1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

I'm not going to expect something too different to FOAMF

Ik they'll likely shift gears a bit because FOAMF didn't work and I think they know that. But I'm not expecting something completely different. And also I don't want to get my hopes too high

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/14/2022 at 12:15 PM, Flashback said:

Hopefully not. He‘s a great engineer, but the songs that he mixes have sooo much low end and are so boomy. Maybe he mixed the Max Creeps stuff, because Melissa Reese commented the post

Maybe, but I think that may just be wishful thinking. I mean, it's amazing enough that Rob is back, but CLA being back too? Seems unlikely (can't have everything in this life). I'd looove more than anything to be proved wrong though. 

I mean it's a matter of preference, but here you can hear what Chris Lorde-Alge vs. Chris Dugan mixing sounds like. I think it's pretty clear which is superior. 

I mean imo Dugan's mix is just weird. Super punchy kick I guess, but not much else going for it. Another example (the quality of the AAF videos is obviously better, but the mix isn't) 

• Like 3

MCR vibes blended with American Idiot era vibes would be amazing…

Dramatic and interesting and spectacular!

Not a concept album like a rock opera that has been done but with passion and creativity is what I mean.

Hopefully 1972 is a story telling album with lots of great stories and intrigue. Passion and a personal touch and speaking from the heart. The stuff Green Day is best at when they’re firing on all cylinders haha.

• Like 2

How about a Green Day mix-tape style album?   

That would be unique for the band.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Then what could have been the reason for a five month wait when the single was out in September?  

Sara just posted in her story that she’s in Oakland.  1972 related, festival rehearsal or both?

They needed something to release to hype the hella mega tour and a way to boost pre sales for both album & ticket sales. Really it was smart. Release a single in connection with a tour that’s announced before a majority of other summer tours to get more sales. 

In todays world of single downloads/streaming does it really matter to the timeline when most people only buy select songs?  

also, what happens for one album is not what will happen for the next, necessarily.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Squashie said:

They needed something to release to hype the hella mega tour and a way to boost pre sales for both album & ticket sales. Really it was smart. Release a single in connection with a tour that’s announced before a majority of other summer tours to get more sales. 

In todays world of single downloads/streaming does it really matter to the timeline when most people only buy select songs?  

also, what happens for one album is not what will happen for the next, necessarily.

Not sure how smart it was when by the time it came out most people forgot they were even releasing an album. It sold only about 48,000 units. Maybe it would have been better to have released it before the hype completely died down. 

• Like 4

I agree with @Squashie re releasing the first single but I also agree with @pacejunkie punk that the gap was far too long but I see this sort of time between singles and albums all over the music industry, it’s not just GD.  Absolutely hate it myself, why ever they do it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

Maybe, but I think that may just be wishful thinking. I mean, it's amazing enough that Rob is back, but CLA being back too? Seems unlikely (can't have everything in this life). I'd looove more than anything to be proved wrong though. 

I mean it's a matter of preference, but here you can here what Chris Lorde-Alge vs. Chris Dugan mixing sounds like. I think it's pretty clear which is superior. 

I mean imo Dugan's mix is just weird. Super punchy kick I guess, but not much else going for it. Another example (the quality of the AAF videos is obviously better, but the mix isn't) 

It‘s almost shocking how big the difference is! It would be great if CLA and also Ted Jensen were back together for 1972!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flashback said:

It‘s almost shocking how big the difference is! It would be great if CLA and also Ted Jensen were back together for 1972!

Agreed. Specifically, the Ted Jensen mastered 2006/2009 Vinyl release of American Idiot is probably the best sounding Green Day record ever from an audiophile's perspective. Simply exquisite. 

In terms of the CLA thing, there were some rumours that Doug McKean was the other person in the studio picture. If that's true, then I suppose it would be kinda weird if they went to Chris Dugan for mixing, because all the rest of the "AI Team" seems to have been assembled. Like, add CLA and you'd have the lot. Ok Ted Jensen would be missing, but AI is the only record Rob, Doug, Dugan and CLA ever worked on together. 

To be fair to Dugan, his mixing isn't the worst. He can't be blamed for the mix on RevRad for instance and both Stop Drop And Roll and Last Night On Earth: Live In Tokyo are alright. It's just that CLA's mixes are better and more consistent. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

Agreed. Specifically, the Ted Jensen mastered 2006/2009 Vinyl release of American Idiot is probably the best sounding Green Day record ever from an audiophile's perspective. Simply exquisite. 

In terms of the CLA thing, there were some rumours that Doug McKean was the other person in the studio picture. If that's true, then I suppose it would be kinda weird if they went to Chris Dugan for mixing, because all the rest of the "AI Team" seems to have been assembled. Like, add CLA and you'd have the lot. Also, AI is the only record Rob, Doug, Dugan and CLA worked on together. 

To be fair to Dugan, his mixing isn't the worst. He can't be blamed for the mix on RevRad for instance and both Stop Drop And Roll and Last Night On Earth: Live In Tokyo are alright. It's just that CLA's mixes are better and more consistent. 

I mean, what else could Dugan be mixing in Oakland?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcT3Y_mvcFN/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

10 hours ago, Liam said:

I love people speculating on the sound of the album based off of Billie’s hair colour

Never change, GDC 

I'm pretty sure I can extrapolate the sound, lyrics and full tracklist based on Billie's hair. 

Just give me the signal, and I'll be there with a whole new list of intriguing song titles.

Suspenseful with a pencil ever since Billie Joe sang like Prince who turned himself into a symbol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

IF he’s mixing, it’s more likely not Green Day than it is Green Day - he has mixed like four other records in the last year. But he also hashtagged recording and engineer, and since he’s their recording engineer I’d say it’s more likely they’re recording with him than him mixing a final product

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

The post doesn't say anything about mixing though. In fact, the caption reads #engineer. It also reads #recording, which I thought had been done in London already?

I get that this is all wishful thinking in the end, because it also occured to me that if Doug is indeed on the team (which is not confirmed), then it's not so likely Dugan would be down to do assistent engineering (like for AI) and would probably prefer to do mixing instead, something that he has done for the band before. On the other hand, besides FOAM, Dugan has only ever mixed live records for Green Day (and the FBHT record). Given FOAM's reception, a position as engineer perhaps seems more likely, though that would probably mean that Doug McKean is not back as their engineer. Equally, Dugan not doing the mixing does not mean CLA is the one that will.

To be honest, we're mostly grasping at straws here. The truth is, we just don't know much at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

That wink must mean something is actually happening!!!

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4783w5q5vfy6fzovzqhn

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

The post doesn't say anything about mixing though. In fact, the caption reads #engineer. It also reads #recording, which I thought had been done in London already?

I get that this is all wishful thinking in the end, because it also occured to me that if Doug is indeed on the team (which is not confirmed), then it's not so likely Dugan would be down to do assistent engineering (like for AI) and would probably prefer to do mixing instead, something that he has done for the band before. On the other hand, besides FOAM, Dugan has only ever mixed live records for Green Day (and the FBHT record). Given FOAM's reception, a position as engineer perhaps seems more likely, though that would probably mean that Doug McKean is not back as their engineer. Equally, Dugan not doing the mixing does not mean CLA is the one that will.

To be honest, we're mostly grasping at straws here. The truth is, we just don't know much at this point.

FOAM was mixed by Tchad Blake, Dugan just recorded/engineered

• Like 1