1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

2 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Must be because we’re still months away. Don’t the fake leaks start ramping up right before an actual announcement?

I could’ve sworn we were speculating for months about that Songs For Assholes leak because the guys also had that private SongsForAssholes account. Then of course Panicland used that fake tracklist to fool us with MOOTIK 😆. I swear we were talking about this that whole spring and summer because we didn’t hear about FOAM until September

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcj said:

Wow! 45 songs for 21cb and a similar amount for AI. I didn't know that. You guys on here never stop amazing me with your knowledge. So excuse my ignorance but how do you know that? So will we ever hear these songs, are they stored away for future release or are they in the trash? 

I'm not sure how accurate that number is. That number comes from an interview in October 2007 where Billie said in an interview that he had written "something like 45 songs". What about songs he wrote after that point? Like Murder City was a last minute addition to the album and "the one track on the album to be written after Obama’s election to the presidency", but that doesn't mean it was the only song they wrote after the election. And then there's all the possible songs that were written between October 2007 and the election in November 2008

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pcj said:

Wow! 45 songs for 21cb and a similar amount for AI. I didn't know that. You guys on here never stop amazing me with your knowledge. So excuse my ignorance but how do you know that? So will we ever hear these songs, are they stored away for future release or are they in the trash? 

For 21cb there was literally a magazine article where Billie mentions there was 45 songs written for 21cb. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact magazine or issue, it's literally been over 10 years at this point. I think it came out in late 2009. 

For AI/Post Warning era they literally had 20 other songs on C&V that they didn't release on AI. You're at 33 by default. Then there's songs that were in circulation at the time on the website I think there was 3 of them? 36 now. Of course there was a Network album as well. 

You do realize bands don't just write 10-20 songs and call it an album? They present many more songs than you ever get to hear on the album. It's like at work, your company works on 5 different projects but at any time they can scrap whichever one isn't working at that time etc

5 hours ago, Jankowski576 said:

He also got reeeeally skinny for FOA - don’t think there’s a correlation between weight loss and good music other than wanting to look good for promo stuff

Maybe there is no correlation but generally if you are physically healthier you're going to perform better at whatever it is you're doing. 

There are tons of business studies about people of higher weights being less successful than their physically smaller and more fit counterparts. One side argues it's discriminatory and that people favor "beautiful" people over them. The other side states exactly what I wrote above. 

100% of the time both sides agree that the less physically fit person is less successful. 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:12 PM, GDFan2019 said:

Plus they were recorded long before the 1972 sessions started. HCTS I think was a FOAM leftover, Pollyanna was released in May 2021, not sure when it was actually recorded, Same with Holy Toledo, released later that year

With technology where it is at in this day and age I wouldn't be surprised if they're at least consistently recording demos  and consistently recording high quality versions of songs. 

I think Billie was fairly honest in that FOAMF interview where he said they would probably do smaller more consistent releases. They haven't come in the form of EPs like he said but there has been consistent singles released as of late. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

For 21cb there was literally a magazine article where Billie mentions there was 45 songs written for 21cb. I'm sorry I don't remember the exact magazine or issue, it's literally been over 10 years at this point. I think it came out in late 2009. 

For AI/Post Warning era they literally had 20 other songs on C&V that they didn't release on AI. You're at 33 by default. Then there's songs that were in circulation at the time on the website I think there was 3 of them? 36 now. Of course there was a Network album as well. 

You do realize bands don't just write 10-20 songs and call it an album? They present many more songs than you ever get to hear on the album. It's like at work, your company works on 5 different projects but at any time they can scrap whichever one isn't working at that time etc

Maybe there is no correlation but generally if you are physically healthier you're going to perform better at whatever it is you're doing. 

There are tons of business studies about people of higher weights being less successful than their physically smaller and more fit counterparts. One side argues it's discriminatory and that people favor "beautiful" people over them. The other side states exactly what I wrote above. 

100% of the time both sides agree that the less physically fit person is less successful. 

With technology where it is at in this day and age I wouldn't be surprised if they're at least consistently recording demos  and consistently recording high quality versions of songs. 

I think Billie was fairly honest in that FOAMF interview where he said they would probably do smaller more consistent releases. They haven't come in the form of EPs like he said but there has been consistent singles released as of late. 

It was October 2007. https://web.archive.org/web/20090426084055/http://www.nme.com/news/greenday/31628

At the time they had written 45, between then and the album release I imagine there was quite a few other songs written (see my above post)

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

And they also released the Network album during that time. Also, keep in mind he said that before the pandemic hit, so I’m sure they would’ve gone into the studio a lot sooner if the pandemic never happened

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

1972 might be green days Abby road. If you know Beatles lore

FOAM being let it be of course 

You make it sound like Green Day would be breaking up after 1972. Or do you see 1972 going platinum?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

1972 might be green days Abby road. If you know Beatles lore

FOAM being let it be of course 

For your fantasy to work foam wouldve had to have  been shelved for over a year and released after 1972. Also its "abbey" road. Respect the abbey road .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheenius said:

Yes, of course, you are right.  Some songs written would be discarded from the final album track list.

I remember watching the video of the Trilogy. Billie Joe is sitting looking at a board split into 3, with cards attached each with a name of a track. He's holding one card trying to decide which of the 3 albums he should put it. As though every song coming out of his head had to be released?

6 hours ago, pcj said:

Yes, of course, you are right.  Some songs written would be discarded from the final album track list.

I remember watching the video of the Trilogy. Billie Joe is sitting looking at a board split into 3, with cards attached each with a name of a track. He's holding one card trying to decide which of the 3 albums he should put it. As though every song coming out of his head had to be released?

That scene wasn’t deciding which songs to release, it was just to determine track order. They narrowed down the songs first (cut from like 60 to 36 or so) and then the hard part was track order and which album each fit on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

That scene wasn’t deciding which songs to release, it was just to determine track order. They narrowed down the songs first (cut from like 60 to 36 or so) and then the hard part was track order and which album each fit on.

And from what I remember, I think there was an error with the original vinyl pressings that switched Stray Heart and Drama Queen. Maybe the guys accidentally submitted the wrong track order?

17 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

And from what I remember, I think there was an error with the original vinyl pressings that switched Stray Heart and Drama Queen. Maybe the guys accidentally submitted the wrong track order?

Now that said, I think in that scene in Cuatro they were still at the stage where they were cutting songs. There were a few more that got removed altogether in the process of ordering 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

at that point, did he say they had a concept worked out, the pre-party (Uno), the banger party (dos), and the aftermath (Tre). 🎉Cuz that's interesting if they wanted to mix up and rearrange the tracklist and still come out with the same solid concept. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jumpsalty said:

Why are we talking about someone’s body and weight in 2022 pls it’s irrelevant 

depends on context. In mine its completely relevant.

trying to shush people up about a topic they wish to discuss is a form of oppression. Its one that communist China has used for multiple eras. 

Communication is always better than no communication

19 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

It was October 2007. https://web.archive.org/web/20090426084055/http://www.nme.com/news/greenday/31628

At the time they had written 45, between then and the album release I imagine there was quite a few other songs written (see my above post)

Thanks for finding that.

• Haha 1

As quite rightly @Sheenius said previously there was always more songs written that would finally appear on an album. Therefore, many would be discarded which is common practice. 

It's happened throughout Billie Joe's songwriting career. And all bands do this. But so many songs trashed over the years. Is Billie Joe unique quantity wise?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pcj said:

As quite rightly @Sheenius said previously there was always more songs written that would finally appear on an album. Therefore, many would be discarded which is common practice. 

It's happened throughout Billie Joe's songwriting career. And all bands do this. But so many songs trashed over the years. Is Billie Joe unique quantity wise?

I wonder how many songs Green Day have written in total. 

600 maybe?

1000?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That Dude said:

600 maybe?

1000?

The next album will contain the 1972nd song they’ve ever written 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, That Dude said:

600 maybe?

1000?

Don’t know but Mike said once they had an attic full of songs….. not sure what that is in actual fact, possibly a gazillion 😂

35 minutes ago, jengd said:

Don’t know but Mike said once they had an attic full of songs….. not sure what that is in actual fact, possibly a gazillion 😂

How many songs fit in an attic?  

Okay, dude is on the case.  I'll figure out the average attic size, the average Green Day song size and we'll finally have an exact number!  

I bet Coffee and Repent, Songs For A-Holes, Cigerettes and Valentines and even a Christmas Polka album or three are up right now, smoking a fatty and chillin'. 

• Like 2