1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

2 hours ago, The Grohl said:

That being said, it is strange they didn't include any FOAMF songs on tour. I wonder if that's because they knew it wasn't very well received. 

For half of the tour, they didn’t even include songs from Rev Rad as well. I know Still Breathing was played for the first leg, but part of me believes that was added given the pandemic and all. 

I’ve never looked, but I’m almost positive that all the songs in their set list right now are all the top played songs on  Spotify

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, legendary said:

I was wondering If we will hear someday all these Network/Foxboro songs in previously Green Day versions

I have already said that here, but I think the Hella Mega was made 'cause they want to bring more people to Green Day shows in future. So play all the hits in many festivals around the world was the best choice. 

When they go on tour for 1972, I hope it’s a huge 1972 Tour and not Hella Mega 2

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I've not listened to that album but it seems to have been received well by critics and fans according to metacritic https://www.metacritic.com/music/the-end-so-far/slipknot (at least compared to FOAMF)

And how do you determine that they put low effort into the album

Regardless, I'd lose respect for any band who puts less effort into an album or just deliberately makes your album bad just to piss off their label. When fans are waiting years between albums, it just suggests that you don't care about your fans. I don't think Green Day did that with FOAMF. I think they just wanted to make an album like that and that they liked it. There isn't any reason to claim that's what they did either. Everyone's just said that because they don't like FOAMF and want to believe that Green Day wouldn't make an album they don't like unless they were trying to make a bad album

then why foam is literally the only lp they dont play songs off live? besides some promo/tv appereances they had for the release marketing

they even played some trilogy songs sometimes, even after the infamous iheart incident

foam has by far the lowest play count (live) than any other green day (main) lp

(of course, its their most recent lp and we have the pandemic, but they still had many possibilities to play atleast some songs across the globe until now)

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/albums/green-day-13d68939.html

18 minutes ago, GuitarPunk94 said:

then why foam is literally the only lp they dont play songs off live? besides some promo/tv appereances they had for the release marketing

they even played some trilogy songs sometimes, even after the infamous iheart incident

Because it was a greatest hits tour. In this Kerrang interview, Billie literally says that the reason for the album's omission from the tour wasn't because of their dislike of the record but because they wanted to "play the songs that are most sentimental at this moment" which is probably why they played Pollyanna for the tour because it was released in the middle of the pandemic and had the message of everything is going to be alright. Billie even says "I love the record" "especially side two". You can think he's not being entirely truthful there but there is literally no evidence to suggest that the band dislikes the album

This album seems to be more disliked by fans than the trilogy anyway

• Like 3

It would seem very unlike them to just mail it in, but a 10-track LP clocking in at the minimum, after a 4-year gap, sort of does beg the question.

One thought I had was that maybe the songs put a lot of strain on BJ's voice. Imagine him yelping out FRA every night for 6 months or whatever before his vocal chords are just like "nope".

They've also pointed out in the past that they don't write songs which can't be played live. That may well have been true up until this record- we all know there was plenty of experimentation on FOAM, and maybe that was the goal more than translating the songs to a live setting.

• Like 3

Just now, localinsomniac said:

IThey've also pointed out in the past that they don't write songs which can't be played live. That may well have been true up until this record- we all know there was plenty of experimentation on FOAM, and maybe that was the goal more than translating the songs to a live setting.

Yeah I pointed out recently that they probably knew they weren't going to get to play a lot of these songs live because of Hella Mega tour so they just decided to make whatever they wanted, regardless of whether it would work live or not

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

It would seem very unlike them to just mail it in, but a 10-track LP clocking in at the minimum, after a 4-year gap, sort of does beg the question.

One thought I had was that maybe the songs put a lot of strain on BJ's voice. Imagine him yelping out FRA every night for 6 months or whatever before his vocal chords are just like "nope".

They've also pointed out in the past that they don't write songs which can't be played live. That may well have been true up until this record- we all know there was plenty of experimentation on FOAM, and maybe that was the goal more than translating the songs to a live setting.

Stab You in the Heart too. I’m surprised they didn’t at least add Graffitia to the setlist. After all, Billie performed it live on TV for that virtual pandemic live from home thing.

Also, did Weezer play any Van Weezer songs on the tour, or just their greatest hits as well?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GDFan2019 said:

Stab You in the Heart too. I’m surprised they didn’t at least add Graffitia to the setlist. After all, Billie performed it live on TV for that virtual pandemic live from home thing

I'm confident that FOAMF will make an appearance on their next tour (unless they just stick with the Hella Mega greatest hits setlist, which I hope they don't). There are definitely songs which would work well live which are also generally the ones that the fans like the best from the album i.e. Graffitia, Sugar Youth, Stab You in the Heart. Now, I don't think there will be multiple tracks from the album appearing every show but I think they will pop up every once in a while. The rest of the songs on the album are either songs that their fans are more mixed on or just wouldn't work well live

43 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm confident that FOAMF will make an appearance on their next tour (unless they just stick with the Hella Mega greatest hits setlist, which I hope they don't). There are definitely songs which would work well live which are also generally the ones that the fans like the best from the album i.e. Graffitia, Sugar Youth, Stab You in the Heart. Now, I don't think there will be multiple tracks from the album appearing every show but I think they will pop up every once in a while. The rest of the songs on the album are either songs that their fans are more mixed on or just wouldn't work well live

And songs from the Trilogy, for years I’ve been hoping they’d finally play Dirty Rotten Bastards!!! And plus, there has to be room for the 1972 songs.

1 hour ago, GuitarPunk94 said:

(of course, its their most recent lp and we have the pandemic, but they still had many possibilities to play atleast some songs across the globe until now)

I just saw the link above and noticed they actually played DRB once in 2011. Does anyone have a recording of that?

7 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm confident that FOAMF will make an appearance on their next tour (unless they just stick with the Hella Mega greatest hits setlist, which I hope they don't). 

I would be surprised to hear any FOAM songs. The trilogy was dropped from the RevRad tour onwards so I expect that to be the same with FOAM. They don't seem to want to make many adjustments to their standard set, so at most I would expect 3 - 5 new songs, maybe 1 or 2 from RevRad and the rest the Hella Mega setlist.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, michael1989 said:

I would be surprised to hear any FOAM songs. The trilogy was dropped from the RevRad tour onwards so I expect that to be the same with FOAM. They don't seem to want to make many adjustments to their standard set, so at most I would expect 3 - 5 new songs, maybe 1 or 2 from RevRad and the rest the Hella Mega setlist.

If it’s just them on the 1972 tour, their setlist can be longer, since they won’t need room for Weezer and Fall Out Boy. Before Hella Mega, weren’t their sets like closer to 2 hours long?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Psycho Britney said:

I've always said the exact same thing. Just GD shows have longer setlist's. People did then point out to me that GD are getting older and are 'slowing down', so I guess we'll have to wait and see. (I personally don't like to hear this and stick my fingers in my ears and go 'la la la')! 🤣🙉

I don‘t think so, even Mick Jagger still has a ton of energy on stage and he’s over 80!!!

• Like 1

I just saw them last week and it was just them. They played the same setlist

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grinsoniko said:

I just saw them last week and it was just them. They played the same setlist

Well yes, these are just post tour festivals. Once 1972 comes out, the setlist will be changed, they could play 4 or 5 songs from the album and open the set with the album’s lead single.

I'm definitely expecting a change for the 1972 tour. For all of their previous albums besides FOAMF, they played a majority of songs from their album for the following tour and FOAMF was only excluded because it didn't have its own tour. The Hella Mega Tour wasn't a "Father of All tour". I'm very confident that they will play 1972 songs live for their next tour. And I'm still confident that FOAMF will make an appearance on the tour in some way. Whether that be them just playing one song once or twice, having one song be played regularly on the tour, having multiple songs show up etc.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm definitely expecting a change for the 1972 tour. For all of their previous albums besides FOAMF, they played a majority of songs from their album for the following tour and FOAMF was only excluded because it didn't have its own tour. The Hella Mega Tour wasn't a "Father of All tour". I'm very confident that they will play 1972 songs live for their next tour. And I'm still confident that FOAMF will make an appearance on the tour in some way. Whether that be them just playing one song once or twice, having one song be played regularly on the tour, having multiple songs show up etc.

I noticed the FOAM title track actually sounded better live when they performed it at the 2019 Game Awards

• Like 1

I hate to he that person but most likely they won’t bother to relearn anything from FOAM even though I want them to

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Zebahar said:

For half of the tour, they didn’t even include songs from Rev Rad as well. I know Still Breathing was played for the first leg, but part of me believes that was added given the pandemic and all. 

I’ve never looked, but I’m almost positive that all the songs in their set list right now are all the top played songs on  Spotify

You are correct.   They always play their Top Ten on Spotify.   I'm surprised Longview has kind of fallen out of their top 10, but it's still in their top 20 for sure.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Yeah realistically I don't think they would bother when they believe the audience wouldn't know it or love it. They want to promote new songs or play crowd pleasers.

If the 1972 songs have meaningful, deep lyrics, just like American Idiot, I hope they become setlist mainstays for years to come. You don’t think 1972 would be cut from the tour for their next album after that, right?