1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

On 12/29/2022 at 2:48 PM, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I agree but it doesn't sound like Green Day. That's my point. 

I don't even like FOAMF but it does sound like GD. You can argue it doesn't match the quality of the rest of Green Day's discography but songs like Fire Ready Aim, Meet Me on the Roof, Stab You in the Heart, Sugar Youth and Graffitia don't sound very different from what Green Day has released before FOAMF

Even songs that do sound somewhat different like the title track only sound different because of the falsettos, otherwise it just sounds like Green Day. And Junkies on a High to me basically sounds like a mix between Nightlife and Restless Heart Syndrome (a combination which shouldn't work but actually this song works better than most of the songs on the album imo)

On 12/29/2022 at 5:15 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

The most disappointing thing about it to me wasn’t the music but the super short running time after a four year wait for a new album. 

I don't agree with the "This album is too short" criticism. Making this album longer wouldn't have done it any favours. If tracks like Oh Yeah and I Was A Teenage Teenagers were considered acceptable for this album, I wouldn't want the outtakes to be on this album. I mean, Here Comes The Shock was probably a leftover from FOAMF, would you guys really want that song on the album? Would it have made the album better?

On 12/29/2022 at 7:28 PM, HAPPY FINKING UNICORN said:

What will follow are surely unpopular opinions, but the Trilogy IMHO has the worst lyrics in their discography (with a few exceptions in those 37 songs).  RevRad has also some of the worst and most boring lyrics of their career.
And in my opinion FOAM is above that in, even in its simpler lyric structure. Still nothing close to the pre-Trilogy eras, of course, but at least there was again quite a few fun sparkles that they mostly lacked for a while.

Then yes, I agree with @pacejunkie punk, BJ had a very different approach to lyrics in that record, and one can hate it, totally fair. And if I have to choose between Jesus of Suburbia and Graffitia, I pick JoS any time of course. 
But between the best and the worst lyrics of FOAM and those of RevRad/the Trilogy, in many cases I would still pick a FOAM song. Exceptions made of course, their best post 21CB lyrics are still in Bang Bang IMHO, forever now is close up there. 

Lyrically, FOAMF has some fine moments, most notably Junkies on a High and Graffitia (although I do find it odd that it sounds real happy when Billie sings about police brutality, more uplifting sound can accompany depressing lyrics but in this case it just doesn't fit well imo). The title track and Oh Yeah have some pretty interesting concepts too but otherwise, the album is lyrically pretty bland and has some real bad lyrics at points, just look at IWATT (I really really hate this song guys, I can't stress that enough)

Trilogy's lyrical quality is basically just due to the fact that it's a trilogy. Billie is clearly not able to write 37 lyrically great songs within 3 years, I don't think anyone could do that. But there's plenty of good lyrical content scattered throughout the trilogy or just songs that people don't really pay attention to lyrically but when you do, you actually start to appreciate the songs more. RevRad lyrically was ok but the fact that it was more of an AI/21CB style album means that there's an expectation there for the songs to be more meaningful. The political tracks are your more generic political revolution songs whereas AI/21CB political tracks had a lot more substance to them. Personal songs like Still Breathing, Somewhere Now, Forever Now stand out but other songs like Youngblood or Ordinary World seem a bit generic lyrically

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't agree with the "This album is too short" criticism. Making this album longer wouldn't have done it any favours. If tracks like Oh Yeah and I Was A Teenage Teenagers were considered acceptable for this album, I wouldn't want the outtakes to be on this album. I mean, Here Comes The Shock was probably a leftover from FOAMF, would you guys really want that song on the album? Would it have made the album better?

The Network's Art of the Deal With the Devil was cut from FOAM

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

10 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

The Network's Art of the Deal With the Devil was cut from FOAM

Yes. I think songs like this, Degenerate and Cancer Is the New Black would have added a lot to FOAM

• Like 3

On 12/29/2022 at 1:25 PM, Clockwise said:

There's no way this new album is half as good as FOAM. Sorry guys.

nonstop handclaps from front to back?   

Beatboxing? 

Every song is like 20 seconds long and there's only 80 of them.   

Falsetto as far as the eye can hear.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Yes. I think songs like this, Degenerate and Cancer Is the New Black would have added a lot to FOAM

Were these songs cut from FOAM because they were short on Network material or something?

6 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Great job on this too!!

Also, welcome back everyone!!! What happened last night? The website went down at around 7 PM my time on the east

Sorry to hear that. I was on the site until 11pm last night, but in UK. Not sure of time difference, but I think it's more that 4 hours. Glad your back anyway.

10 minutes ago, Penguin Puffball said:

I just want a tour date near Harrisburg, PA, plz&thx

Philly’s not too far (and the last tour went to Hershey which is even closer)

First song of the new album should start with drum, followed by Mike's bass ,then the guitar and finally Billies falsetto.

I hope the track is atleast 7 minutes long with non stop hand clapping from start to finish , with bille shouting "raise your hands up in the airrrrrrr" every 40 seconds 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Philly’s not too far (and the last tour went to Hershey which is even closer)

Yeah, I could always take the Amtrak to Philly. It's not so much a matter of getting there, it's more a matter of getting ahold of tickets. I never seem to have the money to pay for tickets for stuff. I swear to God though, it's happening this time!

• Like 1

Happy new year everyone!

On 12/30/2022 at 4:15 AM, pacejunkie punk said:

The most disappointing thing about it to me wasn’t the music but the super short running time after a four year wait for a new album. 

I didn't even realize that it was 4 years until you pointed it out.

Fuck, the older you get, the faster time really does go by...

On 12/30/2022 at 5:33 AM, Alf said:

and they wasted one good lyric releasing it as 'oh Yeah!'

I don't mind the band trying new sounds, we have plenty of good music where the band gets out of their confort zone, that was never a problem. But FOAM was a miss, not a hit. Warning, Idiot, 21st CB are all diverse records full of different aproaches that were on point and inspired.

You can love Father Of All, but it was by far their weakest try on a new sounding and mixing.

The solid and above average discography that GD has makes FOAM sound even worse

Completely agree.

On 12/30/2022 at 10:53 AM, That Dude said:

I'd say there were two or three with weak lyrics, but the rest was up to Green Day standards.

The three weaklings off this masterpiece:    Ready, Fire, Aim.  I literally forget it as soon as it's over.  WTF.   I'm not Justin Beiber.    Then there's the clunky I Was a Teenage Teenager Teenaging and yes, this one is kind of a dog salad of words.   Haha.

and finally is Stab You in the Heart, one of my most skipped Green Day tunes.   It's just not great at all.   But the rest is high art.   As good or better than American Idiot.  

Better than Idiot.

I hope that 1972 retains at least SOME of the FOAM magic.    

Funnily enough, RFA and SYITH are among the few songs on the album I actually really like and have on my playlist. 

13 hours ago, Sanity Loan said:

I recorded a cover of it too 🙂

That was a damn good cover dude!

1 hour ago, jengd said:

I find it funny that many people don’t seem to like Billie singing falsetto in Foam but seem ok with it for the Network!? 

To be fair, the falsetto in MM2020 pt2 was far better executed than in FOAMF

• Like 4

On 11/12/2022 at 2:58 AM, senti jamir said:

Green day probably isn't showing us any teasers because the album sucks donkey balls. Yeah i can feel it

Or… they’re in mix mode, so can’t really release teasers in studio otherwise you give too much up. Plus no one releases any album in December January, not great for promo time due to economy slump cos if Xmas … that’s the greatest hits market. Gearing up for summer tour. Nimrod reissue first to keep people talking. New single late February / March with album in late spring / summer. They recorded this album on and off inbetween tour commitments and family down time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Juliajk said:

I think we were just surprised by it in Foam.  

3 hours ago, Red said:

I didn't even realize that it was 4 years until you pointed it out.

Fuck, the older you get, the faster time really does go by...

I mean the gap between RR and FOAMF is closer to 3 years because RR was released later in 2016 and FOAMF was early in 2020 (title track was released in 2019, just under 3 years after RevRad album release

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliajk said:

IMHO I think Billie Joe performs the technique perfectly on both records, love them both. It requires him to purposefully create the airy, tinny sound by loosening his vocal cord closure. Demonstrating even further his amazing singing qualities. Nice one.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jengd said:

Re @Christian’s Inferno! comment about Graffitia sounding happy while having serious lyrics, Green Day are well known for that and recognise it themselves.  I think Foam sounds like Green Day, their stamp is all over it.  I find it funny that many people don’t seem to like Billie singing falsetto in Foam but seem ok with it for the Network!? 

5 hours ago, Juliajk said:

This exactly. It’s why I think Degenerate should have been on FOAM. Far superior falsetto that actually does channel a funky Prince vibe.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I mean the gap between RR and FOAMF is closer to 3 years because RR was released later in 2016 and FOAMF was early in 2020 (title track was released in 2019, just under 3 years after RevRad album release

Yes! If 1972 is released some time in the spring, the wait wouldn’t be that long at all! It would make it at least a 3 year, 3 month wait! I don’t think they’ll ever make us wait 4 to 5 years like the gap between AI and 21CB ever again. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Yes! If 1972 is released some time in the spring, the wait wouldn’t be that long at all! It would make it at least a 3 year, 3 month wait! I don’t think they’ll ever make us wait 4 to 5 years like the gap between AI and 21CB ever again. 

Not even with a Tubbies record to sooth our shallow hearts?

Why was Billie's heart shallow?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Not even with a Tubbies record to sooth our shallow hearts?

Why was Billie's heart shallow?

And some more one-off singles in between!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

And some more one-off singles in between!

I'm getting a bit greedy, but how about several EPs from each side project while we are on a 4 year break?

47 minutes ago, Im.a.basket.case said:

I don't think we'll get anymore teasers. I think the next time we hear anything about 1972 it will be an announcement of a new single/album.

I just think it'd be weird to drop teasers for this long to just start teasing us again...that'd be like getting the worst case of blue......I'll stop there.

If we get anything right before the announcement, it would just be cryptic posts and Instagram stories where they do that stare into the camera as if they’re saying, “We have something to tell you!”