1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

There is "Legact Act" and then there is "Washed Up".

Green Day certainly aren't washed up, but the legacy thing is a bit blurred in 2022.   Many bands are putting out albums that sound like the most popular stuff and bringing back old members. 

And everybody is playing the hits and not much else. 

Did Covid do this, or what?

Maybe it's always been this way. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I think you’re misunderstanding what a legacy act is. WWWY is literally a festival of legacy acts, hence the title. Legacy acts can still sell out tours, stadiums and headline festivals. It doesn’t mean a band is “over” or “down” or that they suck. It just means that their most popular and best music is behind them and they’ve amassed enough of a back catalog that they can 100% live off it and tour off it. When every tour becomes a greatest hits tour and you’re no longer playing or promoting your latest music much because most fans don’t care to hear it, you might be a legacy act.

It doesn’t mean you’re no longer loved, but you are loved more for your past accomplishments. Most bands never achieve enough to have a legacy.  GD are one of the lucky few.

I agree, but also think "legacy band" is often used as a derogatory term.  They are stuck between a rock and a hard place, look at all the reviews saying what great shows they've just played, no filler etc etc.  We just have to accept, in a crowd of 65,000 like they had in Singapore, probably not many could name more than a couple of hits.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I've gone ahead and removed the paparazzi photos and discussion. We prefer not to have paparazzi photos posted here and it's off topic anyway.

I had a pretty lengthy response that I ended up deleting.   As someone who is sometimes skinny but currently overweight, I was going to 'weigh in', but I decided against it.  

Code name 1972 is going to be great to the point that GDA won't be so divided.   Yes, so great that we all agree for once.   

I say code name because I really hope it's called something else.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dreamykatie said:

As someone who became a fan after hella mega I can confirm that ppl will do this. Hell, my bestie and I got back to the hotel around 12:30 a.m. bc we were in the merch line and as soon as we got there I plugged my earphones in and searched up Green Day and listened to their songs, especially the older stuff, for a full hour afterward! 

Welcome to the madness.  I hope you enjoy all the excitement and speculation and that you love 1972 whatever it is and whenever it appears. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

IDK, I have a feeling, once 1972 comes out, they’ll reveal the truth about FOAM, which we suspected was a throwaway album to finish their contract. Although, I suppose it's possible FOAM songs would've made it into the setlist if the tour hadn't been delayed by Covid, and the album was still fresh in everyone's minds.

It's Billie Joe's Ultimate Contract Cheat 

They're gonna drop a single when it's trick or treat

The album will fail so miserably

because of Lydia's netflix tweet 

2 hours ago, dreamykatie said:

As someone who became a fan after hella mega 

This group may be the world's biggest minority group. 

On 10/16/2022 at 4:46 PM, Hermione said:

If you want to discuss further PM me. Back on topic here please.

PM wasn't working but thanks for letting me get a chance to report that. 

In the future let's have somebody else handle me as a mod. 

I'm tired of being subjected to the power issues. How is reporting 1 post abuse of the system? 

No need to answer the question just move me onto someone else in the future to deal with. 

I may just leak that warning posts page cause it's that ridiculous. I get that most of you guys don't have much power at home or work but just in case you ever get to clear over $18k a year you should start practicing now. You can't succeed in life acting erroneously.

19 hours ago, Gwen Stacy said:

I think it’s safe to declare they’re a legacy act at this point.

They're in their 50's though so it's not as negative as when it was pinned on them in the early 2000s. Completely normal to be a legacy act after having a solid career for 30 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheenius said:

They're in their 50's though so it's not as negative as when it was pinned on them in the early 2000s. Completely normal to be a legacy act after having a solid career for 30 years. 

To be clear I didn’t mean that as a pejorative. There are good and bad ways you can be a legacy act. I’d just rather them be something more like Rush and less like The Beach Boys. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

To be clear I didn’t mean that as a pejorative. There are good and bad ways you can be a legacy act. I’d just rather them be something more like Rush and less like The Beach Boys. 

I agree. I love Rush.

I met them too and they were awesome.

also their newer albums were actually really great too but like GD they dipped a bit after their classic albums. Hopefully GD can comeback in a similar way Rush did

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Legacy act is a new term for me.. not a fan of that phrase personally. But GD did a pretty good job keeping relevant and "popular" over such a long time. Can they do it again? I doubt it

However Nostalgia is very "in" at the moment. We have these 20 year old that are listening to music they grew up with or what their parents listened to.

I find it so funny going to popular bars and things and they're playing the same music they were 20 years ago

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

If the legacy band label was pinned on them in the early 2000's and they never got that 2nd big break in 2004, that wouldn't have been a great legacy. Not to say that their 90's albums are bad or anything, I don't think that at all, but Dookie was their only real hit album at the time and that's what they would be remembered for by most people and as much as I love that album, that would be such a waste.

They most likely wouldn't be around right now if it didn't happen. AI was pretty much an album that was either going to make it worth continuing or be a really solid last album. 

Where I'm from Nimrod is actually a beloved album. The way general fans talk about Green Day here you would think the order of releases were Dookie - Nimrod - AI 

17 minutes ago, Doggins said:

Legacy act is a new term for me.. not a fan of that phrase personally. But GD did a pretty good job keeping relevant and "popular" over such a long time. Can they do it again? I doubt it

However Nostalgia is very "in" at the moment. We have these 20 year old that are listening to music they grew up with or what their parents listened to.

I find it so funny going to popular bars and things and they're playing the same music they were 20 years ago

I think they're relevant but in the way that classic rock bands remained relevant in the early 2000s. People know that time is of the essence and there's a shortage of high quality rock bands or the output of new bands is significantly less than the quality output in previous years. 

It's a shame cause Green Day set the stage for another generation but the generation they passed the torch to shit all over it. That 2000s emo phase might be one of the worst movements ever in alternative music history. Those bands got even worse when emo died. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's interesting to hear what album got everybody into Green Day.   

Can we get a poll asking what album got you hooked on the band?  

I'm sure those numbers are kind of in line with how popular the albums are, but I'd love to hear from the outliers, or see how many OLD OLD school fans we have in here.  

Did anyone get on board during FOAM?  

4 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

No but some of us jumped ship 

I'll be on the roof. 

But since people jumped ship, they probably don't know what to do tonight.  

ooh  ooh ooh.  

8 hours ago, Sheenius said:

PM wasn't working but thanks for letting me get a chance to report that. 

You could have reported that instead of abusing the report system and then wouldn't have been suspended. Some of the ways of sending PMs unfortunately don't work at the moment. One that does is if you hover over someone's profile pic in a thread and select "message" from the box that pops up. Also you can always message any mod you want if you prefer to or you have an issue with the one you're dealing with.

11 minutes ago, Hermione said:

You could have reported that instead of abusing the report system and then wouldn't have been suspended. Some of the ways of sending PMs unfortunately don't work at the moment. One that does is if you hover over someone's profile pic in a thread and select "message" from the box that pops up. Also you can always message any mod you want if you prefer to or you have an issue with the one you're dealing with.

I can literally fix all of the site issues here. 

11 hours ago, That Dude said:

It's interesting to hear what album got everybody into Green Day.   

Can we get a poll asking what album got you hooked on the band?  

I'm sure those numbers are kind of in line with how popular the albums are, but I'd love to hear from the outliers, or see how many OLD OLD school fans we have in here.  

Did anyone get on board during FOAM?  

I think I've mentioned this before, back in '91 a was getting bored with music it just wasn't hitting the spot. Then I heard Dry Ice on the radio. That was it, that's what I've been waiting for. Then I got my hands on Kerplunk, I was in love with a band and hooked for life. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, pcj said:

I think I've mentioned this before, back in '91 a was getting bored with music it just wasn't hitting the spot. Then I heard Dry Ice on the radio. That was it, that's what I've been waiting for. Then I got my hands on Kerplunk, I was in love with a band and hooked for life. 

Kerplunk, nice!  You're definitely an old school fan. Possibly with the most years of Fandom on here unless there's someone that discovered them during or before their first album.