Deadbeat Holiday but again, these are completely different songs in basically every other way, and I can't think of any other recycled melodies in the album

21CB definitely takes elements from AI, but that to me doesn't suggest laziness, lack of inspiration or ideas. I guess it just comes down to personal opinion and preferences. Do you think these elements came from being out of ideas, or do you think it's just a logical evolution of what they were doing on AI, call backs to some of their older songs (In an album that calls back to Song of the Century and the instrumental intro to the title track in American Eulogy and See the Light, it also doesn't really seem unreasonable for someone to believe those "recycled melodies" were also intentional). I mean, Billie has compared LNOE to some of the songs from their early EPs but despite the similarities, I think of LNOE as a completely different beast. I personally think every song on 21CB is at the very least a strong 8/10, that's definitely not unique to 21CB but considering it's an 18 track album, I think that makes for a very good album. This is also going to come down to personal opinion. Are those completely original tracks good enough to compare to the fresh, original ideas of AI or older albums? I think so

You’ve made my point for me. There’s lots of recycled parts. The songs that have no recycled parts are the songs which I enjoy the most and that feel the most inspired. BTL. 21cb. Viva. Peacemaker. See the light. Etc etc. 

21 Guns is the exact same strumming pattern, exact same Rythm and exact same drum beat pattern as BOTB.

im not hating on it, I just feel the album has splashes of really cool, inspired parts and songs but then stuff that is just rehashed versions of old songs. 

It is what it is, American Idiot is light years ahead. There’s a reason they only really play KYE for years, up until Hella Mega when they added 21 guns due to it being a legacy tour and having to do songs that aren’t too rough on Billies voice.

14 hours ago, Alf said:

Yep, but darker.

16 hours ago, PleasedToMeetMe said:

I feel like Billie’s lyrics hit a peak during American Idiot that he’s never been able to capture since. He’s come close, but I feel like he really dried himself out with that album lyrically.

He’s fried his brain with drugs and alcohol at least to some extent.

• Sad 1

It's about time they embrace the wackiness and just name this album "Hey Oh!"

Slap a picture of Johnny Carson and/or Ed McMahon on the cover circa 1972 and boom. Pizza.

21st Century Breakdown is such a masterpiece. I would love to have every Green Day song rerecorded and remixed in the style of 21stCB 😍

(including all American Idiot songs, they sound so amazing on the album of the Musical)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Billie is waiting until we close this thread and then he will sing every single post  contained here as lyrics for the new album.

He's gonna be spitting fast and gosh darn we should have rhymed and been sad more.

• Haha 1