1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

Oooo    Predictions? I gotta get on this bandwagon since I'm not supposed to prophesy...

My prediction is:   The album makes people feel bad and depressed and lonely and has a great tune/beat to it and it is written for S&M projects. 

Seriously... does anyone really want to be abused by the music they listen to?  Only a few songs by this band aren't abusive... and those are the songs I like them for.     Billie Joe Armstrong is a shameful addict who doesn't give a crap about whose life he ruins.    He likes causing harm and then pretends that kissing someone on the cheek is going to make up for it ( anyone up for a billiard cattle brand?).    I mean shit...    He acts like a TODDLER who got left in a bathtub while his dad went to do clothes washing in a hotel while his mother was stuck in an inpatient unit... who was found exposing himself to people walking past the window, having the curtains flung wide open in his hands by the time his dad got back. 

Yeah I'm just a little ticked off at his behavior... as a lot of people should be... why are we paying for him to do this shit?     I want to hear him make good music and songs that arent the rehashing of peoples verbal turds.   "KNOW YOUR ENEMY"   .....   I know my enemy and my enemy is none of your damn business. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

58 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

With the Nimrod anniversary set coming in January, I'm thinking more realistically now. Now I'm thinking we'll get a single in late March, the album would be out in May, and the tour would start in June. @Sanity Loan what are your thoughts?

Sounds plausible. I’m not aware of anything I haven’t already said, so still just “2023.”

It’s hard to tell if the Nimrod release in late January is timed due to physical media production, or to start generating buzz for what’s next. I’d have to assume the new album would be out by When We We’re Young, at the latest. If more festivals are announced or we start hearing rumors of venues getting booked for tour dates, I’d think we’d have a more accurate estimate of when an album would be released.

Has Green Day ever been a band to start a tour prior to an album being released? (Excluding the trilogy)

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, HoneyEmerald said:

Oooo    Predictions? I gotta get on this bandwagon since I'm not supposed to prophesy...

My prediction is:   The album makes people feel bad and depressed and lonely and has a great tune/beat to it and it is written for S&M projects. 

Seriously... does anyone really want to be abused by the music they listen to?  Only a few songs by this band aren't abusive... and those are the songs I like them for.     Billie Joe Armstrong is a shameful addict who doesn't give a crap about whose life he ruins.    He likes causing harm and then pretends that kissing someone on the cheek is going to make up for it ( anyone up for a billiard cattle brand?).    I mean shit...    He acts like a TODDLER who got left in a bathtub while his dad went to do clothes washing in a hotel while his mother was stuck in an inpatient unit... who was found exposing himself to people walking past the window, having the curtains flung wide open in his hands by the time his dad got back. 

Yeah I'm just a little ticked off at his behavior... as a lot of people should be... why are we paying for him to do this shit?     I want to hear him make good music and songs that arent the rehashing of peoples verbal turds.   "KNOW YOUR ENEMY"   .....   I know my enemy and my enemy is none of your damn business. 

You're a victim of your symptom. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

Sounds plausible. I’m not aware of anything I haven’t already said, so still just “2023.”

It’s hard to tell if the Nimrod release in late January is timed due to physical media production, or to start generating buzz for what’s next. I’d have to assume the new album would be out by When We We’re Young, at the latest. If more festivals are announced or we start hearing rumors of venues getting booked for tour dates, I’d think we’d have a more accurate estimate of when an album would be released.

Has Green Day ever been a band to start a tour prior to an album being released? (Excluding the trilogy)

If the album is out by then, it just seems odd to me that they would start teasing at the end of 2021, which implied a 2022 release. So maybe there really were plans to put out an EP, then they decided to make a full album and went back to RAK, then back to LA at Ocean Way and Henson. Then the Nimrod news dropped and it got me thinking. Could they have just been at Henson simply to mix Nimrod?

• Like 1

Anyone think the guys sold their interests in Rudy’s Cafe and Broken Guitars in order to finance this next phase? If their deal with Warner is restructured and they own their stuff now, maybe GD have to pay for everything from recording to touring and they’ve been using some expensive studios and hiring high priced professionals for an extended period for this album, when they could have recorded at one of their own. They’re spending bank on this project.

29 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

If an anniversary release of their third best-selling album takes priority over new music, Green Day is officially a legacy act.

I don't think it's that Nimrod was a priority over 1972, I think it's because the pandemic delayed the tour, so they had to squeeze the 1972 recording sessions and Nimrod mixing sessions in the middle of the tour. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hermione said:

Transgender isn't a slur. "Tranny" is and always has been a slur - if you weren't aware of this google it to learn more. The T in LGBT+ stands for transgender not t*****. Just because some transgender people choose to reclaim the slur by using it doesn't mean everyone should be throwing it around. It's exactly the same thing as some black people reclaiming the n word by using it or some gay people reclaiming the f word (eg Billie Joe, a bisexual man, using it in a song) etc. Pretty simple to understand. 

The context was that you were making a rhyming joke - it's not like you were for example quoting it in order to explain something like I just have. You weren't using it maliciously (which I'm sure you can tell I realised from my reply) but just like if people started casually using the n word on here, we don't want to see other slurs used casually either. We received reports from people who were offended so acted on them by simply pointing out that it's a slur and not appropriate. 

If you want to discuss further PM me. Back on topic here please.

It was a joke poking fun at people who would be offended by transgender artistry so it actually technically is quoted exactly like yours was. 

8 hours ago, Hermione said:

Transgender isn't a slur. "Tranny" is and always has been a slur - if you weren't aware of this google it to learn more. The T in LGBT+ stands for transgender not t*****. Just because some transgender people choose to reclaim the slur by using it doesn't mean everyone should be throwing it around. It's exactly the same thing as some black people reclaiming the n word by using it or some gay people reclaiming the f word (eg Billie Joe, a bisexual man, using it in a song) etc. Pretty simple to understand. 

The context was that you were making a rhyming joke - it's not like you were for example quoting it in order to explain something like I just have. You weren't using it maliciously (which I'm sure you can tell I realised from my reply) but just like if people started casually using the n word on here, we don't want to see other slurs used casually either. We received reports from people who were offended so acted on them by simply pointing out that it's a slur and not appropriate. 

If you want to discuss further PM me. Back on topic here please.

I will also be reporting the people who are sacrificing our freedom of speech and expression, theyre bullies

Edited by Hermione
User was warned for this post
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, That Dude said:

You're a victim of your symptom. 

Actually, I am a survivor who fought back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

If the album is out by then, it just seems odd to me that they would start teasing at the end of 2021, which implied a 2022 release. So maybe there really were plans to put out an EP, then they decided to make a full album and went back to RAK, then back to LA at Ocean Way and Henson. Then the Nimrod news dropped and it got me thinking. Could they have just been at Henson simply to mix Nimrod?

This seems like what happened outside of the Henson stuff. Nimrod wasn't remixed/remastered for this re-release so not sure they would need to do much in studio. Maybe they recorded 1972 directly to tape and were making the digital master. There were some social posts showing off the tape machines/reel to reels so it's possible.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

I think it’s safe to declare they’re a legacy act at this point.

36 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

After this tour I’m starting to believe that but I’m willing to give them one more new album/tour cycle before fully accepting it.  If the next tour is the same pattern of greatest hits and mostly festival dates, then yeah. 

Basically, I’m still in the denial phase of grief 🫢

IDK, I have a feeling, once 1972 comes out, they’ll reveal the truth about FOAM, which we suspected was a throwaway album to finish their contract. Although, I suppose it's possible FOAM songs would've made it into the setlist if the tour hadn't been delayed by Covid, and the album was still fresh in everyone's minds.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

IDK, I have a feeling, once 1972 comes out, they’ll reveal the truth about FOAM, which we suspected was a throwaway album to finish their contract. Although, I suppose it's possible FOAM songs would've made it into the setlist if the tour hadn't been delayed by Covid, and the album was still fresh in everyone's minds.

Eh Idk if they would, when an album isn’t received well lately they just pretend it didn’t happen 😂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PursuitOfEpicness said:

Eh Idk if they would, when an album isn’t received well lately they just pretend it didn’t happen 😂

They did mention the trilogy during the RevRad promo period though. How it had "absolutely no direction to them" and was "prolific for the sake of it". I think they will talk about FOAMF if an interviewer asks about it but otherwise I think they will probably remain mostly quiet about it

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I think you’re misunderstanding what a legacy act is. WWWY is literally a festival of legacy acts, hence the title. Legacy acts can still sell out tours, stadiums and headline festivals. It doesn’t mean a band is “over” or “down” or that they suck. It just means that their most popular and best music is behind them and they’ve amassed enough of a back catalog that they can 100% live off it and tour off it. When every tour becomes a greatest hits tour and you’re no longer playing or promoting your latest music much because most fans don’t care to hear it, you might be a legacy act.

It doesn’t mean you’re no longer loved, but you are loved more for your past accomplishments. Most bands never achieve enough to have a legacy.  GD are one of the lucky few.

I think the only reason why they only played their hits on the Hella Mega Tour was because they had to cut down their setlist to make room for Weezer and Fall Out Boy. It’s the first time they’ve ever done a tour like that. Once they go on tour for 1972, I guarantee they’ll play the singles from the new album, they may even play some FOAM songs, maybe even RevRad and Trilogy songs. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1