1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

13 hours ago, purplebenny said:

Tour wise

would it not make more sense to wait til 2024 and do an AI anniversary combined with 1972?

isnt every gd show somehow an AI anniversary show xD

i dont see the need for a real anniversary tour, they could dodge some often-played AI songs and change them with less-played AI songs (letterbomb, homecoming)

it will be interesting to see what they do next, how much energy is left after 2 years of hellamega shows, new album should mean new (world) tour, maybe they are ready to go immediately or maybe they want to have a break for some months, if the new lp is mostly done they could still take their break, release it a bit later etc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alf said:

I rather hear Nimrod, Insomniac, Kerplunk, 39, Warning and most any of the other albuns in full live, then American Idiot which has been the base of the setlist since the release

Exactly. If they want to progress as a band, which I actually think they do, they need to move on from AI. Now is not the time to devote an entire year to the album that still makes up a huge chunk of their setlists.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

Exactly. If they want to progress as a band, which I actually think they do, they need to move on from AI. Now is not the time to devote an entire year to the album that still makes up a huge chunk of their setlists.

Because now they’ll have to edit the setlist to make room for 1972 songs. And I’m sure they’ll do it because they’re clearly proud of this one!!!

On 7/21/2022 at 2:13 AM, pacejunkie punk said:

I took Tre’s comment to be a joke about CLA’s toy keyboard playing, like suggesting that’s the record. You can hear Billie laughing in the background. 

All of a sudden I'm thinking back to November...

On 11/6/2021 at 7:58 PM, PluckyJokerhead said:

Tre posted a photo of a mic'd up baby sized piano today so I think it's safe to say the nursery rhyme album is officially coming

• Haha 2

On 11/6/2021 at 3:58 PM, PluckyJokerhead said:

Tre posted a photo of a mic'd up baby sized piano today so I think it's safe to say the nursery rhyme album is officially coming

33 minutes ago, PluckyJokerhead said:

All of a sudden I'm thinking back to November...

Was it an Instagram Story? Because I just looked at his Instagram and I don't see anything

Dookie bass lines.

American Idiot guitar shredding.

Insomniac drums.

FOAM lyrics, vocals and of course clapping, clapping, clapping.

• Like 1

I would be very happy about some Trilogy, 21CB and RevRad songs too, but if they want to fill stadiums, they need American Idiot songs. We have to be that realistic.

• Like 4

I don't see them doing a whole AI anniversary tour where they play the full album in its entirety for the whole tour. But I'm completely fine with them doing a few shows where they play the full album and have some space for some other songs. Would I prefer to see them play songs from their less appreciated albums that have only been played a handful of times, if at all and haven't been played for over a decade? Yeah, I would. But regardless of whether or not we want it, I think most people going to a Green Day show would be more than happy to experience that

I think you all need to realize that there are so many different people coming to shows who want to hear so many Green Day songs live, but to keep the most people happy, playing the hits is what's going to satisfy most of the audience and at least if they play American Idiot in full, there will be some tracks played that maybe not everyone in the audience would have heard or that haven't been played in a long time like Whatsername, She's A Rebel, Homecoming etc. Like is that really any worse than them playing a largely unchanged setlist for the last decade (apart from adding a few new songs every album cycle and then dropping them for the next tour)

3 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't see them doing a whole AI anniversary tour where they play the full album in its entirety for the whole tour. But I'm completely fine with them doing a few shows where they play the full album and have some space for some other songs. Would I prefer to see them play songs from their less appreciated albums that have only been played a handful of times, if at all and haven't been played for over a decade? Yeah, I would. But regardless of whether or not we want it, I think most people going to a Green Day show would be more than happy to experience that

I think you all need to realize that there are so many different people coming to shows who want to hear so many Green Day songs live, but to keep the most people happy, playing the hits is what's going to satisfy most of the audience and at least if they play American Idiot in full, there will be some tracks played that maybe not everyone in the audience would have heard or that haven't been played in a long time like Whatsername, She's A Rebel, Homecoming etc. Like is that really any worse than them playing a largely unchanged setlist for the last decade (apart from adding a few new songs every album cycle and then dropping them for the next tour)

Exactly.

At this point, American Idiot in full would only add an extra 25-30 minutes or so to the set, which let's face it, isn't a lot of extra time needed to potentially do it. The time they normally spend at the end of JOS not playing the song is probably almost enough time to swap out for including She's A Rebel.

Of course I'd love to see some deep, deep cuts from the discography but people need to realise that American Idiot is probably the best and most iconic album the band has ever done (It's not my favourite anymore, but best doesn't have to equal favourite). Not doing an anniversary celebration in some way would be a huge missed opportunity for the band, and choosing to do one doesn't have to mean that they can't also support their new album, nor does it mean that it has to last a long time.
They could bring back the album art (without the FOAM shit all over it) and play some songs that not only I, but a massive portion of their fanbase would want to hear, like seriously guys, when was the last time they played Whatsername live? Someone, anyone tell me you don't want to hear that song live.

10 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Because now they’ll have to edit the setlist to make room for 1972 songs. And I’m sure they’ll do it because they’re clearly proud of this one!!!

Assuming this new album will have the usual 2 or 3 singles, they'd probably only need to make room for about 5 songs, lose the covers and KFAD (I still can't believe they brought that back) and you've got yourself more than enough time to do the new songs, unless BJ suddenly decides he likes long ones again now and has a couple on the new record, but we'll cross that bridge when/if we ever get to it.

Doing a shared American Idiot/1972 tour would not only satisfy a lot of old fans (20 years has gone so fast...) but be great advertisement for the new album. It's a win/win situation, not only for the band, but the fans too. Even if they don't do the anniversary/new album as a whole tour thing, it's still a win/win, and if it ends up being big enough, who'd say no to potentially having a new concert film? That would be especially great if they squeezed in a couple of trilogy songs and Bang Bang. Always Bang Bang.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves, the point is, nothing bad would come from doing it, only good, and that's not even taking into consideration the jump start in hype that the next (next) album could have because of the potential success of hypothetical tour.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Red said:

Assuming this new album will have the usual 2 or 3 singles, they'd probably only need to make room for about 5 songs, lose the covers and KFAD (I still can't believe they brought that back) and you've got yourself more than enough time to do the new songs, unless BJ suddenly decides he likes long ones again now and has a couple on the new record, but we'll cross that bridge when/if we ever get to it.

Doing a shared American Idiot/1972 tour would not only satisfy a lot of old fans (20 years has gone so fast...) but be great advertisement for the new album. It's a win/win situation, not only for the band, but the fans too. Even if they don't do the anniversary/new album as a whole tour thing, it's still a win/win, and if it ends up being big enough, who'd say no to potentially having a new concert film? That would be especially great if they squeezed in a couple of trilogy songs and Bang Bang. Always Bang Bang.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves, the point is, nothing bad would come from doing it, only good, and that's not even taking into consideration the jump start in hype that the next (next) album could have because of the potential success of hypothetical tour.

And of course they’ll definitely start the promotion with secret shows where they play 1972 from start to finish

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

And of course they’ll definitely start the promotion with secret shows where they play 1972 from start to finish

That would be amazing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, localinsomniac said:

You had me right up until the last line 🙃

okay, scratch that last line and replace it with a crapton of Gary Glitter samples.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I just realized something, and to me this confirms that these teasers are already months old. Look at the last 2 teasers.

In the first one, he’s clean shaven

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRS8FtKL/?k=1

2 days later he has a salt and pepper beard

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRS8JxW5/?k=1

Looks like the first one was while they were still recording and the next mixing or mastering. Honestly who knows with these guys, the album could have been done a year ago 😂

1 hour ago, Im.a.basket.case said:

Looks like the first one was while they were still recording and the next mixing or mastering. Honestly who knows with these guys, the album could have been done a year ago 😂

I don’t think so. Remember @pacejunkie punk’s daughter saw them recently when she was on a school trip at one of the recording studios

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I don’t think so. Remember @pacejunkie punk’s daughter saw them recently when she was on a school trip at one of the recording studios

That was at Henson Studios in May so I think they were mixing then since the recording already happened at RAK (October and March) and Ocean Way (not sure when - April maybe?) It’s gotta be done now.

• Like 3

I'm surprised we haven't gotten any tracklist leaks this time, real or fake, yet, and that's odd, even for 4Chan!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

But GDFan has a feeling. Doesn't that mean we should be getting an announcement and new single any day now??

Does anyone think Mike saying, "They have no idea!" in the latest teaser implies that it's coming soon?