1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

Any chance they didn't especially get a choice? I mean Crush are still affiliated with Warner aren't they? I had a theory a while back but it's probably nonsense that Crush take on bands that have had issues. Lorde, PATD, Marina, Sia as well as GD (Billie's meltdown and taking his guitar to that car on the RevRad tour). Haven't even FOB been hit by scandal even if it turned out not to be true? 

20 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Any chance they didn't especially get a choice? I mean Crush are still affiliated with Warner aren't they? I had a theory a while back but it's probably nonsense that Crush take on bands that have had issues. Lorde, PATD, Marina, Sia as well as GD (Billie's meltdown and taking his guitar to that car on the RevRad tour). Haven't even FOB been hit by scandal even if it turned out not to be true? 

They had a choice not to fire Pat M. I remember some interview where they said they were originally planning to self manage (which they’ve tried in the past and realized it was a full time job) and eventually they were advised to try with Crush and they did. I think it’s possible Crush takes on bands that have had issues, but I don’t think Green Day was a liability by the time they signed with them. They had another album out and were touring and most likely doing well business-wise.

I just hope 1972 has a consistent vibe or feel to it. Most of their albums nail a specific feeling and sound. FOAM felt all over the place like a compilation.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jankowski576 said:

Their old manager quit after the RevRad guitar incident I believe

Would he quit after that when he didn’t until then? It was relatively mild

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Red said:

100% this.

I have been very vocal about not necessarily "hating" the album and to it's credit, the 2nd half of it is actually pretty decent. I honestly don't think Green Day have ever put out a "bad" album in general, but I think most of us can agree that it's a bad "Green Day" album.

I mean, look at the quality of their discography from the very beginning compared to many other popular artists. They're very consistent with putting out good music and I mean all of it, not just the singles... but I strongly believe that compared to pretty much every other Green Day album (including side projects) FOAM is the lowest quality record the band has ever put out and the attitude that they displayed during this era wasn't necessarily doing it any favours. While I am ultimately glad I ended up with a few new Green Day songs that I really like, it probably should have been a side project instead in my honest opinion.

I agree so much with this and what @Clockwise and @The Grohl went on to say.  I really like FOAM, is it their best record, no but I love that they keep doing new stuff.  If anything, it feels like it has a kind of disposable feel to it which was completely in keeping with time of it’s release which Inthink they captured really well but with the pandemic a lot of people have re-evaluated life.  If we were waiting for the 6th version of AI we’d be pretty passed off! I don’t understand the seeming accepted theory that the band were not keen on the record themselves, I never felt or saw that.  I’m excited for new music but will be unhappy if we have to wait 5 months between first single and album drop, I don’t know who came up with that but it strikes me they should learn a little about people!  

• Like 3

Wasn't it thought that the cancellation of the Glasgow show and the incident in Portugal made GD fire him? They signed with Crush only a couple days after the Subaru incident (or that's when it was publicly announced).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Would he quit after that when he didn’t until then? It was relatively mild

I think it was just the straw that broke the camels back

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Montclare said:

Wasn't it thought that the cancellation of the Glasgow show and the incident in Portugal made GD fire him? They signed with Crush only a couple days after the Subaru incident (or that's when it was publicly announced).

True, I forgot about that. If those two events were the reason for changing management, it would give them about a month to decide a negotiate a new deal… which seems very quick. I think they were looking for a way to return to stadiums and if PM wasn’t offering solutions they started considering other options and these events on tour certainly didn’t help PM’s case.

It’s just baffling to me that they first wanted to self-manage (assumably to make sure they’re as hands on as possible and making sure they get an individualized approach from whoever they hire to work for them) and then changed course and went with a bigger company with a more corporate approach.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jankowski576 said:

Their old manager quit after the RevRad guitar incident I believe

"Guitar incident"? And he didn't quit he was fired after several back to back media mishaps on the road

17 minutes ago, Montclare said:

It was Spain but you are correct. Those were the two PR nightmares that precipitated his firing.  Billie beating up a car with a guitar? That's just a day at the office.

7 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

True, I forgot about that. If those two events were the reason for changing management, it would give them about a month to decide a negotiate a new deal… which seems very quick. I think they were looking for a way to return to stadiums and if PM wasn’t offering solutions they started considering other options and these events on tour certainly didn’t help PM’s case.

It’s just baffling to me that they first wanted to self-manage (assumably to make sure they’re as hands on as possible and individualized, they’d probably have to hire people to their own company) and then changed course and went with a bigger company with a more corporate approach.

I think the decision was made in such a difficult time and in the heat of the moment that I could see Billie saying "Fuck this we can do it ourselves!" but then cooler heads prevailed and Crush was presented to them. I believe it was their idea to do a stadium tour because it is one of the few things they had yet to do in their accomplished career and they needed a manager with enough compatible bands on their roster that arranging it would be easy.  So Crush made sense to them at the time and they were under pressure to make a decision in the middle of a world tour when these transitions normally do not happen.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, legendary said:

Wait, SWMRS broke up? I didn't know that. There's was a statement?

There was a silence that spoke for itself. At the point where they were, they didn’t really need to make an official statement. It was over

• Like 3

I just don't think anything is quite as it seems in the press and should be taken with a grain of salt

• Like 2

Ha, I had almost forgotten about that incident. Yeah I didn't think it was that big of a deal 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I think they're the same incident. It happened at one of the shows on the Summer North American RevRad Tour 

I think it's here

This shows it better

https://fb.watch/f3tYfT_W4J/

Can't believe this flew under my radar. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 3

I'm not comfortable saying FOAMF is a good album. It's definitely a bad Green Day album. Saying it's a bad album though, I can't say whether I agree with that or not. What I will say though is I can't blame people for thinking it is a bad album. There are definitely tracks there which to this day I just can't understand the band making and saying "Yeah this is fine, put it on the album". It has good tracks but even these tracks are tracks that aren't that good by Green Day standards. Even these tracks have at least one element that makes them not as good as they could be whether that be feeling too short/incomplete, lacking originality, lacking good production, random high pitched vocals

I don't think my hopes for 1972 are as high as some people here but I think it will probably be better than FOAMF. It'll probably be a RevRad type album, an album which is solid but doesn't reach the peaks of AI or 21CB. Which is ok, not many albums can reach those peaks

I consider 1994-2009 to be the golden era of Green Day. It's Green Day doing what they do best. I think during that time, they were very particular about the quality of each song, every song they released had to meet a certain bar to be released. Since the trilogy, it seems like that bar has been lowered as there have been a number of songs that I think don't meet that threshold

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I'm not comfortable saying FOAMF is a good album. It's definitely a bad Green Day album. Saying it's a bad album though, I can't say whether I agree with that or not. What I will say though is I can't blame people for thinking it is a bad album. There are definitely tracks there which to this day I just can't understand the band making and saying "Yeah this is fine, put it on the album". It has good tracks but even these tracks are tracks that aren't that good by Green Day standards. Even these tracks have at least one element that makes them not as good as they could be whether that be feeling too short/incomplete, lacking originality, lacking good production, random high pitched vocals

I don't think my hopes for 1972 are as high as some people here but I think it will probably be better than FOAMF. It'll probably be a RevRad type album, an album which is solid but doesn't reach the peaks of AI or 21CB. Which is ok, not many albums can reach those peaks

I consider 1994-2009 to be the golden era of Green Day. It's Green Day doing what they do best. I think during that time, they were very particular about the quality of each song, every song they released had to meet a certain bar to be released. Since the trilogy, it seems like that bar has been lowered as there have been a number of songs that I think don't meet that threshold

But don't forget, Rob Cavallo is back on board for this one!!!!

I have a feeling we could be getting an announcement in September if this cycle ends up being similar to FOAM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clockwise said:

It's very funny to me how many people equate their own opinions on the music to the level of skill, time, or care the band puts into creating it. It comes off a little bit insulting when people insinuate they don't try as hard anymore just because they don't like the songs. Is it not more realistic to think your taste and the band's taste has simply diverged over time?

I mean it's not really a matter of them not trying as hard anymore. I think they do still try hard and I've not said otherwise. The trilogy was possibly the most effort they put into a project. It's just with how many songs were on the trilogy, it would be unreasonable to expect every song to be on the same level as all their prior albums. RevRad was largely a return to form, at least in terms of consistency as the vast majority of tracks on that album easily exceed that bar of quality with the exception of maybe Youngblood and Ordinary World. FOAMF is the only album they've released where I think a significant portion of the album doesn't exceed the expected quality of a Green Day song. Idk if it needs to be said but of course this is just my opinion.

• Like 3