1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

4 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

He could bite the bullet and get a teleprompter. I can see why he’d be reluctant to do that, but if it meant they could play more recent songs/have more varied setlists, it would be worth it and probably also easier to do for him.

It would be, but it would also inhibit his ability to move around the stage a bit, and he would need a pretty big scrolling font to see without his glasses. It would be an adjustment for sure. He’s already been using one for the KISS cover.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It would be, but it would also inhibit his ability to move around the stage a bit, and he would need a pretty big scrolling font to see without his glasses. It would be an adjustment for sure. He’s already been using one for the KISS cover.

Yes, it would definitely be a big change and it’s possible he’s putting it off for the stage of the career when he’s not running that much anymore, but he probably wouldn’t have to use it all the time and if it’d help to get us a few deep cuts every show, it would be a good deal  - we could handle him not running around for a few songs. But I see that maybe there’s a worry that the show would lose momentum. He uses a tablet that someone brings for the KISS cover, right? It seems to work for him well enough that he’s able to read from it… they could just give it a permanent spot on stage… or they could get a few and put one on the catwalk too so he’s not glued to the one he has. IMO if this is an issue for him, there should be way to find a good solution.

• Like 2

Robbie Williams uses a teleprompter for years now and he walks around on the stage. I think he got a few of them at different places of the stage 😄

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sanity Loan said:

Whenever <insert next album name> releases and the band has their own tour(s) in support of it, I would be shocked if we didn't return to the more dynamic setlists and ones that don't overtly pander to the "Oh, Green Day, I like their 'I Walk Alone' song from high school dances" crowds. Will they still play the hits? Of course; there will never be a tour show where the band doesn't play "Basket Case", "Good Riddance", etc.

I wouldn't even say that they're a band with 'dynamic setlists' - the Hella Mega Tour sets so far have been pretty much a replica of what they've played since 2005. Sure, they've thrown in the odd change between tours, like Nice Guys Finish Last, Burnout, 2,000 LYA and Geek Stink Breath on the 21st Century Breakdown tour, and then Scattered and Christie Road on the Rev Rad tour...but aside from that, they really are a 'play it safe' band and 95% of the songs on their setlist will be the same no matter what. 

Also, what's interesting to me is all the 30-50 year olds I know who would have liked Green Day 15-20 years ago have no intention of seeing them play on this tour because they tend to associate Green Day with their post American Idiot material. So if the Hella Mega Tour is intended to be a greatest hits tour, that really isn't clear to the average gig goer I don't believe. Nowhere in the advertising for my local show mentions it being a greatest hits tour anyway. Even the official HMT playlist on Spotify has material from FOAM and then some random songs like Warning and 2,000 LYA. 

54 minutes ago, Isabel said:

Also, what's interesting to me is all the 30-50 year olds I know who would have liked Green Day 15-20 years ago have no intention of seeing them play on this tour because they tend to associate Green Day with their post American Idiot material.

Well this is just not true. I mean, it depends what you mean by post-AI material, but assuming you mean the stuff they released after the American Idiot album, so 21st CB, the trilogy etc., then I have to ask "What?" I mean 15 years ago, AI was their most recent album, and 20 years ago AI didn't even exist

4 hours ago, nopride84 said:

Yeah theyre "too big" for that now. In 2022. Lmao

I don't think anyone's making the argument that GD in 2022 is huge. But their discography is huge, they have a huge amount of hit singles and when normal people who aren't mega fans like us attend a show, they expect to hear these singles

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christian&#x27;s Inferno! said:

Well this is just not true. I mean, it depends what you mean by post-AI material, but assuming you mean the stuff they released after the American Idiot album, so 21st CB, the trilogy etc., then I have to ask "What?" I mean 15 years ago, AI was their most recent album, and 20 years ago AI didn't even exist

So most people I know who were big Green Day fans growing up (they are now between the ages of 30-40) lost interest in Green Day around the time of, and after, American Idiot. 

So if this tour is being marketed towards the fans who are 30-50 years old and who would have been into Green Day maybe 20 or so years ago, the fact that there isn't a huge emphasis on it being a 'greatest hits' tour from a promotional view is just odd to me. Because otherwise you're going to assume that they'll be playing newer stuff that you don't know. Whereas if they focused more on the nostalgia element, maybe more people would be like "Fuck yeah, remember Green Day!? Have to go to this show!" 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sanity Loan said:

As much as they like their music, I'd have to imagine they're more than ready to switch things up. Unless more dates get announced, there's hopefully about one month left of this (god forbid it extends into this fall's lineup of festivals).

I hope this is it for the tour, which ends on July 2nd. And they have Lollapalooza just a few weeks after that. Like I said, I’m hoping we get a single in July

25 minutes ago, Isabel said:

So most people I know who were big Green Day fans growing up (they are now between the ages of 30-40) lost interest in Green Day around the time of, and after, American Idiot. 

So if this tour is being marketed towards the fans who are 30-50 years old and who would have been into Green Day maybe 20 or so years ago, the fact that there isn't a huge emphasis on it being a 'greatest hits' tour from a promotional view is just odd to me. Because otherwise you're going to assume that they'll be playing newer stuff that you don't know. Whereas if they focused more on the nostalgia element, maybe more people would be like "Fuck yeah, remember Green Day!? Have to go to this show!" 

I think it's more marketed towards fans of Green Day, Fall Out Boy and/or Weezer. If you're a fan of Fall Out Boy or Weezer and see that they're doing greatest hits, odds are you'll assume that GD are also doing greatest hits. I think the intention is if someone goes to the tour who's only really a fan of 1 or 2 of the bands, they'll see the hits of the other bands they're not familiar with and maybe want to hear more from them 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Christian&#x27;s Inferno! said:

I think it's more marketed towards fans of Green Day, Fall Out Boy and/or Weezer. If you're a fan of Fall Out Boy or Weezer and see that they're doing greatest hits, odds are you'll assume that GD are also doing greatest hits. I think the intention is if someone goes to the tour who's only really a fan of 1 or 2 of the bands, they'll see the hits of the other bands they're not familiar with and maybe want to hear more from them 

Did Weezer and Fall Out Boy play any of their lesser known songs?

17 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

Did Weezer and Fall Out Boy play any of their lesser known songs?

Kevin just posted that Weezer played I Just Threw Out the Love of my Dreams tonight

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Kevin just posted that Weezer played I Just Threw Out the Love of my Dreams tonight

Not really a lesser known song anymore though. Recently got decently popular on Tik Tok. Still really cool to see them bringing that out. 

8 hours ago, Christian&#x27;s Inferno! said:

But that's what I mean, it's not being marketed that way. Or maybe it is in the US, but in Europe there's no mention of greatest hits anywhere so it just looks like a well stacked tour for fans of that music. That was just my observation anyway. 

Just now, Isabel said:

But that's what I mean, it's not being marketed that way. Or maybe it is in the US, but in Europe there's no mention of greatest hits anywhere so it just looks like a well stacked tour for fans of that music. That was just my observation anyway. 

They’re not calling it a biggest hits tour because they still have a modicum of dignity - that’s why they came up with hella mega

• Like 3

17 hours ago, legendary said:

I don't know If makes sense, but I think this Greatest Hits tour/Hella Mega can be the way they found to reach more people and grab more fans for shows in the future

If I remember well, they was struggling to sell tickets in big venues in the recent past.

i had the exact same thought!

after foam they knew they had to do hellamega to remember the masses what GD is capable of, many people are interested again in GD, so after hellamega they can blast the shit out of the music industry with sth close to dookie/ai and then do a "real" tour again

I still think Green Day are at a place in their career where they don't have to reserve deep cuts or rarities for theater shows. For Hella Mega, the same setlist makes sense, but for their regular tours? They can definitely change it up. There are bands who have been going longer than them and who sell out stadiums that change it up every night. Green Day can do the same. They just have to say fuck it and do it. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Yeah GD need to mix it up for sure. Look at Pearl Jam.

I am pretty tired of the same old same old

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, steve46 said:

In Europe we don‘t care about the fact that the setlist is more or less the same. We‘re just happy that the guys are coming to us, especially in a little country like Austria.

Not really… i would go to more than one show if the setlist was more varied

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, steve46 said:

In Europe we don‘t care about the fact that the setlist is more or less the same. We‘re just happy that the guys are coming to us, especially in a little country like Austria.

I disagree. Yes, were there a mega hella show in Switzerland, I’d probably go, but since there isn’t, this year I won’t bother to travel anywhere else to see them. On the other hand, if this were their own tour, with even the slightest possibility of a setlist shake-up and a few new songs from their latest album, I’d probably try to travel to Germany, Italy or Austria etc. to see them. And if the setlist got anywhere near as dynamic as in the 21CB (or even trilogy) days, I’d happily see them several times, in different places.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jengd said:

Being in Scotland, I’ve only managed to see them three times so far so frankly they could be singing Sesame Street songs and I’d go to see them. 

just under 3 weeks until they are back in Scotland again :ga:

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, Montclare said:

I think Billie'd be okay with that.

205892416_10226733198895063_244132084344

A4HmkF2.png

PQiNRIY.png

Can you tell me how to get

How to get to this empty street?

• Haha 4