1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

14 hours ago, Alan86 said:

I think in 2005 they had about 7 nominations but only won 1 award. Lost in 3 or 4 categories to U2 if I remember correctly. 7 nominations in 1 year is really good but I agree didn’t win nearly enough to say they dominated.

Yea they had 6 nominations in 2005 then 2006 they had one for Blvd which they won so 7 noms for the album. The next was the saints with u2 which lost. That's true that it was the vmas that they dominated walking away with 7 wins. 

Side note,who cares about awards and shit? It's the new fan base post 2004 that cares for some reason. Like everyone's in the band. For years people hated on green day for selling out but when they actually do everyone wants them to do it over And over again. Tre made a bong out of his Grammy for dookie that's how much it meant back then and that's what it means now.its means nothing all it does is makes billies head bigger

21 minutes ago, Montclare said:

But look who gets nominated for best rock album- 2021 includes Foo Fighters (who won), Paul McCartney, AC/DC, and Chris Cornell. Other recent nominees include Weezer, Alice in Chains, Metallica, FOB, Blink 182, and Muse. All of whom are contemporaries of Green Day or even older.

It still hurts that they weren't even nominated for RevRad since I love that album so much. I want it all. The awards, the sales, the airplay, and a good album.

I think that’s the problem actually, most of these either have more of an estabilished legendary status than GD do or in case of FOB, are currently popular/play music that’s closer to current mainstream.

Agreed - RevRad deserved more recognition than it got, but at least it did relatively well, the singles got airplay and I never saw a bad review except maybe Fantano.

• Like 2

Plus they still appear on the charts of most streamed rock bands on streaming platforms 😉

• Like 1

Just having your song in a movie can help you gain popularity. But it's all rap or pop now. 

When the last time you heard a Green Day song in a movie? I'm talking a live action movie not animation.

By the way 99 revolutions and Holy Toledo were in the end credit so that's not very relevant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

I'd rather a good obscure album than a bad popular one. SDAR is one of their best and no one knows about it. Doesn't make it less fun.

I know those guys SAID they were Green Day, but it' debatable.  

• Haha 3

Hip hop does seem to be drying up in quality, but honestly rock can have itself to blame for the lack of popularity too. Seems like no one is really making a statement or channeling a ton of energy - at least in the mainstream rock genre

• Like 1

Trilogy lyrics over FOAM instrumentals.  Including the hand claps. 

Perfection.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, The Grohl said:

It's interesting because I was having a recent conversation with some co-workers about music and I brought up Green Day. They were surprised that they're still around. One of them said they haven't heard a green day song in a minute. The other thought the reason they played the metro was because they can't fill large shows, which I don't agree with. Their points were Green Day doesn't feel super relevant. I don't know if I can agree with it, but I do agree that they're not in the mainstream consciousnesses anymore. If they drop another fantastic album maybe they might get there again, but really as long as the boys are happy, I'm a happy fan.

It just surprised me when I run into people who are shocked that Green Day is still making music because to me they feel like the biggest band in the world! And then when you go outside the fandom, you realize well not everyone feels that way. And it's so strange because when I list off bands I love and include green day I feel that's when I get most judgement. I could say oh wow I love Nsync and that doesn't bat an eye , but bring up Green Day and some folks feel like oh...okay you like that kind of music, Just interesting things I've been noticing lately, especially at work where just about everyone is 5-10 years younger than me.

But I have met some fellow fans at work so it's been nice seeing both sides of the coin.

Yeah, they played The Metro cuz they can’t fill a bigger venue. That’s why they headlined Lollapalooza that same weekend 😂👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Just having your song in a movie can help you gain popularity. But it's all rap or pop now. 

When the last time you heard a Green Day song in a movie? I'm talking a live action movie not animation.

By the way 99 revolutions and Holy Toledo were in the end credit so that's not very relevant.

I remember hearing 21 Guns being a pretty major song in Transformers 2, but that was more than 10 years ago and Ordinary World is more of an indie film, so I don't think that really counts. 

14 hours ago, jengd said:

I think it’s a mix of the lack of interest in rock music on radio, music in general on tv and just the fact that they aren’t new, young things anymore.  

100% agreed.

I hear a GD song on rock radio channels from time to time, but I can't remember the last time I heard one on a standard mainstream channel. (Was either Bang Bang or X-Mas Time of the Year.) Mainstream rock outside of dedicated rock stations seems to be pretty much dead now. It's getting so bad that even dedicated rock stations in recent video games such as Forza Horizon 5 has about 3 or 4 songs that I'd actually consider to be rock and two of them are Foo Fighters. The rest is very debatable.

It's honestly sad to see after living through what I'd consider to be the peak of rock.

• Like 2

I like the FF but when they and Coldplay are considered rock…well where do we go from here?! I’m hoping the likes of MGK and Yungblud, whatever you think of them, can bring some light back.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

FF isn't rock? Well pinch me. Coldplay definitively isn't.

Well, slightly on the light side.

Actually Maneskin are pretty inspiring they’re pretty popular as a rock resurgence act. It always surprises me that they seemed to leap over the Struts in popularity when I think they’re a really deserving band too. I always say in any other era the Struts would be filling arenas. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Red said:

It's honestly sad to see after living through what I'd consider to be the peak of rock.

Good jazz is still being made. Rock will probably just become more niche over time, but I don’t see it dying out entirely as a genre

• Like 4