1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRM5Qmj9/?k=1

“See you soon!😎🤘

1972 promotion coming soon?

Probably just talking about the tour man.. Album is probably still a ways off.

7 hours ago, Alf said:

Seriously, worst marketing ever... The guys are pushing their boundries with this album cycle

I don't think the official marketing has even started yet. They've put out a couple of teases, probably just to let the fans know there is something in the works. The stuff they did tease sounded suuuuper early, and I don't think it's going to be ready anytime soon, especially if they are taking the time to put something really special out.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Red said:

Probably just talking about the tour man.. Album is probably still a ways off.

I don't think the official marketing has even started yet. They've put out a couple of teases, probably just to let the fans know there is something in the works. The stuff they did tease sounded suuuuper early, and I don't think it's going to be ready anytime soon, especially if they are taking the time to put something really special out.

I agree, some of the recordings sound kinda raw, but maybe that's the sound they're going for this time

• Surprised 1

20 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Rumored by who and where?

the Redundant Podcast talked about it in their FOAM episode, possibly siting where they heard it.   

I thought the Green Day wiki fandom page said something about this as well, but there's nothing about it now.   

23 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I agree, some of the recordings sound kinda raw, but maybe that's the sound they're going for this time

They might go with something raw, but all music sounds raw when it's in the earliest stages.. which is what I think those videos were. The band members were also talking and experimenting quite a bit in the teasers from my memory, which usually indicates that things are pretty early... like just figuring out how the songs work levels of early (as opposed to just jamming the songs). It's been a while, so they've probably made a lot of progress since then, but they are also doing a huge tour right now. The videos themselves could have been old when the band decided to upload them too, but I think if that were the case, we'd have a lot more to go on by now.

I'm not saying that the release might not be around the corner, but I wouldn't hold my breath. These things take time and like I said before, I doubt the marketing has even started yet. If it has then Alf is absolutely right in saying that it's not very good marketing.

I remember the earliest days of me being a fan and how painful the wait between AI and 21CB felt. Looking back now it really wasn't that long (especially with SD&R) and it only felt that way because I was drooling over any news or rumours I could find online daily for way too long and spent way too much time doing it. Speculating was fun, but what I am trying to say here is that it'll go much faster if you keep yourself occupied with other things while you wait for proper news.

• Like 4

I still think that what happened is that they changed plans, because the first teasers, the ones that came with the tag #1972, seemed to indicate that something was coming soon, just on the latest that they seemed to be in studio working again.

As I said before, to me what happened is that #1792 would have been the rumored EP, and now it turned into something big

• Like 4

1972 will still be the name of the record.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red said:

They might go with something raw, but all music sounds raw when it's in the earliest stages.. which is what I think those videos were. The band members were also talking and experimenting quite a bit in the teasers from my memory, which usually indicates that things are pretty early... like just figuring out how the songs work levels of early (as opposed to just jamming the songs). It's been a while, so they've probably made a lot of progress since then, but they are also doing a huge tour right now. The videos themselves could have been old when the band decided to upload them too, but I think if that were the case, we'd have a lot more to go on by now.

I'm not saying that the release might not be around the corner, but I wouldn't hold my breath. These things take time and like I said before, I doubt the marketing has even started yet. If it has then Alf is absolutely right in saying that it's not very good marketing.

I remember the earliest days of me being a fan and how painful the wait between AI and 21CB felt. Looking back now it really wasn't that long (especially with SD&R) and it only felt that way because I was drooling over any news or rumours I could find online daily for way too long and spent way too much time doing it. Speculating was fun, but what I am trying to say here is that it'll go much faster if you keep yourself occupied with other things while you wait for proper news.

Like that Ocean Way teaser where Rob is helping them position the mic then Billie found the sweet spot

1 hour ago, Alf said:

I still think that what happened is that they changed plans, because the first teasers, the ones that came with the tag #1972, seemed to indicate that something was coming soon, just on the latest that they seemed to be in studio working again.

As I said before, to me what happened is that #1792 would have been the rumored EP, and now it turned into something big

And one day, Billie shared some Sweet Children album fan art in his Instagram story. So that got me thinking maybe that's what the album was going to be called this whole time and 1972 would be the name of a documentary of the making of the album

On 12/8/2021 at 9:40 PM, pacejunkie punk said:

I’m thinking once the BBC album comes out and the holidays pass we might actually get some real hints of a new release.   Could be an EP or album by April to support the spring/summer tour?

Throwing this in here too:

And here is the Sweet Children cover I was referring to!!!

Does anyone think they’ll end up teasing some small bits live soon? maybe even 30 sec teasers or billie sneaking in small lyrics, I’m dying here 

2 minutes ago, xWhatsername_ said:

Does anyone think they’ll end up teasing some small bits live soon? maybe even 30 sec teasers or billie sneaking in small lyrics, I’m dying here 

I thought we'd at least have a single this month before Lollapalooza. Someone should try to get a sneak peek at sounchecks like those lucky fans in 2010 who recorded Dreamcatcher and Stay the Night

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xWhatsername_ said:

I'm guessing no. We don't even get small bits from FOAM, Rev Rad(since they removed Still Breathing from the setlist), or the trilogy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zebahar said:

I'm guessing no. We don't even get small bits from FOAM, Rev Rad(since they removed Still Breathing from the setlist), or the trilogy.

Hella Mega was more of a greatest hits legacy tour. They're playing Lollapalooza without Weezer and Fall Out Boy so maybe they'll change things up a bit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I thought we'd at least have a single this month before Lollapalooza. Someone should try to get a sneak peek at sounchecks like those lucky fans in 2010 who recorded Dreamcatcher and Stay the Night

The new songs seem like they would sound very good alongside a newly revamped Dreamcatcher.    Us Idiot's would love it and I think the average music fan would too.    Dreamcatcher as the lead single, let's go! 

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, That Dude said:

The new songs seem like they would sound very good alongside a newly revamped Dreamcatcher.    Us Idiot's would love it and I think the average music fan would too.    Dreamcatcher as the lead single, let's go! 

The song in the first teaser has the same chord progression as Dreamcatcher and I thought, "Nah it can't be, can it?"

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

The song in the first teaser has the same chord progression as Dreamcatcher and I thought, "Nah it can't be, can it?"

I don't hear it, but you never know.  

I like the idea of making Dreamcatcher a massive, loud/quiet ballad with some rocking guitar work.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Hella Mega was more of a greatest hits legacy tour. They're playing Lollapalooza without Weezer and Fall Out Boy so maybe they'll change things up a bit.

I think the remaining performances this year will follow almost exactly the same setlist we saw the entire tour. 

Have they ever debuted a brand new song at a festival/stadium show before? Any time I can think of them debuting new music, they were in smaller, more intimate shows.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zebahar said:

I think the remaining performances this year will follow almost exactly the same setlist we saw the entire tour. 

Have they ever debuted a brand new song at a festival/stadium show before? Any time I can think of them debuting new music, they were in smaller, more intimate shows.

And the only new song they consistently played through the tour was Pollyanna because Billie wrote it about better days after the pandemic

4 hours ago, Zebahar said:

Have they ever debuted a brand new song at a festival/stadium show before? 

Cigarettes and Valentines. Not sure if it was a stadium or arena though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, michael1989 said:

Cigarettes and Valentines. Not sure if it was a stadium or arena though.

I'd forgotten that but yes they did. They started to play it in Denver on the 21CB tour in 2010 and for the rest of that leg of the tour. Shows at the time were being held in amphitheatres

2 hours ago, localinsomniac said:

Still boggles my mind that they never released a proper studio version of C&V

Next year marks the 20th anniversary of the C&V sessions, so I wonder if we'll ever get to hear the recordings. Because Mike once admitted that even though the session tapes were stolen, they still have the backups. So if that's the case, we'll potentially get 2 new albums next year, 1972 and C&V!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Next year marks the 20th anniversary of the C&V sessions, so I wonder if we'll ever get to hear the recordings. Because Mike once admitted that even though the session tapes were stolen, they still have the backups. So if that's the case, we'll potentially get 2 new albums next year, 1972 and C&V!!!

They also still have the masters - would be very stupid for them to minimize the release of a new big album with a legacy scrap heap release though. That’s a fill in the gaps release

• Like 2