1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

10 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Yeah that's a possibility I guess. There's also about 10,000 more possibilities too. It's obviously fine to speculate but I'm just saying, on the very first page of this thread you were thinking maybe we'll get a single around February or March in 2021. Now obviously that was before we knew if they were making an album or an EP but we still don't really know anything about the album. The album may still not be out by the midway point of 2023 for all we know

With all this time their taking, and the fact they've been to multiple studios, I can just picture grandiose production, piano ballads, lush string sections. A string section would be perfect for this song!!

20 minutes ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

I'm expecting 1972 to feel very much like RevRad 2 

I think It will be much like Outlaws in terms of lyrics 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

I'm expecting 1972 to feel very much like RevRad 2 

I think the mental approach will be similar but creatively from a songwriting perspective it will need to be different. 

Rev Rad did a great job of bringing some new energy into the setlist with the title track and Bang Bang. Songs like Still Breathing and Ordinary World give them some options to slot some different tempos into the setlist going forward as well so it was a positive effort. The middle of the album isn't cohesive enough though and for this reason I feel like Revolution Radio is actually one of Green Day's most overrated albums. 

The next album can be similar in the vein of adding some fresh tracks to the different areas of the setlist but it will need to pack a punch all the way through 12-13 songs. They don't have to stray away from 1-3 experiments on it, they just need to make sure they're well executed and completed ideas. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

With all this time their taking, and the fact they've been to multiple studios, I can just picture grandiose production, piano ballads, lush string sections. A string section would be perfect for this song!!

I don't know how much they're investing into this project but we do know that they've been to Oceanway and some reputable studios. Rob Cavallo is back with them and I'm pretty sure he's telling them if I'm in this next project let's actually make a maximum Green Day record this time in real studios. I also think CLA is back with them on this project. 

It would seem they are taking their time and proceeding with care but we also know going too far and taking too long won't help the process either. I think a fall 2023 release may be most probable and realistic. It will also be considered for a Grammy if it is released in a proper window. The band doesn't and shouldn't care about that but I think it's great timing and great opportunity for them to be visible and open themselves up to another generation of possible fans. 

As for that teaser in the clip, it seems like some joke or them messing around but I like the different sound. Something like that well executed and fully completed could really be a cool addition to the album. It's got a 60's vibe to it which is really true to Green Day's formula but I also think it's on par with some modern stuff too. Vaporwave, dead mall music and overall just chill trippy stuff (which often includes some psychedelic sounds and what not) is really growing and not to mention a lot of underground solo artists are spewing out a lot of psychedelic sounds and riffs. 

In my day our underground scene was all about pulling out distortion pedals, luckily those nu-metal ones went out of style quickly! Now there's a growth in space echos, delay pedals, wahs etc. You even hear psychedelics nuances in Billie Eilish's music which is probably the most mainstream artist that does that right now. 

I've always felt Green Day was somewhat mainstream but it's only because they were able to crossover several generations and counter-cultures. Mainstream rock fans like GD, Alt rock fans like GD, Classic Rock fans now like GD, Metal fans like GD, hell even rap fans like GD. Right now it may feel counter-culture is a thing of the past but it still exists in a more introverted chilled kind of way. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

I don't know how much they're investing into this project but we do know that they've been to Oceanway and some reputable studios. Rob Cavallo is back with them and I'm pretty sure he's telling them if I'm in this next project let's actually make a maximum Green Day record this time in real studios. I also think CLA is back with them on this project. 

It would seem they are taking their time and proceeding with care but we also know going too far and taking too long won't help the process either. I think a fall 2023 release may be most probable and realistic. It will also be considered for a Grammy if it is released in a proper window. The band doesn't and shouldn't care about that but I think it's great timing and great opportunity for them to be visible and open themselves up to another generation of possible fans. 

As for that teaser in the clip, it seems like some joke or them messing around but I like the different sound. Something like that well executed and fully completed could really be a cool addition to the album. It's got a 60's vibe to it which is really true to Green Day's formula but I also think it's on par with some modern stuff too. Vaporwave, dead mall music and overall just chill trippy stuff (which often includes some psychedelic sounds and what not) is really growing and not to mention a lot of underground solo artists are spewing out a lot of psychedelic sounds and riffs. 

In my day our underground scene was all about pulling out distortion pedals, luckily those nu-metal ones went out of style quickly! Now there's a growth in space echos, delay pedals, wahs etc. You even hear psychedelics nuances in Billie Eilish's music which is probably the most mainstream artist that does that right now. 

I've always felt Green Day was somewhat mainstream but it's only because they were able to crossover several generations and counter-cultures. Mainstream rock fans like GD, Alt rock fans like GD, Classic Rock fans now like GD, Metal fans like GD, hell even rap fans like GD. Right now it may feel counter-culture is a thing of the past but it still exists in a more introverted chilled kind of way. 

Fall 2023? Idk, that's way too far ahead for a project that they started at the end of 2021. They have been teasing us with this thing all year, and now Billie wears 1972 on his back at every show!!! I have a feeling he's going to announce something to the crowd at the F1 show, the last show of the year.

2 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Fall 2023? Idk, that's way too far ahead for a project that they started at the end of 2021. They have been teasing us with this thing all year, and now Billie wears 1972 on his back at every show!!! I have a feeling he's going to announce something to the crowd at the F1 show, the last show of the year.

i doubt they do anything special for the two remaining (formula one) shows

hellamega was huuuge and a success for them
billie on the very last hellamega show "this is the last show of hellamega, you know ... i dont know what to say ... i love you" *crowd goes crazy* :D

• Like 4

10 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Why not? 21stCB took 15 months and even before the recording sessions they were teasing us with snippets out of the studio (chocolate rain). It‘s possible we‘ll get an announcement in december with a single and tour announcement and album release in april/may. Slipknot did the same and released the 1st single last year in november and album announcement in July this year and their album is coming out on friday. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Insomniac90 said:

Why not? 21stCB took 15 months and even before the recording sessions they were teasing us with snippets out of the studio (chocolate rain). It‘s possible we‘ll get an announcement in december with a single and tour announcement and album release in april/may. Slipknot did the same and released the 1st single last year in november and album announcement in July this year and their album is coming out on friday. 

That makes sense, and like I said on the previous page, in that time frame, they can perform the new song on late night shows like Kimmel, Fallon, or SNL and then on New Year’s Eve!!!

On 9/23/2022 at 10:30 AM, GDFan2019 said:

Actually, if you think about it, they can put out the new single in December, like around Tré’s birthday on the 9th, and then perform it live on TV on SNL, Jimmy Kimmel, Fallon, and then on New Year’s Eve!!!

December wouldn’t be good as labels are pretty much shut down from thanksgiving to mid January 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

Or they can take a likely much-needed break, like they've always done over the holidays time.

True, I can at least see Billie making an appearance on NBC on New Year's Eve if Miley Cyrus has another special, since Billie had to pull out last year due to being exposed to Covid.

I'm happy to wait until next year for a single but would be nice to at least get some more teasers in the meantime

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, That Dude said:

What a wacko jacko:  

I bet the song Jennifer is about Amanda.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Where is this alleged setlist?

It was on setlist.fm, but has been taken down.    This is what they said though:  

1.   1972

2.   How Much Longer

3.   Maybe Forever

4.   Pollyanna

5.   Things I Heard Today

6.   Jennifer

7.   Holy Toledo

8.   New Found Love

9.   Should I Stay?

10.    Crystal

ENCORE:  

11. JAR

12. Going ot Pasalaque

13.  Christie Road

14.  She 

(secret venue for family and friends)  

and then the second "secret show" on setlist.fm as well.   Also taken down.    

Story About Forever 

Dirty Dirty

Brainstew (partial)

Untitled New Song (partial)  

I really like these song titles and how it ALMOST seems real.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, That Dude said:

and then the second "secret show" on setlist.fm as well.   Also taken down.    

Story About Forever 

Dirty Dirty

Brainstew (partial)

Untitled New Song (partial)  

I really like these song titles and how it ALMOST seems real.  

I made this setlist up to prove that the first one is probably also fake, just sayin

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, That Dude said:

Nobody could have made that up because setlist.fm said that zero people went to that show.    It was just the band playing to an empty venue to prove they are still punk.

Was there actually a secret show or is this entire thread a joke?

• Like 1