1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

1 hour ago, Gwen Stacy said:

We could write strongly written letters to our congresspersons 

Biden could help us.  

9 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

@Gwen Stacy had a good idea I wonder if we could get a lot of fans at the last three shows to hold up signs that say "Play me something from 1972!"  Maybe by the last show they could decide to?  Didn't we successfully pull off a sign campaign in the past with Awesome As Fuck?

Didn't he play Drama Queen during the 21CB tour?

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

Didn't he play Drama Queen during the 21CB tour?

„Fuck Time“ during Hitchin‘ a ride in Mainz 2010.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Insomniac1984 said:

That's right, Green Day has done this so many times. For instance, Dookie songs on 1993, Insomniac tracks during Dookie era, When it's Time in 1992, Warning (the song) on The Bridge School shows in 1999, Trilogy Songs since 2009/2010, and also we knew Stab You in the heart in 2015 (I think, I can't remmeber the exact year) played by the Quartos in These Paper Bullets Musical Show.

So why GD  don't give us a little surprise playing something from 1972, yet???🤷‍♂️

I believe that the crowds on Festivals or big big Shows are not the right place to test new songs and the feedback. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Insomniac1984 said:

That's right, Green Day has done this so many times. For instance, Dookie songs on 1993, Insomniac tracks during Dookie era, When it's Time in 1992, Warning (the song) on The Bridge School shows in 1999, Trilogy Songs since 2009/2010, and also we knew Stab You in the heart in 2015 (I think, I can't remmeber the exact year) played by the Quartos in These Paper Bullets Musical Show.

So why GD  don't give us a little surprise playing something from 1972, yet???🤷‍♂️

Wait, When It’s Time is THAT old?

53 minutes ago, marekpipe said:

I believe that the crowds on Festivals or big big Shows are not the right place to test new songs and the feedback. 

They opened their Reading set in 04 with American Idiot, though I can't recall whether the single was already out at the time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, localinsomniac said:

They opened their Reading set in 04 with American Idiot, though I can't recall whether the single was already out at the time

Yeah the single came out on the 6th and the festival was on the 29th

1 hour ago, GreenDayItaly said:

Yeah. There's also a youtube audio recording from a 924 Gilman https://youtu.be/nCt0rSD5Ds8

Wow! I really wish they kept the harmonies for the 2010 version!!!!

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

Yeah the single came out on the 6th and the festival was on the 29th

It was played at Summer Sonic in Japan on August 7 and 8.

It was not released in Japan at that time...😅

The audience had never heard the song before, so the reaction was not so good, said someone who was there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, localinsomniac said:

ye it was out dude. That was the only song they played off AI. I few to the UK for that show. Lot's of covers were added into the set because 50 Cent got bottled off stage before them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Speaking of singles - I hope they pick a good one this time?

I feel like if you're putting AI level effort into the album then there must be a few songs that are very obviously single material, in which case I really would love for those to actually be the singles and not instead the 'Oh Love' of 1972 :)

Also preferably the first three singles aren't the first three tracks off the record... Was pretty weird listening to FOAMF and having to start at track 4 on release.

• Like 3

So back in 2000 I saw green day at warped tour and I was that kid who kept yelling "warning", I really wanted to hear something new and the album was about 2 and a half months away at that point. I didn't notice this, but my friend next to me said that Billie looked at me at one point and shook his head 😂 I also remember reading in an old interview that they said they weren't going to play new songs on that tour because they didn't think it was fair to the fans because they wouldn't be able to go out and buy the new song they just heard. They've definitely changed their way of thinking over the years but I feel like if they were going to play a new song they would have done it by now. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

So back in 2000 I saw green day at warped tour and I was that kid who kept yelling "warning", I really wanted to hear something new and the album was about 2 and a half months away at that point. I didn't notice this, but my friend next to me said that Billie looked at me at one point and shook his head 😂 I also remember reading in an old interview that they said they weren't going to play new songs on that tour because they didn't think it was fair to the fans because they wouldn't be able to go out and buy the new song they just heard. They've definitely changed their way of thinking over the years but I feel like if they were going to play a new song they would have done it by now. 

Have they ever debuted a new song by the end of a tour?

1 hour ago, PluckyJokerhead said:

Speaking of singles - I hope they pick a good one this time?

I feel like if you're putting AI level effort into the album then there must be a few songs that are very obviously single material, in which case I really would love for those to actually be the singles and not instead the 'Oh Love' of 1972 :)

Also preferably the first three singles aren't the first three tracks off the record... Was pretty weird listening to FOAMF and having to start at track 4 on release.

To be fair, Oh Love got a lot of radio play that summer before the iHeart incident. 
Also, what do you guys think of Cavallo’s critique of that song they were working on? “Tré had a perfect take believe it or not except for a couple of places. He was so on it until like bar 100. I never had a feeling it wasn’t doing something great.”

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm pretty sure for my first listen to FOAMF I still started on track 1 even though I had heard tracks 1-3 already. I think hearing the album in its full context is the best way to first experience a new album regardless of if you've heard some of the tracks already

I'd usually agree but when the songs you have to get through are Fire Ready Aim and Oh Yeah! - it was a bit harder for me than usual haha. Especially after hearing the first few seconds of Meet Me on the Roof when the album leaked.

On 9/20/2022 at 7:51 PM, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I know my personal well-being has 0% to do with the band's album release cycle, but man, I could really use some new music right now. 

Really feeling this right now. Hope everybody here is doing well.

Also - listening to this teaser again and those lead guitar parts are so 21st Century reminiscent, it might be the most Green Day sounding music I've heard since the trilogy/mayybe parts of RevRad. Still so so hyped and really just need some music to keep me going sooner rather than later lol

25 minutes ago, PluckyJokerhead said:

Really feeling this right now. Hope everybody here is doing well.

Also - listening to this teaser again and those lead guitar parts are so 21st Century reminiscent, it might be the most Green Day sounding music I've heard since the trilogy/mayybe parts of RevRad. Still so so hyped and really just need some music to keep me going sooner rather than later lol

What about that part at the end with CLA's keyboard loops?

And how about this one?

1 hour ago, PluckyJokerhead said:

Those keyboard parts are definitely just them fucking around haha, although would be so funny if something like that ended up on the record.

I've isolated audio from some of these teasers that have tracks playing over them (by grabbing the original tracks and flipping phase), particulary in the one where Billie drops his pick it makes it a lot easier to hear the song that's playing. Drum beat sounds very Whatsername-ish, and thinking about it I'm pretty sure that and the 'hotter the better' one are the same track since they're roughly the same tempo and it looks like he's wearing the same outfit before the guitar change. I'm thinking it might not be a coincidence that they used Whatsername above that clip in the teaser... 🤔

What about the one with Homecoming playing in the background? I wonder if that was hiding anything too

• Like 2