1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

1 hour ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Lol how long does this band usually sit on a finished album before releasing it? I understand not wanting to announce it or release it during tour but that's been over for months now and still not a word. 

Now I'm sure they're on a much needed break for the holidays, and they got the Nimrod rerelease coming at the end of January, so maybe we'd get 1972 news in early February? Last year, we got the first 1972 teaser just a week after the BBC album came out 

12 hours ago, Carnaggy said:

you’re crazy if you think this is coming out next fall. The album Is done and has been for atleast a few months. 

We're all crazy, you're all crazy now
Well, we're so crazy, you've all gone insane

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Lol how long does this band usually sit on a finished album before releasing it? I understand not wanting to announce it or release it during tour but that's been over for months now and still not a word. 

Seems like the time from completion of a record to it’s release has been longer with each album

Im thinking mid/late 2023?

- Album annnouncement and first single in March or so
- Second single in may/june, album release ate announced
- Final pre-release single in august/september
- Album comes out in October/November

14 minutes ago, Jirachi said:

Im thinking mid/late 2023?

- Album annnouncement and first single in March or so
- Second single in may/june, album release ate announced
- Final pre-release single in august/september
- Album comes out in October/November

They started recording in October 2021 and we got the first teaser in December. And since we saw CLA in that one teaser, the album is most likely done and ready to go. I really don't think they'll hold off on it that long. Again, I think, yes maybe the first single would be in March, but I'm thinking late April/mid May for the album

27 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Seems like the time from completion of a record to it’s release has been longer with each album

I read that FOAM was actually completed in September 2019, around the same time we got the single, and then we had to wait another 5 months for the album, which isn't really a long wait.

Even when albums are done earlier, im noticing a lot of bands do 2-3 singles before the album to generate hype, each 2ish months apart from one another/

• Like 1

Listening to Here Comes the Shock and Pollyanna a bit today, and I hope the new albums carries that energy but with an overall vibe/lyrical element of the latter. I just want a fun, upbeat record with a relatively positive message rather than the unbridled "fuck it" of HCTS. 😅

I really dig that song now, but after FOAM and the last few years, I think that energy would be better spent towards a record that's channelling that energy while having an optimistic outlook. Fuck everything, for sure, but... in a nice way.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Malleus said:

Listening to Here Comes the Shock and Pollyanna a bit today, and I hope the new albums carries that energy but with an overall vibe/lyrical element of the latter. I just want a fun, upbeat record with a relatively positive message rather than the unbridled "fuck it" of HCTS. 😅

I really dig that song now, but after FOAM and the last few years, I think that energy would be better spent towards a record that's channelling that energy while having an optimistic outlook. Fuck everything, for sure, but... in a nice way.

How about Holy Toledo?

In the teasers, they seem to be channeling American Idiot quite a bit

• Like 1

Just now, GDFan2019 said:

How about Holy Toledo?

In the teasers, they seem to be channeling American Idiot quite a bit

I forgot about that one, I haven't really listened to it much. I guess I feel like because it's used on a soundtrack it might not be totally representative of where the band wants to go next, so maybe that's why I forget about it lol. I'll listen to it again and post about it later. But that being said, I don't think these other two singles are super indicative of where they might be going/even related, so what does that matter lol

4 minutes ago, Malleus said:

I forgot about that one, I haven't really listened to it much. I guess I feel like because it's used on a soundtrack it might not be totally representative of where the band wants to go next, so maybe that's why I forget about it lol. I'll listen to it again and post about it later. But that being said, I don't think these other two singles are super indicative of where they might be going/even related, so what does that matter lol

Maybe 1972 will continue the positive message of Pollyanna

8 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Maybe 1972 will continue the positive message of Pollyanna

I think at this point in their career, it'd be nice to have something celebratory and optimistic. Maybe the fact they're referencing that year means they're reflecting more. A bit of a more chill, retrospective tone

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don’t think those few throwaway singles will be any indication of what the next album will sound like. Remember when Back in the USA came out and we thought it was a hint of their next thing? Then we got FOAM

This snippet that Billie posted in his Instagram story earlier this year and quickly deleted sounds very promising!! One comment even says, “Now THAT’S Green Day!!!”

7 hours ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Lol how long does this band usually sit on a finished album before releasing it?

Well, to be nominated for a Grammy, at least 75% of the album must have been recorded within 5 years before the release. So at least we can say that the album will be released before October 2026 😌

• Haha 1

Not to shit in anybody’s shoes and piss in their fireplace on Christmas morning but…..

Punk band Dead Cross had their album recorded , mastered and all of that and it still took nearly 12 months after that before it was released .

• Surprised 1

1 hour ago, cav9mm said:

Not to shit in anybody’s shoes and piss in their fireplace on Christmas morning but…..

Punk band Dead Cross had their album recorded , mastered and all of that and it still took nearly 12 months after that before it was released .

But considering that 1972 was being mixed last Spring we’re already nearly at  that 12 month period if the album comes out by May. That’s why I say Oct/Nov would be ridiculous 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

But considering that 1972 was being mixed last Spring we’re already nearly at  that 12 month period if the album comes out by May. That’s why I say Oct/Nov would be ridiculous 

Also that would be nearly 2 years after the first teaser!!!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

This snippet that Billie posted in his Instagram story earlier this year and quickly deleted sounds very promising!! One comment even says, “Now THAT’S Green Day!!!”

It was @That Dude

• Like 1

Today is 2 years, 9 months and 21 days from when FOAM dropped.

But we have to keep in the mind the wait between Idiot and Breakdown.   While it was filled with lots of Green Day adjacent stuff, it was still a painful 4 years, 7 months and 24 days.  

So let's say Green Day make us wait that long again.   1972 drops on October 1st, 2024.    Those of us not already driven mad would be mad by then.   Haha

We are past the average wait time of 2 years, 205 days, but that's okay.   Just have to beat that 2024 date, because by then we want to wrapping up Album 14 discussions and posting absolutely ridiculous and off topic stuff on the ALBUM 15 thread.   I mean totally on topic and realistic stuff.  

ALBUM 15!!!!!!   Will it be goofy?   Bluegrass meets Michael Jackson's Thriller?    Will Jillie Bow Legweak's voice get better as he near retirement age?   And are Mike and Tre once again getting fed up with his Shenanigans?    

Find out in the year MONEY MONEY 2030-something.  

Just look the time gap of muse, blink and paramore releases: muse dropped the first single on january 2022 and the album on august, blink 182 1st single on sep and the album on summer 23? And paramore single on sep album on feb 23. Sure, it’s a ridiculous time frame between single and album nowadays but it’s not crazy at all

29 minutes ago, BratReject23 said:

Just look the time gap of muse, blink and paramore releases: muse dropped the first single on january 2022 and the album on august, blink 182 1st single on sep and the album on summer 23? And paramore single on sep album on feb 23. Sure, it’s a ridiculous time frame between single and album nowadays but it’s not crazy at all

But I think now that Green Day’s off the Warner contract, they probably have more control over release schedules now, right?

19 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

But I think now that Green Day’s off the Warner contract, they probably have more control over release schedules now, right?

That was what they claimed but apart from a couple of subpar single drops we really haven’t seen evidence of a change

• Like 1