1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

19 minutes ago, M1KEY said:

The date on those 80's SSL Consoles cannot go past 1999 so they tend to just set a year on them, but the other info would be manually entered and current/correct.

I wonder why they went with 1985 instead of 1972

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

I wondered that as well. Since it's an 80's console maybe that's the year it was made or purchased or has some meaning to someone. Maybe the date can't be changed anymore. I just don't think 1985 is an easter egg.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

CLA prob keeps it at that

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Just got an email from Green Day that has this to say about the Oakland Coffee subscriptions:

The new subscription includes coffee for the year, first dibs on a special numbered edition of our next vinyl that’s coming featuring a special color for Oakland Coffee Club subscribers (more on that from them soon).

Sure it will be the cigarettes and valentines track.

they've been wanting to release it for a long time

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Just got an email from Green Day that has this to say about the Oakland Coffee subscriptions:

The new subscription includes coffee for the year, first dibs on a special numbered edition of our next vinyl that’s coming featuring a special color for Oakland Coffee Club subscribers (more on that from them soon).

2 minutes ago, redline punk said:

Sure it will be the cigarettes and valentines track.

they've been wanting to release it for a long time

The way they say "our next vinyl" leads me to believe this will be a special edition of 1972

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

The way they say "our next vinyl" leads me to believe this will be a special edition of 1972

I thought so too at first but now I’m thinking it might be an anniversary edition of Kerplunk

• Like 3

What if Green Day came out and said they are uninspired, out of ideas and are going to give us Cigarettes' and Valentines in a few months because they just don't care anymore?  

How awesome would that be?  

:) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, That Dude said:

What if Green Day came out and said they are uninspired, out of ideas and are going to give us Cigarettes' and Valentines in a few months because they just don't care anymore?  

How awesome would that be?  

:) 

Nah, I’m not ready for the end of Green Day. They can give C&V to us when they really are ready to pack it in, in another decade or two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Nah, I’m not ready for the end of Green Day. They can give C&V to us when they really are ready to pack it in, in another decade or two.

For the most part they already have though, unless you're referring to those specific recording sessions (that is assuming of course what we have heard were re-recordings, we do know some were obviously) 

We've heard Too Much Too Soon, Shoplifter , Governator and Favorite Son which are most likely the originals. 

We have heard Horseshoes and Handgrenades - the version on 21cb and of course the Lights Out 21cb version

The Pedestrian was on the FBHT along with Broadway

Cigarettes and Valentines was on the live album

Walk Away was on Tre

We haven't heard Too Young, End of the World, Lately, Waste Away, Dropout and the 19th Nervous Breakdown cover but bits and pieces of those were reworked into other songs. 

I think C&V definitely would have still gotten the band out of that slump they got in with Warning but it probably would have been short-lived. One thing about AI is that many of the songs helped optimize their live show which is something they were actively working on at the time. AI also set up a specific path for the follow up in 21cb. Where would they have gone from C&V? 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

For the most part they already have though, unless you're referring to those specific recording sessions (that is assuming of course what we have heard were re-recordings, we do know some were obviously) 

We've heard Too Much Too Soon, Shoplifter , Governator and Favorite Son which are most likely the originals. 

We have heard Horseshoes and Handgrenades - the version on 21cb and of course the Lights Out 21cb version

Walk Away was on Tre

We haven't heard Too Young, End of the World, Lately, Waste Away, Dropout and the 19th Nervous Breakdown cover but bits and pieces of those were reworked into other songs. 

I think C&V definitely would have still gotten the band out of that slump they got in with Warning but it probably would have been short-lived. One thing about AI is that many of the songs helped optimize their live show which is something they were actively working on at the time. AI also set up a specific path for the follow up in 21cb. Where would they have gone from C&V? 

Wasn't Youngblood originally a C&V track as well?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheenius said:

Walk Away was on Tre

Walk Away was on Tre

No I'm just behind on the news! Been busy and following along from the outskirts. 

I will say I am still cautiously optimistic about the album. As a Green Day fan it's just the stance I've been taking after the last series of albums. But it does seem promising having Rob back and I don't think bands spend the money to reserve Oceanway if they're just fucking around and putting out another album. There is most likely some significance to what they're working on. They must be atleast aiming for this to be a solid GD record. 

Then again, it's GD and they are one of the few bands that could reserve Oceanway just because they feel like it. 

The snippets we heard are quite interesting but then again I could take three or four 5-second snippets from FOAMF that would make you anticipate more than it actually was right? 

In conclusion, I am happy to see Rob, a real producer and him in a proper environment. Green Day is such a great band but it's definitely highlighted more when they record something in the most professional manner. Don't get me wrong, I could record them in my basement and they'd sound incredible but that talent deserves the extra push that Rob can give them at Oceanway. I just hope this album is getting the treatment that our standard Green Day records got. 

Dookie, Insomniac, Nimrod, Warning, AI and 21cb had a lot of love and care in the studio and in the songwriting process and it shows. 

Didn't realize The Pedestrian was part of C&V. What evidence is there of that?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

Didn't realize The Pedestrian was part of C&V. What evidence is there of that?

There's no evidence. Really there isn't evidence of any of those tracks being on C&V except for the track C&V. There's only evidence that songs were written around that time or existed around that time. And some tracks that people say are part of C&V are just pulled out of thin air like Walk Away, a track which we know nothing about in terms of when it was written

47 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

There's no evidence. Really there isn't evidence of any of those tracks being on C&V except for the track C&V. There's only evidence that songs were written around that time or existed around that time. And some tracks that people say are part of C&V are just pulled out of thin air like Walk Away, a track which we know nothing about in terms of when it was written

Actually, all the tracks mentioned above by @Sheenius were taken from this picture shared by John Roecker a few years ago:

https://imgur.com/a/Z1xpDYz

in the image we can see acording to him, a raw version of the idiot sessions, and a cd with all the b-sides from that era that the fans assumed that were the C&V sessions

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

The only real evidence is that B-sides disc Roecker posted a photo of a year or two back. Interestingly enough, the tracklist didn't feature the song C&V.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

The only real evidence is that B-sides disc Roecker posted a photo of a year or two back. Interestingly enough, the tracklist didn't feature the song C&V.

it does include C&V. i posted a link to the pic in the post above

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alf said:

it does include C&V. i posted a link to the pic in the post above

Oops. Missed your post, that's what I get for working from memory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alf said:

Actually, all the tracks mentioned above by @Sheenius were taken from this picture shared by John Roecker a few years ago:

https://imgur.com/a/Z1xpDYz

in the image we can see acording to him, a raw version of the idiot sessions, and a cd with all the b-sides from that era that the fans assumed that were the C&V sessions

I wonder if we’ll get to hear these rare tracks in a special edition package!! September 21, 2024 marks the 20th anniversary of American Idiot!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

I wonder if we’ll get to hear these rare tracks in a special edition package!! September 21, 2024 marks the 20th anniversary of American Idiot!!!

One of these days we will, just a question of when. I'd bet the Insomniac 25th was a trial balloon to see how well that kind of thing would sell. 

• Like 2