1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

13 minutes ago, legendary said:

Maybe we've overestimated the 50th birthday thing.

They can release It in 2030 but celebrating their origins calling It 1972 with no problem.

More to the point, they could still drop a single somehow related to the 1972 hashtag this year, with the album next year being called something else. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

More to the point, they could still drop a single somehow related to the 1972 hashtag this year, with the album next year being called something else. 

I still think we could be getting a 6 track 1972 EP this year, and a full length album next year.

• Like 1

Why do I have a slight feeling the single may get announced in August and released either in September or October?🤔

• Like 1

One thing I don't understand, is that why would they start teasing a 2023 release in 2021? Yes, I know, December, but still...

• Like 2

FOAM (single) was released in September. The record in February. 
I think we will get something this year. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HAPPY FINKING UNICORN said:

FOAM (single) was released in September. The record in February. 
I think we will get something this year. 

Are they still under Warner’s control?

• Like 1

Okay, I've pulled out my "wait between albums" file again.

I've calculated it both with and without the Trilogy, but this time around we are ignoring the Trilogy, because that's what Green Day, the bastards.   

Without the great Trilogy, the average wait time between albums is 2 years, 3 months and 5 days   (if this math is wrong, please the past version of me and not this present day me.  Thank you).  

Father of All came out February 7th, 2020 so if the next album were to be the exact average,   we're looking at a (Friday) May 13th, 2022.     Very lucky.  

The quickest turnaround has already went by with a year and 8 months between Dookie and Insomniac.  

And the longest?   Oh boy.   The wait between Idiot and Breakdown was torturous with 4 years, 7 months and 24 days.     That would put the next album out on October 24th, 2024.    Please don't be that far off.

But enough averages.   Let say Green Day have found their groove starting with Rev Rad, which was 3 years, 9 months and 26 days after Tre.   Maybe their are happy with that time span.    Enough time to rest, find inspiration, write and record.     

That would put us at a December 1st, 2023 release date.   Not ideal, but an absolute banger / return to form would make for a great Christmas gift if it were marketed right.   

And finally, there is that sweet, sweet month of October that seems to work well for the band, and myself.    

October 17th, 2023 sounds good.  

And since we're all going mad with speculation, the Foxboro Hot Tubs can put out what they call their "third" album since Dos kind of counted as their sophomore slump, lol.    Foxboro Hot Tubs return, with kind of a Longshot vibe blended with 1980's pop music.    

OH YEAH.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The_real_st_jimmy said:

Why do I have a slight feeling the single may get announced in August and released either in September or October?🤔

The tour ends on July 2nd so I’m hoping for a single before Lollapalooza on the 28th!!!

• Like 3

If the album comes in October 2023, the lead single would be around May 12thish.

Okay, maybe someone has seen this already but I just saw it.

Foam was first mentioned December 9th 2018.  It came out February 7 2020.  A year and 2 months later.

1972 was mentioned around the same time of the year on December 8th 2021.   So it stands to reason the album drops on February 6th, 2023. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, That Dude said:

If the album comes in October 2023, the lead single would be around May 12thish.

Foam was first mentioned December 9th 2018.  It came out February 7 2020.  A year and 2 months later.

1972 was mentioned around the same time of the year on December 8th 2021.   So it stands to reason the album drops on February 6th, 2023. 

What do you mean FOAM was first mentioned December 9th 2018? The band started teasing that they were making a new album? The album title was mentioned? Cause I remember the album title being teased shortly before the first single

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, That Dude said:

2018? I don‘t remember that. 

• Like 1

Just now, GDFan2019 said:

2018? I don‘t remember that. 

On December 9, 2018, lead vocalist Billie Joe Armstrong revealed that he was writing new songs for an upcoming Green Day album.[7] As recording sessions for the album took place, the band had recorded sixteen songs. However, the band found it difficult to string together all 16 tracks, so they narrowed it down to the ten tracks they felt were the best to make the final cut.

According to Armstrong, the band wanted to make a "sort of old-timey rock 'n' roll record that traces the history of rock 'n' roll". He stated that the album was inspired by glam rock acts such as "T. Rex or Mott the Hoople, to Martha and the Vandellas, and also some garage rock." "'Father of All...' feels like it's somewhere in between Prince and MC5," Armstrong said.[8]  - Wikipedia.

Could be wrong, but that's what it says.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

What do you mean FOAM was first mentioned December 9th 2018? The band started teasing that they were making a new album? The album title was mentioned? Cause I remember the album title being teased shortly before the first single

Yeah!!! We figured out they were in the studio with Butch Walker when we recognized Tré’s drum kit in that Instagram video, which I believe Butch posted in April 2019

1 minute ago, That Dude said:

On December 9, 2018, lead vocalist Billie Joe Armstrong revealed that he was writing new songs for an upcoming Green Day album.[7] As recording sessions for the album took place, the band had recorded sixteen songs. However, the band found it difficult to string together all 16 tracks, so they narrowed it down to the ten tracks they felt were the best to make the final cut.

According to Armstrong, the band wanted to make a "sort of old-timey rock 'n' roll record that traces the history of rock 'n' roll". He stated that the album was inspired by glam rock acts such as "T. Rex or Mott the Hoople, to Martha and the Vandellas, and also some garage rock." "'Father of All...' feels like it's somewhere in between Prince and MC5," Armstrong said.[8]  - Wikipedia.

Could be wrong, but that's what it says.   

That’s what I figured, but then again, Billie’s probably always writing new music

• Like 2

Found this thread from December 9th 2018

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Found this thread from December 9th 2018

Difference is that they were already in the studio by December 2021

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jonny smith said:

Let’s be honest. They’re recording in 3 different studios. We’ve heard 5-6 different songs thus far. It’s an album. Finish it in July after the tour. Mix it late summer, November release date for the Grand Prix F1 performance 

September single?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jonny smith said:

Let’s be honest. They’re recording in 3 different studios. We’ve heard 5-6 different songs thus far. It’s an album. Finish it in July after the tour. Mix it late summer, November release date for the Grand Prix F1 performance 

I vote for this. I’ll be at that show I want to hear some new songs 😊

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I vote for this. I’ll be at that show I want to hear some new songs 😊

Or how about a July single before Lollapalooza?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

September single?

Like Geek Stink Breath, Let Yourself Go and Father of All.  

Interesting.      

6 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Or how about a July single before Lollapalooza?

Yes please! I’m going to Lolla to see them!

• Like 2

There is still a (very slim) chance that we get a single this week if they do want to switch out Pollyanna for these shows. But I'm not counting on that being the case.

• Like 2