1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

2 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

I think we already got that, just not 100% literally.

The only time they mentioned Nixon was in 21CB, “Born into Nixon, I was raised in bell!”

9 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

The only time they mentioned Nixon was in 21CB, “Born into Nixon, I was raised in bell!”

Welp, it's confirmed.  

Christian was a young Nixon.   He was born into him SELF, the entire album makes perfect sense now.    Completely linear in every way.   Man.

:) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Huh?

I thought it was common knowledge that AI/21CB characters and stories were largely inspired by Billie’s life.

6 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

yes, that’s true. For some reason Nixon hasn’t got his spotlight yet.

• Like 1

Just putting a theory out there... In the video from August 6 where Billie Joe is wearing the top with 1972 on the back of it there is a book on the table. The book is called "too fast to live, too young to die." The book features post punk graphics from 1976-1986. Only the "too fast to live" part of the title can be seen on the video. Maybe "too fast to live" is the name of a song. Or the album artwork could be an image from within the book. It could even just be them teasing that they are returning to their roots because it literally covers the period up until sweet children were formed.... Either one of these or I've wasted a chunk of time this afternoon 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Alba88geo said:

Just putting a theory out there... In the video from August 6 where Billie Joe is wearing the top with 1972 on the back of it there is a book on the table. The book is called "too fast to live, too young to die." The book features post punk graphics from 1976-1986. Only the "too fast to live" part of the title can be seen on the video. Maybe "too fast to live" is the name of a song. Or the album artwork could be an image from within the book. It could even just be them teasing that they are returning to their roots because it literally covers the period up until sweet children were formed.... Either one of these or I've wasted a chunk of time this afternoon 

It’s possible, but then people in the thread would be comparing it to Too Dumb to Die. I thought maybe Tré was teasing a lyric in his post on Billie’s birthday when he said, “Here’s lookin’ at you kid!”

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Flashback said:

Doesn‘t matter when it will be released but I‘m really looking forward to the official announcement and the first release and to discussing the new songs here with all of you ❤️

In my opinion, there isn‘t a single „bad“ GD album, every album has its own aspects that can be loved, so I‘m just happy that there will be some new GD songs sooner or later

I really want this to be released before the Grammys cut off date!! I really want to see them dominate the show again!!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I really want this to be released before the Grammys cut off date!! I really want to see them dominate the show again!!!

Last year that was through the end of September, so that's not going to happen for the 2023 Grammys.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, nopride84 said:

When did they ever dominate the Grammys? Theyve won 5 since 1995 and not one since 2011 for the musical album. Also one in 2010 2006 2005 and 1995. Hardly dominating the Grammys. Just saying.

I think in 2005 they had about 7 nominations but only won 1 award. Lost in 3 or 4 categories to U2 if I remember correctly. 7 nominations in 1 year is really good but I agree didn’t win nearly enough to say they dominated.

On 8/9/2022 at 6:21 PM, legendary said:

I like It

1972.jpg

Not terrible but not all that inspired either imo. I kinda want something like "Exile on Main St." 

1 hour ago, nopride84 said:

When did they ever dominate the Grammys? Theyve won 5 since 1995 and not one since 2011 for the musical album. Also one in 2010 2006 2005 and 1995. Hardly dominating the Grammys. Just saying.

1 hour ago, Alan86 said:

I think in 2005 they had about 7 nominations but only won 1 award. Lost in 3 or 4 categories to U2 if I remember correctly. 7 nominations in 1 year is really good but I agree didn’t win nearly enough to say they dominated.

I thought for sure they won a Grammy for American Idiot. They actually dominated the MTV VMAs that year

1 hour ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

Not terrible but not all that inspired either imo. I kinda want something like "Exile on Main St." 

I posted this maybe 50 pages back, but I'll post it again. I'd like to see a groovy 70s style font

gvtime-regular.png

retro-cool-regular.png

abstract-groovy.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

I posted this maybe 50 pages back, but I'll post it again. I'd like to see a groovy 70s style font

gvtime-regular.png

retro-cool-regular.png

abstract-groovy.png

Top one, then bottom one and them middle.

I wonder if 1972 will drop in exactly 59 minutes here in my time zone.  

Oh well, at least there's a new Eve6 banger out.  

4 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

gvtime-regular.png

retro-cool-regular.png

abstract-groovy.png

Wouldn't mind the bottom one. Top one could be good too sure why not. The middle one gives me more 60s vibes but thats just me being pedantic 

On 8/9/2022 at 6:21 PM, legendary said:

I like It

1972.jpg

I think this feels more like a FOB cover to me 

My ideal album cover for 1972 personally? A newspaper article from that year sometime. The words Green, Day, and 1972 all highlighted (in that order obviously.) 

8 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I thought for sure they won a Grammy for American Idiot. They actually dominated the MTV VMAs that year

They won the grammy for Best rock album for American Idiot in 2005. You can see all their wins/nominations here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Green_Day#Grammy_Awards

They've not had any nominations since 2014 and no wins since 2011

I feel like RevRad might have been the last chance for them to have any nomination in the Grammys but it was released a few weeks too late to be eligible for the 2017 Grammys

FOAMF had no chance. 1972 might have a chance but if it's released in early 2023, that might be too early for it to do well regardless of how well received the album is

• Like 2