1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

30 minutes ago, michael1989 said:

FF isn't rock but MGK and Yungblud are?

Venturing into at times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Least passionate green day fan 

Excuse me? I have every Green Day related thing I can get my hands on. Their music save’s lives. 

Crazy that the teasers stopped again. Thought we were getting closer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Actually Maneskin are pretty inspiring they’re pretty popular as a rock resurgence act. It always surprises me that they seemed to leap over the Struts in popularity when I think they’re a really deserving band too. I always say in any other era the Struts would be filling arenas. 

I was so happy when Maneskin won Eurovision. It‘s great to see that rock got more recognition and airplay in major radio stations.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 10:53 AM, The Grohl said:

It's interesting because I was having a recent conversation with some co-workers about music and I brought up Green Day. They were surprised that they're still around. One of them said they haven't heard a green day song in a minute. The other thought the reason they played the metro was because they can't fill large shows, which I don't agree with. Their points were Green Day doesn't feel super relevant. I don't know if I can agree with it, but I do agree that they're not in the mainstream consciousnesses anymore. If they drop another fantastic album maybe they might get there again, but really as long as the boys are happy, I'm a happy fan.

It just surprised me when I run into people who are shocked that Green Day is still making music because to me they feel like the biggest band in the world! And then when you go outside the fandom, you realize well not everyone feels that way. And it's so strange because when I list off bands I love and include green day I feel that's when I get most judgement. I could say oh wow I love Nsync and that doesn't bat an eye , but bring up Green Day and some folks feel like oh...okay you like that kind of music, Just interesting things I've been noticing lately, especially at work where just about everyone is 5-10 years younger than me.

But I have met some fellow fans at work so it's been nice seeing both sides of the coin.

I very rarely find humans in real life to talk music and when I do, it's absolutely the best feeling.  

But I do get the sense that almost nobody at my job would know who Green Day are, aside from one 20-something woman that may sing parts of Good Riddance or Broken Dreams....and she probably heard those AT work.

My cousin likes rock music though and they praised BANG BANG when it came, which is the only instance of real world Green Day praise I've ever heard.

Actually, once I had my windows down and some dude on the sidewalk gave me the rock hands for Father of All.  😄 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Crazy that the teasers stopped again. Thought we were getting closer.

Billie had 1972 painted on his back for the Outside Lands show last week!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

I'm curious if the old footage they're posting on TikTok is related to this at all. With that plus the whole "1972" thing, it seems we might get something that is reflective of their whole career. I don't know what shape that would take, but have to imagine the two things are related. 

This teaser has such a nostalgic vibe to it!!!

19 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

Oh, and the "2,000 Light Years Away" AI-driven stem creation thing.

You mean the overall sound of the teasers?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, billy1986 said:

Excuse me? I have every Green Day related thing I can get my hands on. Their music save’s lives. 

Pretty sure they were just being funny and really saying you are very much so a passionate fan. 😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jengd said:

Well, slightly on the light side.

Wait are you saying FF are on the light side of rock? Like have you listened to most of FF's stuff?

Regarding the grammys, if they're going to continue to not air the rock awards, I'm just not gonna care about them at all. The only grammys Green Day has a chance to win at this point are in the rock category, they're not going to win album/song of the year or anything. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sanity Loan said:

I'm curious if the old footage they're posting on TikTok is related to this at all. With that plus the whole "1972" thing, it seems we might get something that is reflective of their whole career. I don't know what shape that would take, but have to imagine the two things are related. Oh, and the "2,000 Light Years Away" AI-driven stem creation thing.

Maybe a Green Day discography box set spanning their whole career 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JDA said:

That would be the kind of thing that would be released after a band’s breakup. I think this most likely would be a documentary movie, similar to The Beatles’ Get Back miniseries, and the original 1970 Let it Be cut, featuring the 1972 recording sessions and rare film and photos from Billie, Mike, and Tré’s childhoods.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

By the way, we're on page 190. Does anyone think we'll have an announcement by page 200?

How are we suppose to know lol

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

That would be the kind of thing that would be released after a band’s breakup. I think this most likely would be a documentary movie, similar to The Beatles’ Get Back miniseries, and the original 1970 Let it Be cut, featuring the 1972 recording sessions and rare film and photos from Billie, Mike, and Tré’s childhoods.

If so, that would be the best outcome for me.
I would love to see an in-depth documentary, preferably with interviews with their families. Especially interviews with Billie's mom and Tre's dad.
They are elderly and I hope they don't miss the opportunity to hear about their childhood and early Green Day from a parental perspective.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDA said:

They already released one

6 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

2023 is still 5 months away

This. We thought we were close in February, then in April, then in July, etc etc you get it

Unfortunately we'll get it when we get it and im sure when we do we'll know for certain. Ya dig?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

By the way, we're on page 190. Does anyone think we'll have an announcement by page 200?

5 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Wait are you saying FF are on the light side of rock? Like have you listened to most of FF's stuff?

Regarding the grammys, if they're going to continue to not air the rock awards, I'm just not gonna care about them at all. The only grammys Green Day has a chance to win at this point are in the rock category, they're not going to win album/song of the year or anything. 

I definitely consider FF to be a rock band.

I wouldn't consider them to be light rock at all.. Maybe if we're comparing them to something like death metal, then yeah... but nah. They're definitely a rock band in my book.

11 hours ago, Gwen Stacy said:

Good jazz is still being made. Rock will probably just become more niche over time, but I don’t see it dying out entirely as a genre

It's 100% not going to die as a genre, it has far too passionate of an audience for that. I agree that it's just going continue becoming more niche.. but deep down I do hope to see it make a big comeback in popularity one day. 

Something I like to see is that many artists who are more known in other genres seem to be giving it some love now.

2 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Calling it now, announcement when page count reaches 1972.

Let's GOOOO!

• Like 2

I noticed a pattern with their teasers. They always seem to be a month apart, with the exception of June since they were on tour. They posted a teaser on 5/18, and then the next 2 on 7/18 and 7/20, which means we could be getting another one within a week from now!!!

Sorry ya’ll, Rock n’ Roll died in the 80’s and it ain’t coming back.