1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

4 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Well they were working on RevRad in secret before we actually knew they were doing anything, right? Idk how long they were working on it for but I don't think there's any evidence to suggest they put less time into that album than their others

I guess technically the trilogy era ended with the Demolicious release in 2014

I think the band were putting more time into their albums up to 21CB and with the trilogy there was still a lot of effort put into that but wasn't enough time to put the necessary amount of effort for all 37 tracks. RevRad could've probably done with a bit more time too but was still a fine album. FOAMF needed like another year tbh, either for the band to realize that some of the songs just shouldn't even be released and that some songs really need some more work

I remember Billie started teasing RevRad at the beginning of 2016, but then I saw on Wikipedia that the sessions actually started in 2014, so I started thinking maybe that's when he recorded the song Ordinary World in preparation for shooting the Geezer/Ordinary World movie?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Well they were working on RevRad in secret before we actually knew they were doing anything, right? Idk how long they were working on it for but I don't think there's any evidence to suggest they put less time into that album than their others

I think the band were putting more time into their albums up to 21CB and with the trilogy there was still a lot of effort put into that but wasn't enough time to put the necessary amount of effort for all 37 tracks. RevRad could've probably done with a bit more time too but was still a fine album. FOAMF needed like another year tbh, either for the band to realize that some of the songs just shouldn't even be released and that some songs really need some more work

It's been mentioned before that some consider FOAMF was a troll album, the last record the band was required to release with Warner Reprise. When, after careful consideration back in '94 they signed to Warner's Reprise label, giving the band full control on content and record release. And of course the record co.,  made loads. 

So instead of making their last release an epic record as a thank you, and something for the fans to drool over, had the relationship soured and it was a case of throw a handful of alright songs out to end this contract as they had to?  Was there a time limit?

Edited by pcj
Correction
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I believe there was an acoustic video in 2014 with the Somewhere Now riff  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

FOAMF wasn't a troll album. That's just people coping about the fact that they don't like a Green Day album

There isn't any source on wikipedia that says that the recording sessions started in 2014 so I'd take that with a grain of salt. Even if it is true, odds are that there was only 1 song that was partially recorded in 2014 and the actual album recording started much later. It says on the wikipedia page that work on the album began in 2014 but that doesn't necessarily mean recording started in 2014

The band were on hiatus starting around the spring of 2014 for medical issues that continued to keep them down through at least summer 2015. It may have been late 2015 that they even just start talking about new material and getting together to rehearse and record again. I think early 2016 is when it really began but on his own of course Billie never stops writing and he had several RevRad songs done and ready to go. RevRad seemed to be about a six month process and it was announced and out by late summer/early fall. It was quick compared to this.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, j3sus0fsuburbia said:

The consensus I see is that Green Day up to 2009 was basically The Original Star Wars Trilogy - OG and what we knew and loved growing up

The Trilogy was the Prequel Trilogy - Universally 'hated' until something else took it's place-now its considered better than worse, just differently. 

RevRad is Rogue One - Everyone loved it but it was in a weird place when it came out, a little of old a lil of new

And FOAMF is the Sequel trilogy - Took the place of Trilogy, most people don't think it's Canon, and the ones who do enjoy it are most likely a minority.

Very interesting analogy.  

We need one for Trek though, because Trek beats Wars...

Always.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The band were on hiatus starting around the spring of 2014 for medical issues that continued to keep them down through at least summer 2015. It may have been late 2015 that they even just start talking about new material and getting together to rehearse and record again. I think early 2016 is when it really began but on his own of course Billie never stops writing and he had several RevRad songs done and ready to go. RevRad seemed to be about a six month process and it was announced and out by late summer/early fall. It was quick compared to this.

I'm trying to remember, what kind of medical issues? Because Billie was already in rehab at the end of 2012

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

I'm trying to remember, what kind of medical issues? Because Billie was already in rehab at the end of 2012

I think Mike's wife was diagnosed and fighting cancer at that time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Billie still needed recovery time off even after the trilogy tour ended officially in late 2013. Starting 2014, Mike’s wife was undergoing cancer treatments and reconstructive surgeries for more than a year and Mike asked for extended time off even after that settled down in 2015 just to regroup and be with his family. Then towards the end of all that, Jason White had cancer treatments too. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Vintage Disciple said:

I think Mike's wife was diagnosed and fighting cancer at that time.

Oh duh! And Jason White had cancer too at some point

• Like 2

1 minute ago, That Dude said:

I was diagnosed in 2014, and I remember feeling as if Brittany, Jason and I were going through it together. 

All three of us are in the clear in 2022 and what better way to celebrate than a big ole 1972 Trilogy.   😉 😉 😉  

Glad to hear you're in remission, Dude

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, That Dude said:

Short one kidney and one testicle but doing fine without them.

Team one testicle! But I lost mine because of a slapshot so it's not the same thing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Team one testicle! But I lost mine because of a slapshot so it's not the same thing.

You, Tre and I.  

How long did it take to get used to be lopsided?  For me, about a year.  

Oh yeah, whatever topic this is...uh...1972 is gonna be good or whatever.  

22 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

How about football stadiums like MetLife Stadium in NJ?

No. That's worse than a baseball stadium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

Why is that?

Larger capacity, worse acoustics comparatively 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

Larger capacity, worse acoustics comparatively 

Arenas would be much better. Have they ever played at Madison Square Garden?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, j3sus0fsuburbia said:

The consensus I see is that Green Day up to 2009 was basically The Original Star Wars Trilogy - OG and what we knew and loved growing up

The Trilogy was the Prequel Trilogy - Universally 'hated' until something else took it's place-now its considered better than worse, just differently. 

RevRad is Rogue One - Everyone loved it but it was in a weird place when it came out, a little of old a lil of new

And FOAMF is the Sequel trilogy - Took the place of Trilogy, most people don't think it's Canon, and the ones who do enjoy it are most likely a minority.

1,039-Dookie= A New Hope. Smaller budget with young actors but they pulled off a one in a million!

Insomniac-warning= Empire Strikes Back. The darkest period for the band.

Idiot-21CB= Return of the Jedi. Reviving their career with a bang using all of their training, they destroyed the musical empire with these releases!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

FOAMF wasn't a troll album. That's just people coping about the fact that they don't like a Green Day album

Possibly. The band also wasn't taking itself seriously though at that time. 

Maybe not a troll album but it's not too serious of a release either. 

Don't forget the ketchup font. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, That Dude said:

I was diagnosed in 2014, and I remember feeling as if Brittany, Jason and I were going through it together. 

All three of us are in the clear in 2022 and what better way to celebrate than a big ole 1972 Trilogy.   😉 😉 😉  

So glad you're ok.

• Like 1