1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

On 8/4/2022 at 10:13 AM, GDFan2019 said:

I'm assuming the SongsForAssholes account was full of session photos and videos, because they kept it private? Anybody here ever get to see what that account was all about?

Some here suspected it was the working title for their last album, but they ultimately went with FOAM.

Since they seem to be taking a lot of inspiration from American Idiot for this, what if it’s another rock opera? With characters based on Billie and his family and events based on things that happened in his childhood!!! 

I imagine this one to be another song about his dad

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Since they seem to be taking a lot of inspiration from American Idiot for this, what if it’s another rock opera? With characters based on Billie and his family and events based on things that happened in his childhood!!! 

I imagine this one to be another song about his dad

Wishful thinking. This album is more likely to be closer to RevRad than American Idiot. Which is fine if it's good, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Wishful thinking. This album is more likely to be closer to RevRad than American Idiot. Which is fine if it's good, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high

RevRad was good, but they kinda played it safe and produced it themselves. But now they’re working with Rob Cavallo again

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Im.a.basket.case said:

I think this new album will be something special

I'm hoping they get it out before the Grammys cut off date!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

I'm hoping they get it out before the Grammys cut off date!!!!

Is it possible the release date could change based on how good Warner thinks it is? Like I heard February was the time of year you released albums you had low confidence in (similar to how movie studios work). Fall would mean they expect it to do very well? Is there any truth to that?

Green Day’s albums typically came out in Spring or Fall before (though I think Dookie was February but they never expected it to do so well). FOAM was the first February release since Dookie? I thought that was a sign they were dumping the record with low expectations. Or maybe those rules don’t apply anymore but awards season should still be a thing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Is it possible the release date could change based on how good Warner thinks it is? Like I heard February was the time of year you released albums you had low confidence in (similar to how movie studios work). Fall would mean they expect it to do very well? Is there any truth to that?

Green Day’s albums typically came out in Spring or Fall before (though I think Dookie was February but they never expected it to do so well). FOAM was the first February release since Dookie? I thought that was a sign they were dumping the record with low expectations. Or maybe those rules don’t apply anymore but awards season should still be a thing.

If Billie's 1972 vest is a sign we're just days away from an announcement, I think we could get a single by the end of the month or September at the latest, and the album in early October

2 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

LMFAO!!!

• Like 2

I wonder why he wore that on the back of his jacket. Nothing 1972 related happened at the concert.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DookieLukie said:

I wonder why he wore that on the back of his jacket. Nothing 1972 related happened at the concert.

Possibly to hype people up and get casual Green Day fans interested. After seeing him wear that jacket, I'm positive we'll be getting something else by October. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

That’s how it worked, traditionally. Idk if it matters much anymore. The Christmas market is always a thing, but if they’d expect people to order vinyls for that, it would be about time to roll it out. Other than that, I think it would make sense to schedule album releases to go with a touring schedule since that’s where the money is coming from. Depending on whether or not they want to make a leg of a tour in the fall, the album might come out in the fall or at the start of the next year with a spring/summer tour following it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I heard February was the time of year you released albums you had low confidence in (similar to how movie studios work). Fall would mean they expect it to do very well? Is there any truth to that?

Green Day’s albums typically came out in Spring or Fall before (though I think Dookie was February but they never expected it to do so well). FOAM was the first February release since Dookie? I thought that was a sign they were dumping the record with low expectations. 

Thats an interesting point 

2 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Maybe it'll be in the "making of 1972" documentary lol. Like a quick cut away scene

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

I swear I thought I heard this one before. It's not on TikTok, but maybe it was in one of their Instagram stories?

Yeah it sounds like the third teaser on Instagram 👍🏼

1 hour ago, Miko said:

Dunno what that sound clip is all about, but it doesn't sound Green Day.

I mean....but it does....very similar to Trilogy sounding songs.

• Like 1