1972 project speculation thread

GDFan2019

I don't know if it's been mentioned before but before 21CB was released Green Day recorded some tracks from it for Channel 4 TV at Abbey Road. Any chance in addition to recording at RAK they could be doing something like that? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I don't know if it's been mentioned before but before 21CB was released Green Day recorded some tracks from it for Channel 4 TV at Abbey Road. Any chance in addition to recording at RAK they could be doing something like that? 

That Abbey Road performance was sooooo good! A repeat would be excellent.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I don't know why but I'm feeling like the reveal is still far away, like 5+ months.
Hope to be wrong 🤔

Okay well I swore to not get my hopes up. These last couple days are doing their damnedest to challenge my resolve, however.

#GDXIV

#MCMLXXII

I’m still trying very hard not to hype myself too much and keep my expectations lower, but it’s getting harder and harder 

everything about this project feels special somehow 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think people should calm down with the whole "This is gonna sound like Dookie/American Idiot/Nimrod/Insomniac" etc. Every time a new single comes along, there are always people saying "This sounds like 90's Green Day" and then the rest of the album comes out and everyone's like "We couldn't have been more wrong". We've literally only heard seconds of the new album and we've not even heard any vocals yet.

Yes I know. It looks like Cavallo is back producing. That doesn't mean it's gonna be an Idiotesque album. 

The only vocals we actually heard were in the first teaser. “Woa-a-o-oh!!! Woa-a-o-oh!!!”

They're saying this album will be the real successor to American Idiot

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, redline punk said:

They're saying this album will be the real successor to American Idiot

16 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Who's "they"?

I was the one here that said it’s giving me American Idiot vibes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

I was the one here that said it’s giving me American Idiot vibes

Yeah but I’m wondering who the person who posted is referring to

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think people should calm down with the whole "This is gonna sound like Dookie/American Idiot/Nimrod/Insomniac" etc. Every time a new single comes along, there are always people saying "This sounds like 90's Green Day" and then the rest of the album comes out and everyone's like "We couldn't have been more wrong". We've literally only heard seconds of the new album and we've not even heard any vocals yet.

Yes I know. It looks like Cavallo is back producing. That doesn't mean it's gonna be an Idiotesque album. 

Amen to this. I think the last teaser we heard is a strong indication that at least one song or more will probably be reminiscent of 90s Green Day. That said, the vocals will almost certainly be different and the other teasers we've had up until this point also paint a slightly different picture than the most recent one. I think the safest prediction we can make at this point is that the project/record will sound more like "classic Green Day" or from the "Cavallo era", both of which of course are very broad terms. That's enough to get me excited though. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

To me the Cavallo era is synonymous with 90's Green Day and if you include American Idiot, Green Day at their best.  Doesn't mean shit can't happen but it seems like their intentions here are pretty pure and just based on the amount of teases we've had now they're obviously very excited about what they're doing

He produced the Trilogy, so it's not all gold from him. He seemed like a big "yes man" in Cuatro.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DookieLukie said:

He produced the Trilogy, so it's not all gold from him. He seemed like a big "yes man" in Cuatro.

That was the "doesn't mean shit can't happen" part of my post, but really he was just doing what Billie wanted at the time and I think they convinced themselves it would be a cool different sound for them.  It was just something to try after they were known for distorted guitars all the time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

To me the Cavallo era is synonymous with 90's Green Day and if you include American Idiot, Green Day at their best.  Doesn't mean shit can't happen but it seems like their intentions here are pretty pure and just based on the amount of teases we've had now they're obviously very excited about what they're doing

I totally agree with you & I don‘t want to drag on the Trilogy BUT I hate the production of these records & my biggest association with the name 'Rob Cavallo' is him saying 'It takes balls to record these songs' in Quatro or something like that. I just think it‘s funny that everyone here loves Cavallo (with good reason ofc) whilst I always think back to 16 y/o me being outraged at him for this blatant lie 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

If Quatro is to be taken as representative of what their creative process was like for the trilogy, they haven't tried anything else other than patting each other on the back... that doesn't tend to be the way ideas get improved. It could be that they've reflected on it (and it could be that they didn't).

Exactly why Pollyanna is so great!    Billie Joe said he didn't think there was any room for happy lyrics in Punk.... and look at what happened?   They came out with a song that that was needed for the current point in history.    I hope that Pollyanna gets advertised a lot more than just a sprinkle here and there.   We need more sprinkles!!!!   

• Like 1

Mike posted on his story 'Team Chris'.. anybody know what that means?

I might just be completely oblivious to something completely unrelated to Green Day but what if he's talking about Dugan and Lord-Alge 🤔

Edit - I'm stupid

this forum has me thinking about new Green Day non stop it's not good for me

• Like 1