1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

4 hours ago, Sanity Loan said:

That typically only takes a week or two at most.

73e020f56c4a86221823bc32113b4316d2-25-be

Really ?  I know nothing about recording but a week seems like a very short time.

Incidentally, (for people that have experience around this sort of thing)what are the different stages in producing an album?

Writing 

Demoing

Practising 

Recording 

Mixing

Mastering 

Marketing and promotion

Album ?

What am i missing ?

3 minutes ago, cav9mm said:

Really ?  I know nothing about recording but a week seems like a very short time.

Incidentally, (for people that have experience around this sort of thing)what are the different stages in producing an album?

Writing 

Demoing

Practising 

Recording 

Mixing

Mastering 

Marketing and promotion

Album ?

What am i missing ?

TikTok teasing!!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

TikTok teasing!!!

That's part of the promotion

3 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

That's part of the promotion

True, but I was thinking of promotion as the time between the announcement and release

I want every single and album announcement until the end of their career to feature the words "THIS IS THE NEW"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, cav9mm said:

Writing 

Demoing

Practising 

Recording 

Mixing

Mastering 

Marketing and promotion

Album ?

What am i missing ?

Usually with a big band there’s physically production, and vinyl can take FOREVER these days which can be a mess. Usually doesn’t disrupt a digital single or three

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jankowski576 said:

Usually with a big band there’s physically production, and vinyl can take FOREVER these days which can be a mess. Usually doesn’t disrupt a digital single or three

Thank you.

Updated :

Writing 

Demoing

Practising 

Recording 

Mixing

Mastering 

Marketing and promotion

Physical Production

Album ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jankowski576 said:

Especially if they release special edition colored vinyl. I'm picturing a groovy early 70s color splatter

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

Especially if they release special edition colored vinyl. I'm picturing a groovy early 70s color splatter

2 hours ago, cav9mm said:

Edit : duplicate .

A bit off topic, but why don’t we have the option to delete replies, especially if we make mistakes like this?

21 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

ONE WEEK (OR TWO IDK)

Maybe 3

Or 4.

Could even be 5?

Or 6?

Or 7

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How times change. 39/Smooth album took 4 days to record. Dookie took 3months. Insomniac 6 months, American Idiot a full 12 months. Whereas FOAM took only 4 months. Your comprehensive list of considerations is really relevant and important as there is a hell of a difference in content between AI and FOAM?

9 minutes ago, pcj said:

How times change. 39/Smooth album took 4 days to record. Dookie took 3months. Insomniac 6 months, American Idiot a full 12 months. Whereas FOAM took only 4 months. Your comprehensive list of considerations is really relevant and important as there is a hell of a difference in content between AI and FOAM?

We got the first 1972 teaser last December. I wonder when recording actually started

1 minute ago, pcj said:

Tbf AI is more than twice as long as FOAMF, even disregarding the B-sides/bonus tracks on the album. But you can't really use "length of time an album took to record" as a metric to determine what quality should be expected from an album. For all we know those albums could've had big gaps within that time frame where they didn't really do anything. It's possible that during the AI recording period that they recorded for 4 months, took a 2 month break, then did another 4 months, then had a break for another month, then did 1 last month. We don't really know. And maybe the band spent the entire 4 months of recording FOAM on working on the album

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Tbf AI is more than twice as long as FOAMF, even disregarding the B-sides/bonus tracks on the album. But you can't really use "length of time an album took to record" as a metric to determine what quality should be expected from an album. For all we know those albums could've had big gaps within that time frame where they didn't really do anything. It's possible that during the AI recording period that they recorded for 4 months, took a 2 month break, then did another 4 months, then had a break for another month, then did 1 last month. We don't really know. And maybe the band spent the entire 4 months of recording FOAM on working on the album

AI was actually recorded twice and was def the most preproduction they ever had done at the time, (eventually topped by 21CB) - they did the whole thing at Jingletown and then did the whole thing again at Ocean Way

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jankowski576 said:

AI was actually recorded twice and was def the most preproduction they ever had done at the time, (eventually topped by 21CB) - they did the whole thing at Jingletown and then did the whole thing again at Ocean Way

Did they do the same with 21CB? I remember hearing the 21CB leaked demo at least was recorded at Jingletown

22 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Did they do the same with 21CB? I remember hearing the 21CB leaked demo at least was recorded at Jingletown

Those demos were recorded all over - a good amount were done at jingletown though

9 hours ago, Jankowski576 said:

Why was the album recorded twice? Or was the first recording just demos?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flashback said:

Why was the album recorded twice? Or was the first recording just demos?

I think they may be referring to C&V as being the first recording, unless this is a whole other thing that I've never heard about.

Can anyone elaborate on this or is it just C&V?

51 minutes ago, Red said:

I think they may be referring to C&V as being the first recording, unless this is a whole other thing that I've never heard about.

Can anyone elaborate on this or is it just C&V?

Prior to recording, Green Day rented rehearsal space in Oakland. Armstrong invited Cavallo to attend the sessions and help guide their writing processes. Cavallo encouraged the idea of a concept album, recalling a conversation the two had a decade prior, in which Armstrong expressed his desire for their career to have a "Beatles-like arc to their creativity." During the sessions at Studio 880, Green Day spent their days writing material and would stay up late, drinking and discussing music. The band set up a pirate radio station from which it would broadcast jam sessions, along with occasional prank calls. The band demoed the album sufficiently so that it would be completely written and sequenced before they went to record.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idiot

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Prior to recording, Green Day rented rehearsal space in Oakland. Armstrong invited Cavallo to attend the sessions and help guide their writing processes. Cavallo encouraged the idea of a concept album, recalling a conversation the two had a decade prior, in which Armstrong expressed his desire for their career to have a "Beatles-like arc to their creativity." During the sessions at Studio 880, Green Day spent their days writing material and would stay up late, drinking and discussing music. The band set up a pirate radio station from which it would broadcast jam sessions, along with occasional prank calls. The band demoed the album sufficiently so that it would be completely written and sequenced before they went to record.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idiot

So basically this "recording the album twice" talk is just them recording demos? They do that for every album, don't they?

9 minutes ago, Red said:

So basically this "recording the album twice" talk is just them recording demos? They do that for every album, don't they?

Plus we got the Demolicious album from the Trilogy sessions!!!

• Like 1