1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

(reallly stupid theory ramblings redacted - it involved Alien Ant Farm and rapping)

I just hope there is at least one really weird track.   Like Nightlife or Misery or....Kill the DJ.   Christian's Inferno?   

What's the weirdest song Green Day have ever laid to tape?  

I can hear a crazed blend of Misery and Kill the DJ in my head, and I like that.    My main concern with 1972 is that it will somehow be basic or same-ish, even though Green Day have never done that.  

Do they want an "easy win"?    Do they need an easy win?   

Do they really not give a crap about what people think?   

1 hour ago, HAPPY FINKING UNICORN said:

There’s one problem with this and many theory/speculations I’m reading. They assume the band will compose and put out music based on some willingness to appeal to this or that part of the fandom, or as they say here to “try to unite their fans more”. 
In my opinion one constant that characterized GD throughout their career is that they do not give a fuck about fan service and putting out music based on what their fanbase might or might not want, for the good and for the bad. Thanks to this not giving a fuck about fan service, thanks to the fact that they just put out the music they like to write and play at a certain point of their career, we got some of their best records, and some of their most controversial ones. FOAM is a clear example of this, as Warning, as Dookie, as AI, as Nimrod, as the Trilogy.

This is why I find extremely ridiculous that someone still buy into the conspiracy theory of “FOAM was a joke record to piss off this or that”, and why I believe whatever the new record is gonna be is not gonna be that because BJ is thinking about what a teenager or a 40yo dude wants to listen in his bedroom. Even less to find a compromise between that. It’s gonna be what these three 50yo want to put out now. Bad or good we’ll see.
But they don’t give a fuck about mine or your desires. Just my opinion of course. And IMHO thank god they don’t give a fuck or we’d be listening to Kerplunk 14, or not because they would not exist anymore. 

Maybe not a joke record per se, but it's plausible that it was written and recorded to fulfill the contract. It's still a pretty damn good record!

4 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

But if you think about it, every record was recorded to fulfill a contract. It’s what a record deal is.

But they could fulfill the contract and simultaneously given us kerplunk 14!!!!!

10 hours ago, jengd said:

I couldn’t agree more with @HAPPY FINKING UNICORN, you may like it, you may not, but they will record the music they want to.  It’s how they stay true to themselves and it’s what makes them so interesting and why they are still together and recording.

But I seriously think we’re in for something EPIC!!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

But I seriously think we’re in for something EPIC!!!

I’ll be very happy if it’s epic, I just want it to good/enjoyable Green Day.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jengd said:

I’ll be very happy if it’s epic, I just want it to good/enjoyable Green Day.

I’d love to see them back on top with a VMA, AMA, and a Grammy!!!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I’d love to see them back on top with a VMA, AMA, and a Grammy!!!

Forget a Grammy, Im hoping they grab the top spot on TRL....maybe VH1's top 25, but that might be a Longshot

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/27/2022 at 5:15 PM, That Dude said:

(reallly stupid theory ramblings redacted - it involved Alien Ant Farm and rapping)

I just hope there is at least really weird track.   Like Nightlife or Misery or....Kill the DJ.   Christian's Inferno?   

What's the weirdest song Green Day have ever laid to tape?  

I can hear a crazed blend of Misery and Kill the DJ in my head, and I like that.    My main concern with 1972 is that it will somehow be basic or same-ish, even though Green Day have never done that.  

Do they want an "easy win"?    Do they need an easy win?   

Do they really not give a crap about what people think?   

wtf in this house we love and respect Misery 

from listening to interviews and stuff I do think Billie does care a lot about what fans think, but Mike and Tre tell him to ignore it and do what he/they want. I feel like all artists feel that way at least half of the time. My only hope for this album currently is that we hear more again soon. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dreamykatie said:

wtf in this house we love and respect Misery 

from listening to interviews and stuff I do think Billie does care a lot about what fans think, but Mike and Tre tell him to ignore it and do what he/they want. I feel like all artists feel that way at least half of the time. My only hope for this album currently is that we hear more again soon. 

I still think we're probably going to wait a few weeks after Nimrod to hear anything, but hey, I could be wrong. I'm hoping for a hint on New Year's Day.

2 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I still think we're probably going to wait a few weeks after Nimrod to hear anything, but hey, I could be wrong. I'm hoping for a hint on New Year's Day.

Here's hoping. But hey, you say you could be wrong? Never! We live by your every word. 😁

Okay real talk. I would prefer five FOAM-like albums in succession over one that just pays lip service to the fans.

The honesty and relatability of Billie's lyrics were a big reason I got into this band. He writes what he's feeling, never what he thinks people want to hear. And if he's feeling like stabbing you in the heart or whatever, so be it. The man is half a century old; it would be silly to expect anyone with that much life experience to be writing about the same things ad nauseum for 30+ years.

So, no- the next album won't sound like Kerplunk. It won't sound like AI or the trilogy or Squirrel Nut Zippers. Some of us will love it, some of us won't. But I can guarantee it will sound like Green Day.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

Okay real talk. I would prefer five FOAM-like albums in succession over one that just pays lip service to the fans.
So, no- the next album won't sound like Kerplunk. It won't sound like AI or the trilogy or Squirrel Nut Zippers. Some of us will love it, some of us won't. But I can guarantee it will sound like Green Day.

If it sound like Green Day then it can't be five FOAM-like albums in succession because FOAM is far from sounding like Green Day.

36 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

If it sound like Green Day then it can't be five FOAM-like albums in succession because FOAM is far from sounding like Green Day.

Yes, it can. Like it or not.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

Yes, it can. Like it or not.

I don't. 
FOAM sucks big ass.

23 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

I don't. 
FOAM sucks big ass.

That's cool man. I don't like it much either...but it's still a Green Day album

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

That's cool man. I don't like it much either...but it's still a Green Day album

I agree but it doesn't sound like Green Day. That's my point. 

36 minutes ago, pcj said:

Respect - you are very much entitled to that point.

It's made me think though, what should Green Day sound like? Can you pinpoint their sound when in fact they are very much diverse in their sound. 

From Kerplunk, to Dookie, to AI to FOAM, what's the similarity and what's the difference. You may think I need my head examining but I really like FOAM. IMHO it's just the next step in the Green Day journey, and for me the right journey. And as @localinsomniac quite rightly said, the lyrics go hand in hand with the music. Which over the years have been very emotional to me including FOAM.

Maybe stretching it at tad, for me The Network and Foxboro Hot Tubs is Green Day, coz they can do what the fuck they like, and that includes FOAM. And I love it all.

That's why, I'm virtually shaking with excitement waiting for their next album, mainly because I've not got a fuckin clue what to expect, or what's coming. All I know is, whatever the album will be like, it will be the Green Day I love so much.

I mean we kinda already have a general idea of the sound from what we heard so far in the teasers, plus this Instagram story that Billie accidentally posted

• Love 1