1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

8 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

The whole public perception of the band and the trilogy changed after the iHeart Radio incident. There was a lot of hype and critical acclaim before shit hit the fan. It absolutely would have been received better if things went as planned. 

Absolutely!!! Just look at how the fans stormed the stage during Let Yourself Go at the 2012 MTV VMAs!!!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

Ya'll are still too attached to the old ways of doing things. For a better idea of possibilities look at Weezer's OK Human or SZNS project. Releases officially announced with a single just a week or so before the album drops. Also, if Billie wants to dye his hair for the new album he will lol. But I don't think it's any indication that things are happening.

There is no “old way of doing things” it’s however they choose to do it and sometimes dependent on practical limitations like manufacturing.  They can drop a release online in a minute and take preorders for vinyl but for whatever reason GD chose not to do that for FOAM. Instead they made fans wait five months after a single for the album. That wasn’t the old days, that was their last album. So no telling what they’ll do this time but trends or what other bands do don’t seem to have much to do with it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

There is no “old way of doing things” it’s however they choose to do it and sometimes dependent on practical limitations like manufacturing.  They can drop a release online in a minute and take preorders for vinyl but for whatever reason GD chose not to do that for FOAM. Instead they made fans wait five months after a single for the album. That wasn’t the old days, that was their last album. So no telling what they’ll do this time but trends or what other bands do don’t seem to have much to do with it.

Well no, they were still explicitly bound by their last contract for FOAM. We're in No Man's Land now. 

• Like 1

My guess is single in may, single in july, single in august and album in september

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon Benjamin said:

It’s doable though, I don’t know why so many artists have such a long vinyl wait, about a year ago I had LP’s pressed and in hand in less than 2 months from a major plant. 

So, the last time Jakob streamed on twitch which was around January, someone asked him about the wait for the vinyl and he said it was because there is currently a shortage in the industry right now and artists really have no idea on when they'll get the vinyls done. However, Ultra Q's vinyl was just released this month so I don't know if things are as bad as he made them seem. 

• Like 1

But however long the wait is for vinyl, GD could still have chosen to relase FOAM earlier digitally but they didn't.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

The whole public perception of the band and the trilogy changed after the iHeart Radio incident. There was a lot of hype and critical acclaim before shit hit the fan. It absolutely would have been received better if things went as planned. 

I don't agree with this. Maybe it would've been more commercially successful because the band would've gotten to promote it more. But critically I don't think it would've been received much better. The problems that people talk about with the trilogy are present and still would've been present regardless of what happened at iHeartRadio. Dos & Tré weren't released yet. I like the trilogy a lot but the lyrical content is subpar, there are tracks in there that just aren't the standard of what was expected based on AI, 21CB and what they did before.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

But however long the wait is for vinyl, GD could still have chosen to relase FOAM earlier digitally but they didn't.

We don't know that they had that option. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I never got the impression that FOAM was delayed because of vinyl. I think the shortage happened after FOAM was released because of manufacturing shutdowns in 2020 due to the VID.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I don't agree with this. Maybe it would've been more commercially successful because the band would've gotten to promote it more. But critically I don't think it would've been received much better. The problems that people talk about with the trilogy are present and still would've been present regardless of what happened at iHeartRadio. Dos & Tré weren't released yet. I like the trilogy a lot but the lyrical content is subpar, there are tracks in there that just aren't the standard of what was expected based on AI, 21CB and what they did before.

A huge part of critical reception is public image. If not for the incident many of these 'faults' would be overlooked because the band had built up so much goodwill by that point. I'm not saying it would have been day and night, but it surely would have made a huge difference. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Squashie said:

I never got the impression that FOAM was delayed because of vinyl. I think the shortage happened after FOAM was released because of manufacturing shutdowns in 2020 due to the VID.

Then what could have been the reason for a five month wait when the single was out in September?  

Sara just posted in her story that she’s in Oakland.  1972 related, festival rehearsal or both?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GDFan2019 said:

Absolutely!!! Just look at how the fans stormed the stage during Let Yourself Go at the 2012 MTV VMAs!!!

This was a fun performance. Spoilers: the non-famous people rocking out at the VMAs are paid extras. MTV wants it to look really exciting and people who like GD probably wouldn't rock out to BTS and vice-versa. Since the show is ~3 hours, its easiest to cast young, hip people to look like they're having a great time. That being said, I'm sure some of them are legitimate fans.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aahhhh said:

That being said, I'm sure some of them are legitimate fans.

I know for a fact a few GDC members were in there. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Then what could have been the reason for a five month wait when the single was out in September?  

Crush‘s marketing „strategy“

• Like 2

Isn't a digital release and vinyl pre-orders what they did with MM Pt. 2?

5 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

Isn't a digital release and vinyl pre-orders what they did with MM Pt. 2?

Yeah but then they didn’t expect many sales with that little side project anyway, unlike with GD releases where they expect to do better. I hope they’ve rethought that strategy though because even with holding back the digital release, sales of FOAM were abysmal so fans were forced to wait and it didn’t even work to boost sales.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnonymWarnerGermany said:

My guess is single in may, single in july, single in august and album in september

Well then Wake up when Sept…. no I won’t go there 😂

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, GDFan2019 said:

Thats a floor not a stage

7 minutes ago, nopride84 said:

Thats a floor not a stage

And maybe 30% of those people were fans

• Haha 1

Insomniac vibes I’m hoping for. Fast aggressive and a fuck you attitude. Insomniac was so raw and I’d love some Insomniac sounds on their new release  

• Like 3
  • Love 1