1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

18 minutes ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Man, listening to the new RHCP albums this year really makes me wish the entire band cared as much as the chili peppers do when it comes to new music. You can tell each member of the band is really trying to bring something to the table and I haven't felt that way for a green day album since American idiot or maybe 21st. Not to say they don't care entirely but there are parts that feel very I don't know phoned in.

Every album. Be it either Mike's bass line, to Billies songwriting, to the production it feels like they aren't ever as Mike would put it "firing on ALL cylinders."  There's always one or two cylinders that arnt going off at any giving point lol. I'd say, and this is sheer speculation in my end, but Tre is the only one who actually gives a shit completely for every album 

Here's to hoping 1972 has the missing passion 

Every teaser leads me to believe this is something very meaningful to them and they’re giving it 110%!!! FOAM was clearly just them making music, experimenting, and having fun

• Like 1

Do you guys think there will be swearing on 1972?  

I hope it's either all or nothing.     More F-bombs that Kill the DJ or a totally different and more creative writing style in terms of lyrics.   

Intentionally no buzzwords for a more timeless feel.    No hearts.   No guns.    No freaking-gosh darned Amanda tracks.    Whatshisface can come back, maybe St. Jimmy.  

Also, can anyone tell me the best place to submit my xlyophone parts?   I really feel like it would warm the album up a bit.   

I want a Do Da Da part 2.      

Like a dog. 

BBQ.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Zebahar said:

I actually think RevRad was the closest they came since 21CB to having that full passion. I will say there was nothing truly spectacular about that album, but it does seem like they made some effort to create some sort of common theme throughout the album, and the lyrics did have some meaning to them. The reason I like it so much as an album is because they showed their love and care for the songs by playing many of them during their concerts and playing with passion.

I can’t make any true determinations from the teasers whether they have a lot of passion behind this album or not, but if it’s true that they have been going into the studio for this long (minus touring time), it seems like they are taking time on this one, which HOPEFULLY means playing around with songs until they work.

That teaser with CLA led me to believe recording was already done and in the mixing stage.

36 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The honesty doesn’t tend to come out until the next cycle so I’m curious if we’ll get some truths about FOAM once they’re discussing the new album and contrasting it with what they did previously. That’s usually when they backtrack.

I think, since it was their last album on their contract, they just made the album with no direction except to experiment and have fun. Some tracks were cut and evolved into the Network Money Money 2020 Part 2. Art of the Deal with the Devil was one of the cut tracks. I also think this could've been a FOAM track, it sounds more like Green Day than anything else on the Network album. 

I want the next album to sound exactly like FOAM and Tre had a baby....

and that baby has songs that sound like Good Charlotte.

and What's My Age Again.  

Then I turned on the TV.   

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2022 at 1:24 AM, michael1989 said:

Billie says a lot of things. Sometimes he changes his mind only seconds later.

*Flashback to BIAB*

Billie: "This song's called St Jimmy!"

Billie: "Starry nights, city lights coming down over me..."

💀

This album is gonna be called “Straight Outta ‘72”

The songs go as follows:

1.) Here Comes the Rally

2.) Did Someone Say Summer

3.) Give The Cops Rights

4.) Buddies in Blue

5.) Taking Stands on Fallen Grounds

6.) Here’s The Picket Fence

7.) Taking Breaks (More Like Break and Take)

8.) Hella to Fuck the Mega

9.) Worm Ring

10.) Stabbing Futures

11.) Push Forward to the Back of the Line

12.) We Said We No Longer Liked Long Songs, We Didn’t Say Anything About Long Titles

13.) Push-it Up The Back Side

i have a strong feeling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Train27 said:

12.) We Said We No Longer Liked Long Songs, We Didn’t Say Anything About Long Titles

So they did pick up some inspiration from FOB with a title like that 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Man, listening to the new RHCP albums this year really makes me wish the entire band cared as much as the chili peppers do when it comes to new music. You can tell each member of the band is really trying to bring something to the table and I haven't felt that way for a green day album since American idiot or maybe 21st. Not to say they don't care entirely but there are parts that feel very I don't know phoned in.

Every album. Be it either Mike's bass line, to Billies songwriting, to the production it feels like they aren't ever as Mike would put it "firing on ALL cylinders."  There's always one or two cylinders that arnt going off at any giving point lol. I'd say, and this is sheer speculation in my end, but Tre is the only one who actually gives a shit completely for every album 

Here's to hoping 1972 has the missing passion 

But RHCP did it because of John. You can feel the difference in their music now. John LIVES for music and their music with Josh was really boring and disappointing. UL was a good album and their shows are pretty good right now (compared to shows with Josh). But they lost their passion for a time after John left the band.

For me I still feel the passion in their music post 21stCB (except for FOAM) when you listen to Rusty James (especially), Brutal Love, Youngblood, Bang Bang or Forever Now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/8/2022 at 3:58 AM, Psycho Britney said:

Hell no! OK don't be a dick and wave it around for whole songs, or a whole shows, but I still want to get a few little videos and pictures. Sorry Billie, I just ignored you anyway, waited a couple of songs and then carried on. 

It was funny because at Hella Mega I was kind of expecting it. Then what does BJ do? Go and and ask us all to turn on the torch and wave it around!🤣

Thank you. I get where he's coming from but at the same time people paid to get in and if they want to to enjoy the entire thing through their phone let them. It's silly but whatever. I'm also someone who likes to snap a few pics and maybe one video for later. I don't see what's the issue. I've had people argue with me about it and question why I do it when professional pics are better. And it's because it's a memento! There's something cool about having a pic you took yourself. And also, what's wrong with sharing videos with fans? It's what GDC lives for when the boys go on your! Snap away just don't be a dick about it.

• Like 2

They guys should play characters for this album.

Tre - a super hero called Pizza Man who blasts 5 dollar pizzas from his abdomen.

Mike Dirnt will be Bubble Gum Bob. He chews gum.

Billie Joe be The Toxic Avenger.

They battle the Network and lose.

All the music videos (15 of them)  will be very similar to the Oh Love video, but way more obscene. 

Quadruple double album.  The cover will have a mutated monkey donkey unicorn that is Pukey from an alternate dimension.

The music will sound like Rocky Horror Picture show and Hee Haw Had a sexy car wreck.

You get a free pack of beer and bubble gum.

Oh and Josh Klingwhateves from RHCP will play ALL instruments on the album.

Boom.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Grohl said:

Thank you. I get where he's coming from but at the same time people paid to get in and if they want to to enjoy the entire thing through their phone let them. It's silly but whatever. I'm also someone who likes to snap a few pics and maybe one video for later. I don't see what's the issue. I've had people argue with me about it and question why I do it when professional pics are better. And it's because it's a memento! There's something cool about having a pic you took yourself. And also, what's wrong with sharing videos with fans? It's what GDC lives for when the boys go on your! Snap away just don't be a dick about it.

And when they prohibit video at the 1972 secret shows, you know people are going to do it anyway!!!

• Like 2

I’m not totally sure how I’m expecting this album to sound, but perhaps it may sound like a mix between the longshot and also green day itself?

I feel with the album title and the fact it’s basically their own birth years, maybe we could be getting a more classic and throwback green day sound?

I wouldn’t be complaining if the lyrics end up sounding as if they’ve came off of slappy or even kerplunk, but the album itself end up sounding more like revrad/ 21st century breakdown

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xWhatsername_ said:

I’m not totally sure how I’m expecting this album to sound, but perhaps it may sound like a mix between the longshot and also green day itself?

I feel with the album title and the fact it’s basically their own birth years, maybe we could be getting a more classic and throwback green day sound?

I wouldn’t be complaining if the lyrics end up sounding as if they’ve came off of slappy or even kerplunk, but the album itself end up sounding more like revrad/ 21st century breakdown

Don’t forget American Idiot, that’s the vibe I got from all of the teasers

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

The honesty doesn’t tend to come out until the next cycle so I’m curious if we’ll get some truths about FOAM once they’re discussing the new album and contrasting it with what they did previously. That’s usually when they backtrack.

I'm hoping the same! I mean they had their reasons and it's totally fine if they wanted to try something new and fun with FOAM, but I think it would be very interesting to hear why certain decitions were made (by example the spray tan, the Post Malone and beer pong thing in combination with the pro Billie Eilish and anti Ariana Grande thing that happened all of a sudden and was never mentioned again before and after or why they decided to release Oh Yeah! as a single and play it that often on television although Billie just played a single chord on guitar)

Whenever the first 1972 single comes out, I probably won’t be hearing it on the radio. I just found out ALT 92.3 New York is flipping to a simulcast of all news 1010 WINS at the end of the month!!! How’s alt rock radio doing in your cities? Oh well, thank God for Spotify I guess

1 hour ago, Flashback said:

I'm hoping the same! I mean they had their reasons and it's totally fine if they wanted to try something new and fun with FOAM, but I think it would be very interesting to hear why certain decitions were made (by example the spray tan, the Post Malone and beer pong thing in combination with the pro Billie Eilish and anti Ariana Grande thing that happened all of a sudden and was never mentioned again before and after or why they decided to release Oh Yeah! as a single and play it that often on television although Billie just played a single chord on guitar)

Also, I don’t think Tré even plays drums on that track either. I think the drums are completely sampled from Joan Jett, except for maybe the "Everybody is a star" chorus?

59 minutes ago, Flashback said:

Midlife crisis.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Insomniac90 said:

For me I still feel the passion in their music post 21stCB (except for FOAM) when you listen to Rusty James (especially), Brutal Love, Youngblood, Bang Bang or Forever Now.

That's a decent point but I still don't think overall the band only gives 1 to 2/3 a shit at any given time, ya know

3 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Midlife crisis.

Mixed with just not giving a shit and being out of touch yes

On 10/6/2022 at 6:41 PM, That Dude said:

I smashed my head on a block so I can't really figure it out 

I fly alone with these turtle shells

screaming "woo-hoo" at these shy guys like they were never there

EVERYBODY GO CRAZY....I mean, help me finish this Forever Mario song, because I give up now.  

Standing at the super mario world

its giving toad the chills

warping to the edge of the 4th world

lost in twin bridges it's freaking me out

koopas, bowsers and a pow

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sheenius said:

Standing at the super mario world

its giving toad the chills

warping to the edge of the 4th world

lost in twin bridges it's freaking me out