1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

1972 is leftover songs from Green Day carreer?

Or all new songs?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

1972 is leftover songs from Green Day carreer?

Or all new songs?

Every album has a leftover or two with these guys, or so it seems. 

I don't think they would tease b-sides, but if we get something like Shenanigans 2, that would be pretty Rev Rad.   Shenanigans could have been passed off as Green Day 7 and it would have worked well.   

I wish they did that, actually.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Not sure why people always bring up Dreamcatcher as a possible song for a new album. It's like 13 years old now at this point. If it wasn't gonna be on the trilogy or even RevRad, it's just not going to be released. Maybe if they end up doing another Shenanigans type album or something but not for a new studio album. Same with Cigarettes & Valentines, we already have the live version of that track, they won't re-record it

Wasn’t Walk Away from ¡TRÉ! originally a C&V track?

1 minute ago, GDFan2019 said:

Wasn’t Walk Away from ¡TRÉ! originally a C&V track?

The difference is people have already heard Dreamcatcher. It's been around since 2010. Nobody knew anything about Walk Away back in 03/04 except maybe the song title. If it was even the same song outside of the name isn't something we know

I don't see a Shenanigans 2 album coming anytime soon. New album will consist of new songs, although parts of some songs may be re-worked versions of some old unreleased songs which is natural. 

On the other hand, at this point my guess is we will have the new single and album aonnouncement in May, a 2nd single in August and album release in September. This is my approximate estimation on the timeline. Earlier the better of course 🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

We really need to let go of old, unreleased songs. There is a reason they weren't released, or even properly recorded.

There might be reasons but that doesn't mean they are good reasons. For instance, I'd take dreamcatcher being released over much of if not all of what we got on FOAMF

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

We really need to let go of old, unreleased songs. There is a reason they weren't released, or even properly recorded.

Well maybe, respect your view. But hay "You Irritate Me" which IMHO is amazing has been locked away all these years. I can't help fantasizing what other awesome '90's shit is still out there, and I crave for it. Sure, I want new stuff and I know GD will give it to us when they are good and ready. 

18 minutes ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

There might be reasons but that doesn't mean they are good reasons. For instance, I'd take dreamcatcher being released over much of if not all of what we got on FOAMF

Man, FOAM's taken a battering the last few days. But hay respect their views. But IMHO I love FOAM, and I don't give a shit! x 🤩

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The main reason these songs don't get released is that they don't fit the sound of the current album or project, but that doesn't mean they aren't great songs. When It's Time sat around for almost twenty years before seeing an official release.  Good Riddance had to wait a while too.  What these songs have in common with what we've heard of these fabled songs like Olivia, Minnesota Girl, Dreamcatcher, etc. is that they're all beautiful ballads that aren't typically "Green Day" in that you can't put more than one like that on an album. I suspect he writes a lot of songs like these that he doesn't know what to do with. A solo album of all these ballads and others that are likely out there would be something as amazing and interesting as the Foreverly album.  He has such a beautiful soft voice for ballads we don't get to hear it enough.

Yet he releases shit ballads like “The Forgotten” and “Ordinary World.” Maybe his taste isn’t accurate for ballads.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Yet he releases shit ballads like “The Forgotten” and “Ordinary World.” Maybe his taste isn’t accurate for ballads.

Interesting notice.  Both of those songs were written with a specific narrative related to the movies they went along with, not necessarily a personal narrative from Billie's own life experiences.  Maybe they were more of a miss because he does his best writing when it comes from his own narrative.  More authentic and heartfelt maybe?

What I will say about the next album, is that I respect this band so much for their ambition.  They continue to want to deliver an album that  pushes their artistic talents and that stretches the limits of genre as well as new musical boundaries.  I don't know if it will land or not, but I do think their intent is genuine in that regards.  That is what keeps me interested... whenever GD releases new material, there is always something there that resonates for me.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Not sure why people always bring up Dreamcatcher as a possible song for a new album. It's like 13 years old now at this point. If it wasn't gonna be on the trilogy or even RevRad, it's just not going to be released. Maybe if they end up doing another Shenanigans type album or something but not for a new studio album. Same with Cigarettes & Valentines, we already have the live version of that track, they won't re-record it

It's been re-written and is not called "Nightmare Thrower" 

Haha.  Shenanigans 2, bring it on!   

Right after American Idiot 2.  

55 minutes ago, Biddymc said:

Interesting notice.  Both of those songs were written with a specific narrative related to the movies they went along with, not necessarily a personal narrative from Billie's own life experiences.  Maybe they were more of a miss because he does his best writing when it comes from his own narrative.  More authentic and heartfelt maybe?

What I will say about the next album, is that I respect this band so much for their ambition.  They continue to want to deliver an album that  pushes their artistic talents and that stretches the limits of genre as well as new musical boundaries.  I don't know if it will land or not, but I do think their intent is genuine in that regards.  That is what keeps me interested... whenever GD releases new material, there is always something there that resonates for me.

actually, Billie stated in some interview that 'The Forgotten' wasn't written specifically for the movie, it just ended up on the soundtrack

• Like 2

Didn't "Ordinary World" and "The Forgotten" barely make the albums? From what I can remember, they were both late/questionable additions.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

Didn't "Ordinary World" and "The Forgotten" barely make the albums? From what I can remember, they were both late/questionable additions.

I’d heard that about Ordinary World but I’ve never heard that about The Forgotten

• Like 1

He wanted to end RevRad with Forever Now but added „Ordinary World“ in the last Minute

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

American Idiot 2023:

American Idiots

Street Gods

Party! 

Hangover Gang

Are We the Stupid - KNOWN.

Jillie Bow Legweak

Painkillers, Oh Yeah.

She Don't Like MGK.

She's Alright

All Alone In This World

At The Slimey End of the Sewer (Death Comforts Me)

Peddle Backwards

She Ain't. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Montclare said:

I doubt Dreamcatcher would be on a GD studio album, but still hope it makes it out there somehow, whether that be on a Shenanigans 2 or with another project like the Longshot. Devil's Kind wasn't on LIFL, but Billie still released it when fans kept asking for it. Dreamcatcher, Oh Girl, Minnesota Girl, and Olivia all belong on a Shenanigans 2.

Shenanigans 2 should be called Hijinx

11 minutes ago, Radiation Fear said:

Shenanigans 2 should be called Hijinx

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sanity Loan said:

Didn't "Ordinary World" and "The Forgotten" barely make the albums?

Damn - both would have been better without them. Whimper endings to otherwise good albums. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1